Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:50 pm

I didn't like what they did with her mask in the video. It just doesn't fit her to have a Sachi mask. They should've stuck with the SEELE mask.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:It just doesn't fit her to have a Sachi mask. They should've stuck with the SEELE mask.

Consider this might be her real face.

I think it fits enough. The "Angel face" symbol resembles a stylized owl face (see especially the snowy owl), and Lilith has a classical association with owls.

I would've preferred if they had just, you know, given Lilith a normal head instead of that bizarre egg-shaped mass with no apparent jaws -- but I suppose that was too much to ask.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sceleris
Adam

Postby Sceleris » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:11 pm

kasuturo wrote:Anyway, returning to the movie, I don't know if this is like that but that's the impression I have from Gendo... I think he's more of a son of a b..., specially in Operation Yashima, after Ramiel's first shot.

Does anybody know what he says there? Maybe he's like "we don't have time to waste on that girlie boy"...

Well, I'm neither a native English speaker nor a native Japanese speaker, but maybe something along the lines of:
Misato: "What about the energy system?"
Makoto: "It's still going. The recharging has already begun."
Misato: "And the positron rifle?"
Maya: "It's in good health. The barrel is currently cooling down. However, it can probably only fire one more shot..."
Misato: "Verifying this is useless. We have to do this. Shinji, are you okay? Hurry, return Unit-01 to the sniping point. ...Shinji?"
Shinji: "U...! Uu...!"
Gendo: "For now, have Unit-01's pilot replaced. Put Unit-00's pilot in charge of shooting."
Fuyutsuki: "Ikari."
Gendo: "If he's useless, we have no choice but to remove him."
Misato: "Please wait!! He got in the Eva without escaping. Unless he himself wants to get off, you should trust him!"
Shinji: "Uu..."
Touji: "Shinji, take care of it."
Kensuke: "Ikari, do your best."
Misato: "Please have faith in your child. ...I too will trust in him as Unit-01's pilot!"
Gendo: "I'll leave it to you. Do as you wish."
Misato: "Thank you... Shinji!"
Shinji: "Yes."
Misato: "Once again, the energy of everyone in Japan, all of our wishes, the future of mankind, and the survival of every living creature... is entrusted to you. Do your best."
Shinji: "Yes...!"

(Well, at least she's not putting any pressure on him.)

Reichu wrote:Consider this might be her real face.

I consider her to have no face at all, and the mask being there pretty much just to tell which way is front. Or to freak out guests less/more.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Sceleris wrote:
Reichu wrote:Consider this might be her real face.
I consider her to have no face at all.

Exactly, If that's her real face then how is that EoE scene where the mask falls from her face gonna work?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:Exactly, If that's her real face then how is that EoE scene where the mask falls from her face gonna work?

Well, first off, Rebuild =/= NGE.

Second, in EoE, a lot of flesh is taken off when the mask falls; her face (or the remnants thereof) could well be plastered to the back and contained in those white tendrils. Lilith lacking a face doesn't really make any sense, and the very presence of the mask in the first place is suggestive of the heresy (or whatever) of looking upon God's face.

As has been mentioned, what appear to be actual eyes are visible in Rebuild, and there isn't room for very much else beneath that flat "Angel face", so it seems like a good possibility we are actually looking upon the visage of "God" this time around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kasuturo
Adam

Postby kasuturo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 am

Reichu wrote:As has been mentioned, what appear to be actual eyes are visible in Rebuild, and there isn't room for very much else beneath that flat "Angel face", so it seems like a good possibility we are actually looking upon the visage of "God" this time around.

I agree.

@ Sceleris: Thanks to you, now I'm sooo gonna cry when I see it again. I'm such a wuss xD
I do not have a signature.

Sceleris
Adam

Postby Sceleris » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Reichu wrote:Lilith lacking a face doesn't really make any sense, and the very presence of the mask in the first place is suggestive of the heresy (or whatever) of looking upon God's face.

I think it makes sense for it to have no face (as in no real facial features except eyes, evidently, and perhaps an opening for a mouth) until its' whole body takes shape. And masks seem important -- it looks like someone took the effort of stapling a mask to the moon giant.

yokuchi
Adam

Postby yokuchi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:16 pm

In case anyone's interested...Hikari was waiting to board the train with Kensuke and Toji at 17 minutes and 13-16 seconds into the movie (well, the second half of the movie, but its all that available).

It is confirmed: Glasses Girl is not Hikari.
insert witty and offensive political banter here

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:20 pm

I saw that too, she's got only a cameo appearance this time around and no lines. The reason I thought she wasn't in the movie at all was because I didn't hear her dialogue around the time Toji and Kensuke run off to see the Shamshel fight.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kasuturo
Adam

Postby kasuturo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:41 pm

I don't think she's like essential in the plot of EVA 1.0 anyway. Maybe she was added in favor of beautiful fanservice.
I do not have a signature.

pikadourei
Embryo

Postby pikadourei » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 am

Spoiler:
Where does the moon Giant come from, it's nowhere to be seen untill Kaworu steps out of his coffin and then it's right in front of him? :?

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:26 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:I didn't like what they did with her mask in the video. It just doesn't fit her to have a Sachi mask. They should've stuck with the SEELE mask.

I like the seele Mask too on Lilithif it even is lilith, but the Sachi mask looks creepily misplaced which adds to the wierdness
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:47 pm

The bit about Misato giving Shinji a pep talk is something I personally translated a while back along with some other scenes, still, it's nice to have all of that scene. ^_^

Anyway, my friend who's actually from Japan and went there during the Winter break (her brother's really into Evangelion and she was able to get me a map of Akibahara (I think, could be remembering the place wrong) as well as a UCC can with Shin-chan on it. ^_^) said that Rebuild 1.0 will be out on (Japanese) DVD in March. (She also said she plans on ordering it once it's out.)

Anyway, I think that's not too bad waiting-wise (for those of us who want to see the whole film and not just it in parts ;)) It was in theaters for about 4 months and only about 2-3 months later is when it's released...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:The bit about Misato giving Shinji a pep talk is something I personally translated a while back along with some other scenes, still, it's nice to have all of that scene. ^_^

Anyway, my friend who's actually from Japan and went there during the Winter break (her brother's really into Evangelion and she was able to get me a map of Akibahara (I think, could be remembering the place wrong) as well as a UCC can with Shin-chan on it. ^_^) said that Rebuild 1.0 will be out on (Japanese) DVD in March. (She also said she plans on ordering it once it's out.)

Anyway, I think that's not too bad waiting-wise (for those of us who want to see the whole film and not just it in parts ;)) It was in theaters for about 4 months and only about 2-3 months later is when it's released...

It does mean we'll have to wait a while before 2.0...unless they put more tailers on the DVD...
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:17 pm

...which would be Awesome
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:00 pm

universalperson wrote:It does mean we'll have to wait a while before 2.0...unless they put more tailers on the DVD...

I'm sure we'll see online trailers at the usual places.

wut_is_a_eva_lol
Embryo

Postby wut_is_a_eva_lol » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:31 pm

After watching the camrip, was anybody as disappointed as I was by the inclusion of Misato's screaming scene (you know, the one where Pen-pen is first introduced)? I'll try to give you an idea of the extent of my disappointment to use as a reference in your responses.

Edited out rant. Please do not post any rants on this forum.
Last edited by wut_is_a_eva_lol on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, therefore I think.

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Wevangeliwon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:27 pm

March?

Well, good enough. I was hoping February, but I am happy to wait that much longer. I wonder how many times I will be watching the full rip until then.

I will hopefully post a review later.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Now that I've seen the enough of the film to understand whats going on, I can say that I liked it. My favorite part, taken out of my pairing of RxS, was when Shinji offered his hand to Rei, so that he could help her out of the Eva. Though, that look Shinji gave Rei after she smiled seemed to imply interest in her. But, I think I might be looking into it too hard.

Machinehead
Embryo

Postby Machinehead » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 pm

pikadourei wrote:Spoiler:
Where does the moon Giant come from, it's nowhere to be seen untill Kaworu steps out of his coffin and then it's right in front of him? :?

This might have been the single greatest moment of the movie.

Because my head literally exploded.

WHO is that? I mean, the only conclusion I can reach is Adam. Is Kaji going to travel to the moon? XD
Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”