The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 am

I for one really hope this isn't sequel, although evidence is quite good for it. Anno's statement, opening scene (it can't be coincidence) and red water overall and above all Kaworu's statement. Damn I hope I'm wrong here. Also: It's incredibly hilarious that RoE managed to stumble upon continuity mistake in its first "number". :toothy:

(I am of course referring to whole water thing. Some of it is normal, some red and it seems to be completely random apart from all-red seas)

UrsusArctos wrote:That Kaworu is actually the vessel for the Angel Ramiel this time around.

Now that's stupid. Those coffins definetly have something up to them but that is farfetched.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Keep in mind: After 2I, in the episode (12, and IIRC, 21') when Gendou and Fuyutsuki went up to the North Pole, the Waters there were red because it contained Tanged people who wouldn't be able to return till after 3I.

I presumed for long time red water was directly related to "tanging" (I don't like the word, where did it originate from? It just sounds stupid, something like Knights who say Ni) however, originally I just thought it was part of the impact.

As we see in Ep12 South Pole ( :P ) has red water. After EoE whole planet had red water so I thought it was just something impact related. Later on I assumed this "Tang theory" for color, but now you made me doubt it.

As far as we know what Adam's (succesful) Impact would've been cleaning the slate for Adam based lifeform. I assumed all the humans from the expedition just perished in process, but certainly they didn't turn into tang and ending up hanging around in South Pole. As souls too are quite metabiological entities in NGE (I'd take they've got something to do with Quantum Soul theory, at least partially) shouldn't they be eradicated in the process too? And there has never been basis for whole "souls hang where they die forever and ever" theory.

And even if the few humans of expedition were "tanged" there's no way it would colour such a huge territory.

Therefore I now think it's possible that red water doesn't have anything to do with LCL at all

DarthMigit
Embryo

Postby DarthMigit » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:58 am

RAMPANT N00BISM:

Wasn't there some suggestion that Rebuild was set to be more 'accessible' than ye-olde NGE? These rather unsubtle 'hints' seem pretty blatant to me.

Incidentally, since the weight of Anno's wallet isn't likely to be a contributing factor to the production of Rebuild and keeping in mind the aforementioned promise not to vomit floaty symbolism into our eagerly awaiting fanboy gullets, perhaps we're set to get some actual closure this time around? Or not, sigh.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time

-Mr Eliot

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:02 pm

South Pole, sorry. :sweatdrop:

And I forgot to mention in this thread, but in another I stated how Misato tells Shinji that 2nd Impact was an "Explosion Incident". As such, it's always possible the LCL Sea(?), chalk outline of the giant [s]Harpy[/s] and such was really due to Adam. Note how the Angels explode blood when they die.

Still, Rebuild being a sequel is possible but I do have mixed feelings about it. I'm sure Anno will do a good job, but at the same time I'm afraid it would end up too much like Re-Take... (Which I love but I seriously think Anno should be original since Eva's his baby and all. But giving a nod to it here and there wouldn't hurt, provided Asuka doesn't wind up preggers. ^^; )

@ Darthmigit: Yes. That was in Anno's statement or in one of the Newtypes.

Also, some of us are fanGIRLS thank you very much. :hmph: (Me, Reichu, Antigoth, The Seventh Child, etc)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:56 pm

Ok, my thoughts.

People are getting too hung up on the red waters/chalk outline/splat on the moon. I also think people are taking too literally Anno's statement "Eva is a story that repeats itself".

Explanations are easy for those 3 things.

Red waters= Since Angels liquify when they are destroyed, I'm gonna go with this is a result of the Second Impact.

Chalk outline= made by a defeated angel. I think it looks more like Lilith than a harpy.

Splat on the moon= Notice there is another while giant sitting in the splat? It has something to do with the currently unnamed white giant, not RGN Rei

Xard wrote:Also: It's incredibly hilarious that RoE managed to stumble upon continuity mistake in its first "number". :toothy:

Wait, what?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:36 am

cat42 wrote:
Xard wrote:Also: It's incredibly hilarious that RoE managed to stumble upon continuity mistake in its first "number". :toothy:

Wait, what?

Whole water business. Not all of it is red. It would make "somewhat" sense if only oceans were red (such division in colouring would still be stupid as hell, but it's not like NGE has ever cared abour real life physics et al :P ) but as we can see bathing water is red too. However we see normal water too, for example the rain.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 am

Xard wrote:but as we can see bathing water is red too.

Post a screen cap.
I have a feeling this is more of a "lighting issue" than a continuity error.

For another example of the exact same thing in Eva, see the last scene in EoE, where Asuka's appear to be a dif color.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:14 pm

cat42 wrote:
Xard wrote:but as we can see bathing water is red too.

Post a screen cap.
I have a feeling this is more of a "lighting issue" than a continuity error.

For another example of the exact same thing in Eva, see the last scene in EoE, where Asuka's appear to be a dif color.

Sure would if someone told me how to screencap from VLC player properly :(

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Not amazing but there they are. :nod:

compare to

also remember there is steam in the bathroom.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:09 pm

as you can see from colors of everything else apart from water there's no weird coloring unlike in One More Final.

I'd really appreciate if someone told me how to do those captures with VLC player

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 pm

for vlc you should be able to go to Video>Snapshot and it will save it to your vlc directory. This is in linux, so I don't know if it's the same on other OSes.

Ok so this may be helpful...

EoE

RoE

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Typhus
Embryo

Postby Typhus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:14 pm

WHAT IF all of rebuild is a new ending to EOE starting from that seen. LIke lets say the movie (EOE) was still going and when it got to that seen sudently the rebuild movie was what started. It probubly be another reality or what was after rebuild what happen

Im really high btw

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Here's a fun theory that comes from eastern religion as well as Gnosticism (which is at least somewhat prevalent in NGE). It was later copied by Imperialist no Sensei (let's not start that again, Eva is CLEARLY more Sartrean!!!:cool:)...It is also a main plot point in Xenogears/saga which we know is just a big Eva ripoff anyway. :wink: In any case, I'm not convinced of a sequel just yet but it's a cool archetype for y'all to add to your knowledge base regardless of whether or not it is Eva related. Eternal return

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Hold it right there, all of you!!!!

That bath water looks pinkish because it's reflecting the cieling of the room, which is pink. You can also see the reflection of the cieling light on the water. They did this only to obscure Shinji's and Misato's nudity in the tub.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:09 pm

I agree it isn't the same as the ocean, but the pink may be due to the steam.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Look at the swimming pool, and the water in the puddles when Shinji hits Toji back. The canal water. The river water. Lake Ashinoko's water. It's all blue, or muddy brown. Not blood-red.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:09 pm

Yes, I agree with you. The pool is my evidence as well.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:08 am

Looking at the two ocean shots, it does become undeniable that they were reusing storyboards again.

I feel this was more of a way to connect the two movies in the fan's minds. I think it's there more to fuck with us who want to analyze every frame rather than tell us it is a literal sequel.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:33 am

Anno inducing mindfucks? Whatever... :wink:

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:51 am

ZapX wrote:EoE

RoE

wow. Actually if you look carefuly, these are the exact same pictures. One is slightly modified, but everything's the same.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:30 pm

They did the same thing in the scene where Eva-01 charges Sachiel head-on. Why create a new scene, when a modification of the old one will suffice?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”