Updating Rebuild or Alienating the Fans?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 21, 2007 6:17 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Stardust wrote:I want at least ONE scene of Yui & Rei interaction, too!

How would such a thing be possible?

EoE ring any bells? ;) The fact that they and Kaworu were all in the same area when Yui chomped Gendo (Gendo still got "What he wished for" despite not being Tanged into Instrumentality like the others) shows they COULD interact.

Anyway, I just had a thought. If we WOULD get the original proposed storyline of that Promised Land or whatever it was, doesn't that mean there couldn't be Instrumentality/3I in general or worked into that?? I think it would be interesting if Anno would give the whole 3I thing a fresh perspective, but something different would be nice too. I guess.

Shinji/=/ Whiny. Well....Spike Spencer's version, YES :roll:, but not Ogata's.

Oh and in terms of those different camps of people that want or don't want the films...

I think Gainax milks their products to hell, but I don't think making Webuild is milking per se. IMHO, its just wanting to get their orginal idea going, whatever the hell THAT is. ;)

One last thing: One of those Newtype articles already stated the new movies will take place in the same time period as the original series. (2015 AD.)
Plus, there supposedly WON'T be any more of that "Flashing text (and images??)" stuff. You can rest easy. Though personally that's one of the things I liked most about the series. Am I (not) alone with this viewpoint??
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon May 21, 2007 8:26 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Trigger's Elysium wrote:But...what's Evangelion without Shinji?
Not so whiny?

Or not any good whatsoever? Shinji WAS Neon Genesis Evangelion. The story of him, a pathetic depressed kid who tries to get to know other people better, or not be lonely, and fails miserably because he ends up just pushing everyone away when life gets too tough because shit keeps happening to him, so he doesn't hurt himself, and makes an effort to get over that problem. I know that shit isn't really what we discuss here, because i'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a given. The story of Shinji is what made Eva, for me. Without him, Eva is nothing.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Though personally that's one of the things I liked most about the serious. Am I (not) alone with this viewpoint??

I'm right by your side in this instance.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Stardust-chan wrote:<snip> Shinji/=/ Whiny. Well....Spike Spencer's version, YES :roll:, but not Ogata's.
Trigger-kun wrote:<snip> The story of Shinji is what made Eva, for me. Without him, Eva is nothing.
Agreed. Both points. But after all, Anno has said this is "a new work". So I would recommend not getting too attached to the original to avoid such a disappointment.

@ Operation Yashima
While I was NOT a fan of the insane screen-flashing/seizure-inducing mind-fcuk scenes, I think the general psychological angle/sub-plot was a big piece of what made it so great and unique. Though I do agree with you on the reusing of scenes though.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 pm

Eh, I liked the flashing images. It was kind of an Eva exclusive aesthetic. And as for your response to what I said, well, we'll see what happens when Webuild comes around, eh?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 22, 2007 5:27 am

Evangelion WAS Shinji.

You can't take him out of the equation. The little whiner (thought you gotta be fair. 14, hormonally challenged, and made to save the world n any given day- I'd love to see a poster on ANY Forum-myself included- handle all that and not be a whiner) made the show unique and fresh.

I almost always find myself finding the lead in anything to be the least interesting character. Shinji is the man.

PLease. Take away Kaworu or Yui. But leave Shinji around. He's the greatest thing in the series in my opinion.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue May 22, 2007 11:26 am

Well, it's not like whiny mecha pilots debuted in Eva (i'm looking at yooou, Amuro Ray), but I agree.

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Wed May 23, 2007 4:51 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:PLease. Take away Kaworu or Yui. But leave Shinji around. He's the greatest thing in the series in my opinion.

Kaworu or Yui! Gah! Heresy!

Without Yui...well...There would be no Shinji either, so big chance on that...

While Kaworu is a bit scary when he flirts at Shinji (OK...VERY VERY SCARY) he is crucial in the show...It is also shown that not only is he in Webuild, he is a key character that appears from day one...

Bad luck there...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 23, 2007 1:23 pm

Ah but if Kaworu pulled a Kamina and was killed relatively early in the new franchise all would be all right.

Oh well, its not that I dont adore the element Kaworu added to the series and especially Shinji's evolution (the heavy flirtation only helps to strengthen Shinji as a character) as an individual character I find him and the phenomenom he's produced to be...eh....obnoxious.

If Kaworu is no longer representative of the fallicies in placing all your believes and trust in one person (which was Shinji's big mistake..out of sheer panic he used Kaworu as a lifeboat-which you should never do) and is now just some questionably gay kid in the classroom, then he loses any sense of interest and (to me at least) simply becomes....the questionably gay kid in the classroom....

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu May 31, 2007 12:25 pm

I wouldn't be adverse to some gender switches, evangelion overhauls, outfit changes, or even the introduction of all new concepts.

I just want the rebuild to be new, (very different) and something that will remind me of why I loved the old saga so much.
I DO NOT want a regurgitation, or and aberation, but I do want it to be new and exciting.

Where's th fun if I can predict the story progression? Evanglion remains one of the only shows (anime or otherwise) that I din't see going down the path it did.

I hope Rebuild champions orginality over fan service (for eva fans I mean, good old fashioned fan service is fine by me) and gives us something immpressive if it can do that, I don't care if they change Rei into a guy! :lol:
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu May 31, 2007 1:39 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:I just want the rebuild to be new, (very different) and something that will remind me of why I loved the old saga so much.
I DO NOT want a regurgitation, or and aberation, but I do want it to be new and exciting.

QFT. I wholeheartedly agree. This has been my stance from the very beginning, but it seems unfortunate that most fans want a regurgitation. I mean, people weren't very happy when they changed the space shuttle "shield" into the Enchanted Shield of Virtue. Sure it sounds dumb, but it was a change, and people weren't happy with it. People were even mad about the additional green on Unit-01. If that made people upset, I can't imagine how upset they'd become if something major got an overhaul.

I hope Rebuild champions orginality over fan service (for eva fans I mean, good old fashioned fan service is fine by me) and gives us something immpressive if it can do that, I don't care if they change Rei into a guy! :lol:

Unfortunately, the addition of Kaworu in the very beginning means that they've already succumbed to fan service. I just hope it doesn't get too out of hand.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 31, 2007 2:12 pm

BrikHaus wrote:they changed the space shuttle "shield" into the Enchanted Shield of Virtue. Sure it sounds dumb

That is the point. Or rather, the change seems to be without one.

Not sure why the almost imperceptibly different paint job on Yui-sama gets everyone bent out of shape, though.

BrikHaus wrote:Unfortunately, the addition of Kaworu in the very beginning means that they've already succumbed to fan service. I just hope it doesn't get too out of hand.

So long as it gets me some of that Asuka/Kaworu lovin' I'll be a happy man. And so would Aaron, I guess.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu May 31, 2007 2:51 pm

I wonder where all this Asuka/Kaworu stuff comes from. Did the two ever meet one another?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I wonder where all this Asuka/Kaworu stuff comes from.

Heated fanboy imagination -- where else? Plus, they'd make a great couple.

BrikHaus wrote:Did the two ever meet one another?

Not in canon; Asuka was under the chemical cosh all the time Kaworu was around.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu May 31, 2007 5:26 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I wonder where all this Asuka/Kaworu stuff comes from. Did the two ever meet one another?

That's because if they met, the sexual heat between them would jump like crazy! :P
Btw, one of the best encounters in Eva, was Kaworu-Rei. Short, simple and to the point. Wonder how they'll do it this time around.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu May 31, 2007 7:56 pm

I agree with the second part. I doubt Kaworu would show any interest in Asuka. And no im not talking about sexuality. Shinji's personality interests him where Asuka's would not. No sauce on this, just my gut feeling.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Thu May 31, 2007 11:07 pm

slothen wrote:I agree with the second part. I doubt Kaworu would show any interest in Asuka. And no im not talking about sexuality. Shinji's personality interests him where Asuka's would not. No sauce on this, just my gut feeling.

Once again... rejected.

Edit:
After saying that it occured to me that Asuka will have ANOTHER reason to end fucked up.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:59 am

wtf are you talking about?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:23 am

BrikHaus wrote:I wonder where all this Asuka/Kaworu stuff comes from. Did the two ever meet one another?

Nope, except i n your dreams :wink: :P

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:45 am

You could say they sort of meet when the MP evas kick her ass.

MAL Profile

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”