Eva 1.0 fansubs get hit with a cease and desist

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Wait... "shakycam"? Are you talking about Funi? I think both cat42 and I thought you were talking about something totally different.....
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:43 pm

My understanding is he was bitching about FUNimation being assholes for asking fansubbers to stop distributing the movie. By my understanding, what they asked people to cease and desist doing, was distributing the movie.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Okay, then it was just me being the retard.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:07 am

(Moved from FUNimation DVD drum-up thread for some reason. So the bits that don't make sense? That's why. You'd think them being slimeballs would be pertinent to any discussion about 1.0 under their license, but whatever.)

Parts directly relevant to thread are in bold.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any sources that confirm exactly who got these cease and desist notices. Movies are sort of tricky, because there generally isn't an established fanbase that have committed the resources to mirroring the content. Like, you can find up-to-date Naruto for free on non-torrent resources, but films not based on an established series... shit appears to be torrented, mostly.

Cease and desisting a tracker. Funny.

I suppose it would be safer to draw issue with FUNimation's tactic of preemptive legal actions. Reading between the lines from the notice Dartz acquired second-hand:
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=205578#205578
It looks like FUNimation is leveraging future licensing opportunities to get what amounts to NTV et. al's power of attorney in the United States. There are all sorts of treaties in place that guarantee that NTV could get the cease and desist notice (or, depending on what the treaty called for, something worse) themselves if they really wanted it. I'm wondering if FUNimation would even have sufficient stake to bring action against any of the people they threatened during that period between legal action and official acknowledgment of acquisition.
Could be totally legal. Just seems shady.

Either way, doesn't alter that I've got a dandy DVD with a fan sub already and, like I said before, they'd have to do BluRay to get my attention.

Now, if they were planning something awesome like, say, releasing 2.0 within a six (three month? How does it work over there?) month window of Japanese release... then I might have to buy 1.0 to, you know, thank them. Consumers vote with their dollars. I just don't want to encourage a damned johnny-come-lately.

(Also, they ruined DBZ when the acquired it. Yes, I'm bitter. Yes, I know the DBZ season collections are supposed to be pretty well sourced and treated, I don't care.)
Last edited by arkiel on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 am

Didn't occur to you that you were in the totally wrong thread, arkiel?

:splits and merges...:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”