Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:10 am

You have good taste in movies, "Jinroh"...

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:18 am

UrsusArctos wrote:In the CI, didn't they say that the FAR sent out multiple Adam and Lilith-like beings to different planets, so that lifeforms of both varieties could evolve?

There aren't thousands of Adams and Liliths floating around in space, there is only one Adam and one Lilith. There are certinly more Seeds of Life, but each Seed is unique.

V
Banned

Postby V » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:30 am

Actually, my understanding was that the Seeds of Life are divided into two categories: one Lilith-like, one Adam-like.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:38 am

V wrote:Actually, my understanding was that the Seeds of Life are divided into two categories: one Lilith-like, one Adam-like.

I had this discussion on one of the Wiki discussion pages, my argument being that there may be Red/Yellow/Blue/Grey/etc Moons floating around in space. Why only have two varieties? Wouldn't it make more sense for every Seed to be unique? Just because these are the only two we see doesn't mean there aren't more.

I made a bit of a fuss when the articles were originally written to state that Adam and Lilith were the only "varieties", resulting in the tag line "the only ones we see in the series". But I do still insist that each Seed is unique, I've found nothing that supports otherwise.

Plus, if two Liliths landed on Earth, would the Spear still have to eliminate one of them?

Furthermore:

CI wrote:D. In-Depth Information

Within a carrier known as a "Moon", the First Ancestral Race fabricated a perfect cavity (also referred to as "Moon"), at which point the Seed, or "Progenitor Entity", would be placed inside and sent out into space. That was their technology, and, from the perspective of Angels, humans, and others, they might be called gods.

Off topic etc.
Last edited by Szmitten on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:48 am

Otaku News have a review of Evangelion 1.0 up! :]
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:16 am

CitizenGeek wrote:Otaku News have a review of Evangelion 1.0 up! :]

Nice, thanks for posting.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby felineki » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:43 pm

So, is Eva-01's unmasking scene still as dodgy as in the original episode, or did they actually pay attention to Yamashita's sketches this time?

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Otaku News have a review of Evangelion 1.0 up! :]

Rebuild Shinji sounds kind of like manga Shinji :o
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Szmitten wrote:But I do still insist that each Seed is unique, I've found nothing that supports otherwise.

Just to add something, this makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. You want as many variations as possible so that, in theory, one will be able to survive if another wasn't "fit enough". With any luck one will suceed in imortalizing humanity just as you had wished. Putting all you eggs in one, or in this case 2, basket(s) is bad.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:45 am

felineki wrote:So, is Eva-01's unmasking scene still as dodgy as in the original episode, or did they actually pay attention to Yamashita's sketches this time?

The scene was omitted.

@NAveryW: The "and others" from my CI translation was a 'free interpretation' of the "ya" in shito ya jinrui kara sureba -- my understanding of it was always limited to that of a linking particle used for creating incomplete lists.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

reagen
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby reagen » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:51 am

I've finally watched the movie, and I'm a little bit...dissapointed! You don't see that much new stuff on this part 1!! The number 2 however looks like it's gonna be good, with new characters and all!! (They got a little preview of it in the end of the movie!)
She Smell Like Angels Ought To Smell
The Perfect Woman, The Goddess...
Worth Killing For, Worth Dying For, Worth Going To Hell For....
------------------------------------------------------
I Can Only Love One Woman,
No Matter The Day, No Matter The Era
That Will Not Change...

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby CtHuLhU » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:42 am

@ Reagen, omedeto:!))

See the Fulltag Desription and Creation of Ramiel
Fanmade. Many spoilers included!
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:03 am

reagen wrote:You don't see that much new stuff on this part 1!!
Well, yeah... That's been known since the first Newtype article ever came out...
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

V
Banned

Postby V » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:42 pm

I had this discussion on one of the Wiki discussion pages, my argument being that there may be Red/Yellow/Blue/Grey/etc Moons floating around in space. Why only have two varieties? Wouldn't it make more sense for every Seed to be unique? Just because these are the only two we see doesn't mean there aren't more.

I made a bit of a fuss when the articles were originally written to state that Adam and Lilith were the only "varieties", resulting in the tag line "the only ones we see in the series". But I do still insist that each Seed is unique, I've found nothing that supports otherwise.

Plus, if two Liliths landed on Earth, would the Spear still have to eliminate one of them?

Actually that's pretty reasoned....

.....I was remembering the numerous times I've had CI described or discussed more than I was actually looking at the exact wording of the original. We'll go over this later, but yeah it does seem like:

1-they don't specifically say that the Moons were all either White or Black, there could have been other kinds.
2-it's not really clear what would happen if two Liliths ended up on what planet (personally I think nothing spectacular)

nonetheless,

3-the Angels benefit from the "Tree of Life" and humans the "Tree of Knowledge", which when united, elevate Eva Unit 01 to Godhead. The two seem to be two halves of one whole. Thus while there might be some variation amongst the Moons, ultimately the way its set up like this seems to imply that there are two kinds: those benefiting from Tree of Life and those benefiting from Tree of Knowledge. There might have been, like, a "Red Moon" which landed on Mars, containing Seed of Life "Cain", which then created a race which while not strictly "Angel" or "Human" (Lilim), were essentially human-like beings who used science and technology, etc....though they could have been not particularly like Humans (think Humans compared to Vogons), more warlike, resulting in the destruction of their civilization, etc. The point is, the dichotomy of Tree of Life and Tree of Knowledge does seem to imply that there were two "types" of Seed of Life.

And actually, I've left this unstated: I never thought that there were other planets that "Liliths" landed on which developed sentient beings which are EXACTLY like humans, like some sort of parallel world.

No, I meant like I imagined sort of a montage sequence showing planets where like squid-people developed, which were still a "civilization" using science and such....and other planets with even wackier Adam-based ecologies.
Last edited by V on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

Postby V » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:44 pm

I've finally watched the movie, and I'm a little bit...dissapointed! You don't see that much new stuff on this part 1!!

Actually, the running theory is that they intentionally changed VERY LITTLE in the first Rebuild movie, to ease fans into accepting slight changes....so they can move on to making MASSIVE changes in the next film. This actually seems to be a smart strategy to me.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:40 pm

I agree, it wouldn't be good if they just flew right into changing everything up. I don't think fans would like that very much, for the most part.

And I wasn't saying sexuality<Violence, or anything of the sort. I was saying Shinji Hospital scene=Just plain dumb. It really had no point, other than to freak out the audience. It didn't portray how people would act(no one, unless they were actually mentally deficient, and I'm talking Asylum level here here, would do that in front of a sleeping girl, no matter how messed up). And the first person to holler "I would!" gets my foot down their throat. Anyway, it was what it was, now it's Rebuild's time in the spotlight.

I have seen trailers and videos, and art-wise, it looks stunning. I saw the shot with Rei in front of the moon, and I thought it was perfect. The original was good, but the style made her look suggestive somehow, which belittled the artistic feel. This new one does it perfectly, making her look just the way Rei is supposed to look.

I've heard the Album as well, and while I loved the Decade edition of Zankoko na Tenshi no Teeze more, Beautiful World is amazing. The rest of the album is beautiful, especially the Rei Opus tracks.

And, if Shinji is more like the Manga, all the better, I say. I always thought the Manga version of him was far more realistic, depression wise. I would read the manga, and a friend of mine would say the exact same thing the next day(my friend stays pretty depressed). The Anime's version was good, but.... It was almost an exaggeration of the depressed state. That doesn't make it bad, but I like one a little closer to "real" more.
I hate not having my Siggy.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:42 pm

V wrote:Actually, the running theory is that they intentionally changed VERY LITTLE in the first Rebuild movie, to ease fans into accepting slight changes....so they can move on to making MASSIVE changes in the next film. This actually seems to be a smart strategy to me.

agreed, Id be upset if say,.... I dont know if something crazy like no unit00 or something like that happened
plus I think operation yashima (from what i heard) was better this time around
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:56 pm

I think it might be odd to have Kaworu hitting on Shinji that soon, too lol. I love some of your sigs.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:00 pm

Victorthebattousai wrote:It really had no point, other than to freak out the audience. It didn't portray how people would act(no one, unless they were actually mentally deficient, and I'm talking Asylum level here here, would do that in front of a sleeping girl, no matter how messed up).

From a post I made in December of 2005 on the Anime News Network forums:

A long time ago, I wrote:I'm not sure how much "symbolism" was behind it, other than the theory of it being Anno's bash of otakus, but I had always thought (and thought it was the general consensus that) that scene existed mainly for two purposes: one, to show Shinji's mental state and how low he had really sunk, and two, to show you early on that this was going to be a darker, more disturbing movie.

Now, in terms of "freaking out the audience", I think it depends on your definition of "freaking out". Disturb and unsettle, yes. I certainly would not take any actions similar to Shinji's, but he was very messed up at the time. And keep in mind that he didn't technically "violate" her. He (as far as we can tell) didn't molest her or even touch her. He certainly didn't do the right thing, and I wouldn't condone it if anyone actually did. However, I certainly wouldn't choose to remove it from the film.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Eh, to each his own, I suppose. Still, if I had to bet, I don't think it will be in Rebuild. Since Anno isn't in as depressed a state, I doubt it will be thrown back in. I'm thinking it will be more like the Manga, a more sad moment, rather than twisted.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”