Eva 1.0 fansubs get hit with a cease and desist

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:41 pm

holiday edition?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:02 pm

V wrote:...you were at AnimeBoston2008's ADV panel? in person?

Yes. The room was packed, and David Williams talked about how ADV was far from dead, how awesome ADV's Gurren Lagann realease will (kinda sad now, since Bandai snatched up the license), PiQ, ADV manga, and why he calls his division of the company "Black OPS".

Axell wrote:holiday edition?

See thread here
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 am

cat42 wrote:
V wrote:...you were at AnimeBoston2008's ADV panel? in person?

Yes. The room was packed, and David Williams talked about how ADV was far from dead, how awesome ADV's Gurren Lagann realease will (kinda sad now, since Bandai snatched up the license), PiQ, ADV manga, and why he calls his division of the company "Black OPS".

Do you remember his response when a fan directly asked about live action Eva and more specifically, Rebuild of Evangelion? and if all of the English Voice Actors were accounted for, like the Gendo VA who hasn't been around etc?

More importantly...think back hard...do you remember what the person who asked that looked like?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:13 am

Was that you?......
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:17 am

IrkenEvangelion wrote:Was that you?......

describe "that" in detail so those who weren't there know what you mean
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:19 am

Oh I wasn't there. Lol, sorry, I just kinda figured. If you ever see me in person I'll be wearing a leopard print Santa hat, I wear it everywhere making me very hard to miss.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:27 pm

V wrote:Do you remember his response when a fan directly asked about live action Eva and more specifically, Rebuild of Evangelion? and if all of the English Voice Actors were accounted for, like the Gendo VA who hasn't been around etc?

More importantly...think back hard...do you remember what the person who asked that looked like?

It's been something like 9 months. I can tell you right now though that Tristan MacAvery (Who I actually liked) will not be back if Matt Greenfield has anything to do with the project. (Though, this is not what David Williams said, this is just more to do with his falling out with Matt Greenfield.)

If I remember correctly, Tiffany Grant and Spike Spencer are interested in coming back, but I don't think I got that from the panel.

I have have fuzzy impressions of him saying that Live Action Movie Evangelion was still in the works, but he might have said he can neither confirm nor deny. He might have also just said that he knows little of that, saying it's Matt Greenfield's baby. (That might have been Anime Boston 2007)

The things I remember most about Eva was that it just prints money, and he would love to "rescue" the original movies from Manga Entertainment.

I do remember he basically said fansubbers are in the legal right to, and should, sue Crunchyroll.

This is only vaguely on topic though. I still maintain that Evangelion Platinum Holiday edition is probably not only a move to recoup lost profits, but raise the money to license that Rebuild movies.

Although, they did release a Chrono Trigger (I think) holiday edition boxset that actually had the characters on it in Christmasy costumes.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:17 pm

Tristan MacAvery had a falling out with Matt Greenfield? Please explain fully.
Who is "Codename V"?....

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:43 pm

Tristan MacAvery wrote:I also scripted the first two dub scripts of Master of Mosquiton (which Matt Greenfield has taken credit for) ... Greenfield has also taken credit for writing and directing those episodes ... dictionary definitions of “thief” and “liar” might be applicable here.

Source

Mackerni
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mackerni » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:25 am

Rumor has it, it's going to come out in November (this year, of course).

I'm waiting to watch it 'til then.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Mackerni wrote:Rumor has it, it's going to come out in November (this year, of course).

I'm waiting to watch it 'til then.

It's not a rumor, it was in Funi's announcement: http://www.evageeks.org/2008/12/evangelion-10-licensed-for-region-1/

Unless you're talking about something other than Region 1.

pikadourei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pikadourei » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 am

cat42"][quote="V wrote:If I remember correctly, Tiffany Grant and Spike Spencer are interested in coming back

I can't imagine

Destinii Haruya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Destinii Haruya » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Will there be an official sub, then? Because I'm really not a fan of the voicing in the dub, plus they tend to miss the point of some scenes.

Frankly, I'm not surprised this is happening. FUNi are nazis. They never should've got the rights.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:52 pm

I thought it was a given in this day and age that whatever english dub release we'd get with the dvd, that the R1 release would also include an official english sub.....

This isn't the 90s anymore where we would be forced to endure english dubs.....

Destinii Haruya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Destinii Haruya » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Sorry. I used to watch a few anime licensed by 4Kids (still do, for the ones that they didn't pull down the fansubs *coughPokémoncough*).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:39 pm

Destinii Haruya wrote:FUNi are nazis.

This is a company that has released anime with subtitles that retain honorifics, mind you. I guess some individuals might consider that an offense on the level of systematic mass murder, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 pm

[Split/merge]

They mention anything about not being assholes with the cease and desist notices to fansub makers?
No?
Then fuck them. I'll just have to deal with softsubs atop my region 2 disk.
Thanks for the information though, NAveryW.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 am

arkiel wrote:They mention anything about not being assholes with the cease and desist notices to fansub makers?
No?
Then fuck them.

Why is politely (for a company) asking people to stop distributing illegal copies of a movie being an asshole? Especially when these same people who distribute the illegal copies of said movie believe in stopping distribution themselves when a legal alternative is announced to be available in their native language/region?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm

cat42 wrote:Why is politely (for a company) asking people to stop distributing illegal copies of a movie being an asshole?

Because they're taking their sweet-ass time to put legal copies of the version that doesn't look like shit out on the domestic market, I would assume.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Reichu wrote:
cat42 wrote:Why is politely (for a company) asking people to stop distributing illegal copies of a movie being an asshole?

Because they're taking their sweet-ass time to put legal copies of the version that doesn't look like shit out on the domestic market, I would assume.

Were they going after people hardsubbing script atop some shakycam footage? Or were they going after people that were distributing a translated script of the movie, formatted to sync up with that movie's video, regardless of the source of that video? THAT'S what I have a problem with.

Either way, they'd have to go BluRay before tempting me from what I've already got.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”