Dubs vs. Subs [again...]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 16, 2007 8:57 pm

Eh, the English Dubs could be worse. If you never watch Eva in Japanese they are certainly more than adequate. I can't think of a single performance that is HORRID. Sure few reach the status of Anno's directed cast but it's not as bad as some dubs.
But overall it is kindve a mixed bag. In EOE for every perfect delivery (like I find the english performances of Kaworu, Shinji, and Rei in the final half to be astounding) you have to deal with an equally lame line from DeadVoice Fuyutsuki or hte Black Hyuga or Maya's "Ritsuko" (I'm at least glad the English dubs didn't go put Chan or Kun at the end of the characters names. It doesn't work in ENglish).

ADV Films is also mixed when it comes to dubs (IMO). Eva's all right except for a few dunderhead choices, NOIR was a particualrly impressive one, but I hated the work done on ELFEN LIED.

My biggest complaint with the english dub is when they mess up Asuka's mind-rape in Episode 22. When Asuka is repeating the smae four lines over and over again. How did they miss the fact that each time the lines repeated they were given by a different actress and were done sarcastically? In the english dub they just have Tiffany Grant repeat the same lines 4 or 5 times. Completely missing the point.

But at the very least if you listen to it in English you don't have to deal with the HORRIBLE BLOODY EAR EXPULSIONS that is a Japanese attempt at German.

Harro Muttel! Ichr bin selhr gutelr.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Wed May 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:My biggest complaint with the english dub is when they mess up Asuka's mind-rape in Episode 22. When Asuka is repeating the smae four lines over and over again. How did they miss the fact that each time the lines repeated they were given by a different actress and were done sarcastically? In the english dub they just have Tiffany Grant repeat the same lines 4 or 5 times. Completely missing the point.

OMG is that whats thats all about? fuck.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 pm

slothen wrote:
Gendo'sPapa wrote:My biggest complaint with the english dub is when they mess up Asuka's mind-rape in Episode 22. When Asuka is repeating the smae four lines over and over again. How did they miss the fact that each time the lines repeated they were given by a different actress and were done sarcastically? In the english dub they just have Tiffany Grant repeat the same lines 4 or 5 times. Completely missing the point.

OMG is that whats thats all about? fuck.

I asked Matt Greenfingers at Anime Boston '06. He said that GAINAX told him to do it because the scene was too confusing...

sure...

And by the way, Sue Ulu raped the role that is Ritsuko. Hearing her hyper bitch Ritsuko makes my ears bleed worse than like 40 secs of bad German...
EDIT++++

Other sub fans will hate me for this, but I like Tristan Macavery's Gendo. When Webuild gets dubbed (you know it will be) I hope they can find Tristan.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:03 pm

cat42 wrote:Other sub fans will hate me for this, but I like Tristan Macavery's Gendo. When Webuild gets dubbed (you know it will be) I hope they can find Tristan.

Yes! He did a very good job IMO.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Thu May 17, 2007 12:52 am

Opteron-O3 wrote:
cat42 wrote:Other sub fans will hate me for this, but I like Tristan Macavery's Gendo. When Webuild gets dubbed (you know it will be) I hope they can find Tristan.

Yes! He did a very good job IMO.

thirded!
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:57 am

Well, he did and he didn't. I mean, he match the emotions Gendo showed in the animation (for example, he actual yells when Gendo is animated as yelling).
However, Gendo as a character is supposed to be very understated, and in that respect he failed. But still, I really liked his voice and performance anyway.

Sue Ulu should be stabbed in the throat (ok, not really, torture should be reserved for Greenfingers and AWL as they did the ADR directing for the series and movie respectively). At the very least, Sue Ulu should not be allowed anywhere near a mic when it comes time to dub Webuild.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Sventevith » Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 am

To me, it doesn't matter if it's good or not. I can't relate to it if it isn't in Japanese. The only thing I can bare to look at with dub is Dragonball, because it's funny.
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu May 17, 2007 2:08 pm

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”