Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:27 pm

WHAT? No, that just isn't acceptable! The 3rd Angel has got to be either Rei or Kaworu or something brand new...but just not another SoL in Lilim form/ some other garbage like that.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:43 pm

NAveryW wrote:Don't you see?! Wevangelibuild is going to draw all the continuities into one self-contained multiverse!!! The OTS, the manga, the Girlfriend of St00pid 2 manga, and the video games! Kaworu remembers them all! They passed through the same point in space-time in the year 2000, and the incongruences caused a space-time fluctuation that resulted in Second Impact! Now, in 2015, the Puchi Eva universe is drawing dangerously close to the Rebuild universe, and if they collide, Third Impact will occur once again!!!

Turn-A Evangelion?
Last edited by chee on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby thedarkorb » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Ah...I've heard a rumor that this is actually a sequel to Evangelion/EOE in that these movies are actually a reset/alternate world after the events of EOE (Kaworu having memories of previous world/Dead Sea Scrolls containing info on the previous world). Sounds like a cool idea, but very very unlikely.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:43 pm

V wrote:remember people: Rebuild is nothing. It's just going to create more Eva buzz which will help get live-action Eva off the ground.

No...

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:51 pm

You know, I always wondered where Mario's supposed to go whenever he dies, "dies" meaning "falling out of reality".

I imagine that his destination would be similar to the Black Lodge in "Twin Peaks", or the weird "hotel room" at the end of "2001" (Those disembodied, cackling voices still haunt me. God damn you, Gyorgy Ligeti.)
[/off topic]

I personally think that a "cyclical history" scenario would be great for heightened mind-fuckage, if handled right. If we also get a MGS2-style "everything you think you know is WRONG" ending, I would be most pleased.

As for the new character: I'm getting a "moekko" vibe from the descriptions of the new character. If Eva does a "moekko" character, it sure as hell better be a full-on, balls-to-the-wall deconstruction of that sort of character, because Eva doing an honest attempt at that sort of cliched character archetype without dissecting and subverting it just doesn't feel right.
Last edited by chee on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:05 pm

V wrote:remember people: Rebuild is nothing. It's just going to create more Eva buzz which will help get live-action Eva off the ground.

Either way, Anno, Khara, and Gainax will still come out of this with bulging pockets. (no, not that way you silly perverts)
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:18 pm

OFF-TOPIC:

Chee, it is revealed in Super Paper Mario that when a video game character such as Mario runs out of lives and dies, ve goes to "the Underwhere", an underworld of sorts, and if ve's been good enough, gets to ascend to "the Overwhere", a heaven-type place.

King_Panther13
Adam

Postby King_Panther13 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:23 pm

I think Rebuild as a continuation is a great idea...I liked the ending, and I could accept it as it is...but I couldn't help but wonder....what's next? What will happen to them? How is this going to save humanity, and how will they cope with it? Then I really started thinking about it, and it kind of made me sad that it ended there....so many possibilities for it to continue.

I don't like the idea of it repeating itself, especially after Shinji and Asuka were on the beach...I mean, that just shows that they're in a new world...not a different form of the old one...I don't see how everything can build its way back up again, unless Shinji wills himself to be in one of those worlds or something like that....so maybe it will turn out to be a dream or something. I wouldn't mind that, because I think Eva was due for a high quality remake, and it would give an answer to what happens after 3I....a bit of a continuation.

Maybe it's just there for future mind-fucks though.....hearing all of this leaves room for so many possibilities, and my brain is kinda exploding now. I can't wait to see it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:23 pm

*Snickers at Chaos' last post.*

but just not another SoL in Lilim form/ some other garbage like that.

That wasn't the case with Mayumi or whatever her name was, right (Haven't played 2nd Impression, so going by what I've heard about it)?? Wasn't she just some girl with an Angel inside her (kinda like what happened in a way with Sangoki)??

ZOMG WE'RE GONNA GET MAYUMI INSTEAD OF MANA IN REBUILD. :lol:

Eitherway, Shinji indirectly killing off Glasses Girl somehow=Win.
Hmm...if Khara does take that unfortunate "lol new character's a pilot scenario", maybe she's the victim of Sangoki's attack but dies (thus making Toji a different numbered Children and or surviving somehow yet again)??

Final thought for the day: Or, Glasses Girl will be revealed to be Shinji's sensei's daughter (not sensei themself of course), and sensei will be revealed to be yet another hot chick ala ARM (Asuka/Rei/Misato) since their gender was undetermined (and just to make more people jealous of Shinji). :P ...Huh, this last thought sounds crazy enough to be true...

And since I probably already mentioned how a mindfuck lol Rebuild's a Do Over! and/or Post-3I dream (cliche but could work?) it would be coolness if done right, I won't bother repating myself again. After this. ^^;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:30 pm

thedarkorb wrote:Ah...I've heard a rumor that this is actually a <snip>

...RTFT?

chee wrote:If we also get a MGS2-style "everything you think you know is WRONG" ending, I would be most pleased.

NoooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!

V wrote:Rebuild is nothing. It's just going to create more Eva buzz which will help get live-action Eva off the ground.

And while ADV are trying to get out of the pickle they got themselves into however many years back, Khairax will be raking in the $$$.

SSD wrote:And as long as this new character (please be Misato-san-tachi's age!)

Somebody said she looked Shinji's age. I've lost track of my sauce already.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Shinji indirectly killing off Glasses Girl somehow=Win.

(After Shinji and GG see a movie together, probably that "Living Hell" pseudocumentary)

Shinji: Yeah, that movie was cool and all, but I bet you can't really light your farts on fire like that...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:16 am

NAveryW= WIN.

Somebody said she looked Shinji's age. I've lost track of my sauce already.

It was one of those reviews of Rebuild:01 you posted, I forget which. ^^;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:10 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:

Eitherway, Shinji indirectly killing off Glasses Girl somehow=Win.
Hmm...if Khara does take that unfortunate "lol new character's a pilot scenario", maybe she's the victim of Sangoki's attack but dies (thus making Toji a different numbered Children and or surviving somehow yet again)??

Maybe she'll be the pilot of the doomed Unit-04?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:22 am

I read that after Sachiel bites the bucket Gendo says something like there's only 8 Angels left.

So if Sachiel is the 4th, Shamshel the 5th, Ramiel the 6th and Kaworu the rumored 12th Angel that only leaves 5 left to be identified, oder?

I would lean towards returning Angels being Gaghiel, Bardiel, and Zeurel.

And two new fresh Angels.

Any thoughts?

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:39 am

You fools! Don't you understand?! The glasses girl will be Kaworu in disguise! And once she/he seduces Shinji- no. No.

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:00 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I read that after Sachiel bites the bucket Gendo says something like there's only 8 Angels left.

So if Sachiel is the 4th, Shamshel the 5th, Ramiel the 6th and Kaworu the rumored 12th Angel that only leaves 5 left to be identified, oder?

I would lean towards returning Angels being Gaghiel, Bardiel, and Zeurel.

And two new fresh Angels.

Any thoughts?

I think Armisael and Arael are more likely than two new angels.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:13 am

I know there's already a lot of stuff on reviews and spoilers, I need to head back out to meet an old friend for drinks but thought I'd post something quick

quick spoilerless review:

I missed the movie the first night because I got trashed on the plane and then got trashed when I got into Nagoya. Almost missed it the second night because of same reason. Bought one of those Eva-01 things for your drink, didn't bother with the other merchandise because the line was insanely long. There were cute girls there too. Story is very straightforward and told mostly chronologically. Maybe 2 or 3 flashbacks that last maybe a second or two. Lilith's mask is different, Ramiel looks AWESOME, I mean, REALLY AWESOME. Nerv is now spelled in all CAPS. There's a lot of blood. We get to see Rei's nipple as well as full nudity. The whole "if daughter then Rei, if son then Shinji" is a little different, I don't quite get it. The preview eva looks, interesting. Glasses girl in preview looks like Misaki from Darker than Black. The Kaworu part was a little confusing, going to pay more attention to that and the Lilith part the next time I watch it.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:14 am

chee wrote:You fools! Don't you understand?! The glasses girl will be Kaworu in disguise! And once she/he seduces Shinji- no. No.

NO.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:00 am

I don't quite understand why two different reviews so far (including Ornette's) say that we "get" to see Rei's nipple. I'm not quite sure why that's such a big deal, considering how much you see both in EoE...

EDIT: Also, Ornette, you didn't actually say whether you liked the movie.

EDIT TRUE^2: For reference, here's a picture that shows the character Ornette said GG looks like. Misaki is the only girl in the picture.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:44 am

Ornette wrote:I saw Rebuild in Japan. Take that n00bs!

The thing I really gotta know, is how big a part did Rebuild play in your trip? Did you go on other business as well? I'd like detailed notes. This will be on the exam.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”