Any word on REBUILD 2.0 yet?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:12 am

Darn that too long but the longer it is then the better is for me.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

XX
Embryo

Collaboration... maybe!

Postby XX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:35 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Hopefully we can expect a trailer in two months (attached to last Gurren-Lagann film....which I still need to see the first of)

Axell wrote:you do realize gurren lagann is a very popular and good anime right? also owned by the same company as eva, therefore why not premiere the trailer with the gl movie?

Apart from a minimal production support and being copyright holder alongside Studio Khara (or χαρα), GAINAX doesn't have much to do with the creative process or the planning for the Rebuild of Evangelion project, but Gekijou-ban Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann and Evangelion Shin Gekijou-ban have the same distributor, THE KLOCKWORX Co.,Ltd., so promotions including both are plausible.

cat42 wrote:Gaina means "big" in a specific regional dialect. (iirc)
It's in the Notenki Memoirs, I can look this up Monday or Tuesday night when I get home.

The Origin of the Name "GAINAX"

"The word "dekkai" (huge) comes out as "gaina" in the dialect of Yonago, in Chooshuu Prefecture. Using this pronunciation, the name "GAINAX" is an expression of the wish that this company become a huge one."

The GAINAX Museum, GAINAX FAQ - GAINAX NETWORK SYSTEMS
[url]http://web.archive.org/web/19961018225740/www.gainax.co.jp/museum/faq-e.html[/url]

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Dragon Ball comes out next week for Japan. Let see if their is a trailer or not.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Twsa'teotu
Banned

Postby Twsa'teotu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:23 pm

actually as I heard it, they use "gaina" because it sounds like a robot name; Otaku no Video actually has the fan-made company named "Giant-X"
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Twsa'teotu wrote:actually as I heard it, they use "gaina" because it sounds like a robot name; Otaku no Video actually has the fan-made company named "Giant-X"

My dumb joke was never intended to generate such a lingering tangent...

The etymology of "gaina-" was just posted with citations. Offhand I can't find any websites in Japanese that note (in a really obvious way) any direct correlation between the "X" and robot names. (My search: Gainax + gaina + X + robot.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:23 am

Side note then back to topic:

God, I love Wikipedia. Just checked their page for Rebuild and "apparently" Eva 2.0 cost $175 million to make.
Hehe and 1.0 cost $160 million.
Aside from the Japanese only using American money it's quite a retarded (but slightly humorous since that would be the minimum needed budget for any live action craptations) addition.

Sceleris
Adam

Postby Sceleris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 am

If that is true... well, for comparison's sake (very iffy numbers; some are adjusted for inflation, some not):

US$ 0.03 million: Perfect Blue
US$ 0.25 million: Five Centimeters Per Second
US$ 8 million: Akira
US$ 8 million: The Wings of Honneamise
US$ 10 million: Appleseed (2004)
US$ 15 million: Metropolis
US$ 15 million: Spirited Away (and most other Ghibli features maybe?)
US$ 16 million: Akira (adjusted for inflation)
US$ 18 million: End of Evangelion
US$ 20 million: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
US$ 20 million: Steamboy
US$ 25 million: Princess Mononoke
US$ 25-35 million: Shounen Jump features (Naruto, Bleach)
US$ 25 million: Beauty and the Beast
US$ 30 million: Aladdin
US$ 60 million: Chicken Little
US$ 55 million: Pocahontas
US$ 70 million: Mulan
US$ 80 million: The Lion King
US$ 80 million: Lilo & Stitch
US$ 100 million: The Emperor's New Groove
US$ 120 million: Atlantis: The Lost Empire
US$ 140 million: Treasure Planet
US$ 150 million: Bolt
US$ 150 million: Tarzan
US$ 160 million: Evangelion: 1.0
US$ 175 million: Evangelion: 2.0

I have my doubts about those Rebuild numbers, it just sounds so damn high. I mean, 150 million more than the next highest anime? Maybe founding the Khara studio is part of the budget? Maybe it's for all three movies?

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Oedipusfoot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:48 am

Is the new 2.0 trailer going to be released on the internet or will it only be in theatres?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:22 am

Oedipusfoot wrote:Is the new 2.0 trailer going to be released on the internet or will it only be in theatres?

If it's anything like last time, it'll happen a little like this:

- trailer released in theaters
- impressions of trailer, in Japanese, instantly posted to blogs and image boards; most interesting parts rapidly translated (after impatient types inevitably try to make out heads or tails of it using Google "translator")
- after an agonizing wait, shitty cell phone camera recording uploaded to YouTube; Eva nerds ooo and aah over muddy, barely visible image and tinny, barely audible sound
- after more agonizing wait, trailer officially released online -- but, wait, you need a Japanese IP to see it! :hahaha:
- non-shitty version of trailer leaked to rest of Internet
- Internet begins to get flooded with TV spots and additional trailers
- movie comes out, but odds are you're a silly gaijin without air fare to Japan -- too bad!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rodeo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:49 am

1.0 cost 160 million?
No way. No way on earth. There's absolutely no way.
I might be naive thinking this; but doesn't like... most of the money that is invested into an animated feature go into the actual process of getting it animated? Because this logic tells me that 1.0 should have been even cheaper to produce than Perfect Blue.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 am

I hope everyone understands I'm talking about information on a Wikipedia article? The Eva movies probably cost more to $5 million tops. The high budgets were just something some douchebag put in for the heck of it.

It's not real. I just though it was kind've funny and shows how unreliable Wikipedia is as a source of information.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Rodeo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 am

Yeah, I reacted because it was funny. Still though, I always seem to hear about Rebuild as if it was this series of super productions that are gonna blow you away.
Having seen 1.0, I just don't see where all that's coming from.

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Pretty realistic analysis, Reichu; but i think that the shitty raw from theaters will appears early...and it will be probably deleted from youtube every single day. Personally i don't put too hopes on this "teaser"...(please Khairax contradict me!).

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Oedipusfoot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:21 pm

- after an agonizing wait, shitty cell phone camera recording uploaded to YouTube; Eva nerds ooo and aah over muddy, barely visible image and tinny, barely audible sound
- after more agonizing wait, trailer officially released online -- but, wait, you need a Japanese IP to see it! :hahaha:
- movie comes out, but odds are you're a silly gaijin without air fare to Japan -- too bad!

Wow...wow...I...man. If I knew it was going to be this bleak I wouldn't have asked! Reality sets in hard. I just don't get the Japanese IP thing. But you love to spread this sort of news, don't you?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:29 pm

It's simple. You don't want to infringe on the other markets, ones which are paying YOU to redistribute YOUR stuff. Or in some cases, you don't want to infringe on markets other than the ones that are paying you to make your stuff.

This happens all the time, like on Yahoo sports, you can watch games streamed live, but only in the U.S., because places like Canada have their own deals with whatever league the game is.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:07 am

Ingraman wrote:Pretty realistic analysis, Reichu; but i think that the shitty raw from theaters will appears early...

The 'prediction' was basically how I remembered the buildup to 1.0 off the top of my head. Looking back in history (and just referencing the one thread for the sake of my sanity - the Rebuild subforum was a grotesque mess in its earlier days), it seems I exaggerated things even more than I intended to:

July 1 2007 - 1.0 trailer debuts in (Japanese) theatres & Japanese dorks post impressions online immediately afterwards
July 7 2007 - Reichu delights the starving gaijin by translating trailer impression (complete with mentions of "black LCL" -- lol -- and "Shamshel has a mouth, WTF?!?")
July 9 2007 - Russian Elder God posts three low-quality cell phone photos from the trailer. Shitty cell phone camera recording of trailer appears later the same day.
July 13 2007 - Trailer hosted on official website. For the Japanese. Leached onto YouTube the same day. Much shameless spooging commences.
???????????? - lots of broken links, so hard to follow anything here.
July 26 2007 - TV Spot appears in Japan.

Excruciatingly long waits occurring within the span of single days? Who'da thunk? :hahaha:

Personally i don't put too hopes on this "teaser"...(please Khairax contradict me!).

What, you think they're going to use the "words floating around on screen accompanied by tuning orchestra" approach again?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 am

Reichu wrote:What, you think they're going to use the "words floating around on screen accompanied by tuning orchestra" approach again?

why must you remind me of that possibility? :shinji_boohoo:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 am

I am in no way against random fan jumping to rash conclusion moments after the shitty phone quality trailer premieres.

It will happen, the first leak will be a crappy phone recording and we will not be able to tell what's going on in half of the trailer BUT we will have an idea.
And then take that idea and just go crazy.

It's fun and it's makes being a fan a fun hobby.

I too remember the BLACK LCL and while I never stood by the idea (I knew it was a way mislead fan being too literal with the images) the arguments it ensued did get me through a rather boring week at a rather boring summer job.

So bring on that Cell Recorded Trailer NOW!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:33 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I am in no way against random fan jumping to rash conclusion moments after the shitty phone quality trailer premieres.

Well, I will concede, it's better to jump to rash conclusions with shitty cell phone camera recordings in hand than without... :wink:

:suspects her comment is highly opaque and blames the time of night:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:04 am

...maybe we'll see the same images/sequences from the preview at the end of 1.0....with different music. A little of "words floating around on screen" are inevitable....

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”