Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:50 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:So why were people expecting anything by April 4th, or have I misremembered? Or maybe people were foretelling the wrong prophecy and got JoJo's mixed in.

I don't know, but this is approaching QAnon levels of crazy in my opinion.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:54 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:Only problem with that is most of the shows I watch are currently airing, so when I've caught up with it I'm done until the following week. Thankfully I've been playing PSO2 and I'm thinking about getting either Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory or Xenoblade on the Switch which should keep me occupied for a while.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is honestly one of the best games I've played, ever. What stands out for me is the story and voice acting.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:12 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I don't know, but this is approaching QAnon levels of crazy in my opinion.

I'm sure they were joking lol.

Welp, it's time for us to enter the "deep freeze" stage, because now I don't expect anything until the Blu Ray, which if we're lucky will come in a time frame similar to 3.0 so around 5 months if I'm not mistaken. Best to expect 6 months, so about 5 more months from now.

:facepalm:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:30 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:
View Original Postcyharding#918883 wrote:I don't know, but this is approaching QAnon levels of crazy in my opinion.

I'm sure they were joking lol.

Welp, it's time for us to enter the "deep freeze" stage, because now I don't expect anything until the Blu Ray, which if we're lucky will come in a time frame similar to 3.0 so around 5 months if I'm not mistaken. Best to expect 6 months, so about 5 more months from now.

:facepalm:

The big question is what will come first: the international release (with the camrip that comes with it) or the Japanese BR (with the BRrip that comes with it)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:20 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:So why were people expecting anything by April 4th, or have I misremembered? Or maybe people were foretelling the wrong prophecy and got JoJo's mixed in.

If you read back the thread it’s basically “next Sunday for sure” every week :hitthetable:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit#918830 wrote:So why were people expecting anything by April 4th, or have I misremembered? Or maybe people were foretelling the wrong prophecy and got JoJo's mixed in.

If you read back the thread it’s basically “next Sunday for sure” every week :hitthetable:

Well, as you summed so well:
View Original PostJoseki wrote:Image

:D
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:44 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The big question is what will come first: the international release (with the camrip that comes with it) or the Japanese BR (with the BRrip that comes with it)

Well whichever it is the Blu-Ray will definitely be first for me, I do not see Evangelion getting it's last film in normal cinema's here. Very high chance of it in our October anime film festival however; provided it is actually able to run normally this year. Personally hoping for a full 4 film showing as I would also really like to see 3.33 in a cinema, since I missed out on it back in 2013 or whenever it was.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:29 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#918888 wrote:The big question is what will come first: the international release (with the camrip that comes with it) or the Japanese BR (with the BRrip that comes with it)

Well whichever it is the Blu-Ray will definitely be first for me, I do not see Evangelion getting it's last film in normal cinema's here. Very high chance of it in our October anime film festival however; provided it is actually able to run normally this year. Personally hoping for a full 4 film showing as I would also really like to see 3.33 in a cinema, since I missed out on it back in 2013 or whenever it was.

First place outside of Japan it'll get a theatrical release is probably Asia (from what I understood, China, Taiwan and Indonesia are big anime consumers), and most of the anime camrips actually come from (non-Japanese) Asian theaters.
For example, the Demon Slayer movie was released October 16th 2020 in Japan, October 30th in Taiwan, November 12th in Hong Kong and Singapore, January 6th in Indonesia... meanwhile Europe was supposed to have its release in March (but was delayed to April due to that fucking virus), and the USA too will release it in April.
And the BR will be released in Japan in June.
My point is that for Japanese anime international theatrical releases, Asian countries are often served before Europe and North America, and that tends to happen before the Japanese BR release, so there are more chances that we'll see a camrip before a BRrip. (and let's not even talk about a theatrical release in North America and Europe, as Evangelion doesn't have nearly the same popularity outside of Japan as Demon Slayer)

There arrived the rumor that Amazon Prime had a deal to release Shin internationally, which is a completely new factor in the usual game of guessing which support will be available to us first, and because the pandemic threw the usual process of international release to the gutter, and you get this topic! :D

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, as you summed so well:

bad ending  SPOILER: Show

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:37 pm

Well, eventually, next Sunday it will be out.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:04 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I see a lot of confused reports of what has been rumored or reported, so I'm gonna make a comprehensive summary of how this story unfolded in the past months. I still don't want to write names on here so I'll try to keep this details vague (even if the people in question technically commented publicly on the internet, so I guess you could all just search for yourself who they are).

This is the complete chronology AFAIK:

- 17 December 2020. khara announces an exclusivity deal with Amazon Prime Video Japan for the unlimited stream of Jo, Ha, Q. The movies were never available for streaming before (only online renting).

- 27 December 2020. Prime Video LATM and Prime Video Mexico announce their January catalogue, both catalogues include Jo, Ha and Q for January 27th.

- 31 December 2020. AnimeCliks speculates the Rebuild movies and Shin will be on Prime Video worldwide

- 7 January 2021. In a end-of-the-year article Distopia Evangelion suggests the Rebuild movies will be headed to Prime Video worldwide. They also speculate Shin will be headed to Prime Video very soon outside of Japan.

- XX January 2021 (before the delay). In a livestream (now deleted) on Twitch with Distopia Evangelion, AnimeClick and a guest (big figure from the world of dubbing), they reveal a few things: the movie is already fully dubbed in italian, who the voice actors are, who is returning for their role and who may not, how one particular voice actor feel about returning to Eva after so many years, who is not directing the dub, who is not adapting the script and that the movie is coming to Prime Video in February.

- 14 January 2021. Shin is delayed.

- 27 January 2021. The Rebuild movies on Prime Video LATM and Mexico vanished.

- XX February 2021. On a german dubbing enthusiasts forum the studio and director of dub for the german dub of Shin are revealed.

- 3 March 2021. Studio khara announces the new release date and a series of event in partnership with Prime Video Japan to promote the movie. On the Prime Video Japan YouTube channel the 3 movies and the first 12 minutes of Shin will be livestreamed. After the livestream the 12 minutes of Shin will be available exclusively on Prime Video Japan for 2 weeks.

- 5 March 2021. EvaMonkey speculates Shin will be headed to Prime Video with the other Rebuild movies worldwide.

- XX March 2021. In a Distopia Evangelion livestream one person publicly reveal he worked on the dub.

EDIT: the italic for speculate is intentional, both when the word is italic and when it is not.

Another one:

- March 24 2021. Massimo Corvo, Gendo's italian voice, in a livestream was confused about Eva being over and asked the interviewers "are you talking about the movie we dubbed recently?" followed by a "I understood that was already out". They then explained to him there was a last minute delay in Japan.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:00 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:Thankfully I've been playing PSO2 and I'm thinking about getting either Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory or Xenoblade on the Switch which should keep me occupied for a while.

Get Xenoblade!!

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its expansion Torna - The Golden Country are all on Switch.

It's a great series for an Evangelion fan and Xenoblade Chronicles is probably the best game I've ever played and my favourite. X and 2 are up there as well.

Really the whole Xeno series is excellent for an Eva fan, all the way from Xenogears in 1998 and the Xenosaga trilogy in the 2000s. There are lots of mechs (usually), some deep dives into the human condition and a very Japanese pop-culture take on some old-school European philosophical stuff.

If you're waiting for Eva, Xenoblade is your friend.
Don't be.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:08 pm

Isn't Xenoblade supposed to be some ultra-creepy fanservice series for perverts, where you collect girl fighters in stripper outfits who refer to you as their "master" or something? I heard it's one of those things, and because of that I don't really want to get it. It sounds distinctly "Japanese," and not in a good way.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:12 pm

As much as Evangelion is an harem series about latex fetish waifus.

I really, really recommend the series to anyone that likes Eva. 2 more than 1 thematically, but you can’t wrong either way. It’s a fantastic way to pass the time while waiting for Shin.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:22 pm

Well, I watched Dunkey's (a famous American gaming YouTuber) review of Xenoblade 2, and he made it out to be really perverted and gross, even including some clips that demonstrated what he was talking about (The fish lady with biologically impossible breasts, the main female lead with biologically implausible breasts, the scene where some Furby-looking thing reveals its sex slave robot). He's known for disliking anime and JRPGs, though, so he might be biased. I'll look for some info from other sources, but for now it doesn't seem like my thing.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:25 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I really, really recommend the series to anyone that likes Eva. 2 more than 1 thematically, but you can’t wrong either way. It’s a fantastic way to pass the time while waiting for Shin.

Agreed. It's a phenomenal series and each of the games is a very meaty 55-80 hours long on a first play-through.

Hopefully X gets re-released on Switch as well. In terms of world-building, though not story or necessarily other elements, it might top both the numbered titles, but you can't go wrong with any.

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Isn't Xenoblade supposed to be some ultra-creepy fanservice series for perverts,

No, definitely not. It doesn't do that at all. It toes a similar line as Fire Emblem (also from Nintendo) but avoids some of the main points of contention recent entries of that series were critiqued for.

There's no doubt that Xenoblade 2 is dripping in anime sauce...but 1 (including in the Definitive Edition) and X have comparatively little anyway.

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Well, I watched Dunkey's (a famous American gaming YouTuber) review of Xenoblade 2,

I never saw his Xenoblade 2 review but I saw his "Dunkey Direct" reaction to Pyra/Mythra's reveal in the last Nintendo Direct, in which he enthused about Mario Golf: Super Rush and nothing else. I can empathize to an extent...and I am also looking forward to the next instalment of Mario Golf, but I think some of his aversion to games like Xenoblade 2 is a "bit" he's doing for humour. It's not really his cup of tea, but I think if you can handle anything in Evangelion...you can handle anything in Nintendo's Xenoblade. It's really not...as described and it does the game a disservice.

There's a few very anime moments in the game played for laughs. Whether you find that stuff to be funny or not will depend on your own biasses, but truth be told Xenoblade 2 doesn't really cross any lines...and every Xenoblade probably treats its major female characters with more delicacy than Evangelion, if that's a concern.
Don't be.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:43 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:and every Xenoblade probably treats its major female characters with more delicacy than Evangelion, if that's a concern.

I don’t remember Eva having random pointless stripper outfits, characters with impossibly perky breasts twice the size of their heads, and weird BDSM sex slave undertones. You say Xenoblade isn’t a perverted franchise, but from what I’ve seen it very much is, and much more so than Eva.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Dunkey is great, but he's definitely more of a comedy man than he is an analytical reviewer. Even if he's giving his honest opinion on a video game, he's focus is still more on being goofy and silly than he is giving a detailed breakdown about game mechanics and scrutinizing interactive narratives. He's not bad, and very entertaining to watch, but I'd never cite him as a source for anything.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:01 pm

All right, I’ll play the freaking sex slave game, you disgusting perverts! :wink:

Anyways, let’s please get back on topic.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:00 pm

Honestly, Dunkey is one of the best reviewers on YouTube, in my opinion. As a huge Mario fan, I must say that he made the greatest analysis I've ever seen about the series' 3D games. He is funny, but also coherent. Dunkey is a pretty good writer too. His reviews are always bounded by themes and one topic complements the other. For me, it's clear that he is familiar with the ins and outs of game design and comedy. I mean, he is obviously not unteachable (no one is), but he has good arguments and knows how to display them.
Hey! Wait a second! Why we are talking about Dunkey here hahahaha
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”