Event locations?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

Event locations?

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:16 am

Hello yall,

I'm working on a little project where I'm using real geographic data for scenery and locations.
However, I've got the directional awareness of a potato, and I find it hard to find where certain things take place.
I seem to remember to have seen a map with certain events noted on it, but I got no clue where or how to find it (if I remembered it right).

To start with, I'm mainly interested in the battle with Sachiel. A few points I would like to know (of anyone can help, or point me in the right direction).

- Where Sachiel first appeared underwater
- The locations of the lined-up Tanks awaiting Sachiels arrival
- The abandoned town (where Shinji makes his phonecall) where Sachiel fights with the military (maybe including where Misato was driving, and where that battleship lies)
- The path he took and where he got Nuked
- The location from where he was shooting at the city
- And finally the path he took for the final showdown with Eva-01

Eventually I'd like to do all events in this manner, but this is what I want to start out with.
Maybe I'll make an interactive Google Maps thingy later for this to place markers at the appropriate locations.
But I'd like to first see what may have already been done in regards to this kind of information.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Event locations?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 am

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 am

Ah yes, thats the one (could only find lowres versions of it that werent all that clear), that should help.
And I can't believe i havent seen that Wiki page before :huh: really helpful that the vehicles in the shots are described and all.

Still some things from list that I'd like to know, but at least this is a great start to get me going.

Thanks.

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Wow. I never know about Explanation of Evangelion 1.01. This was something that was never revisited again with 2.0 and 3.0, correct?

And does anyone know if this on-screen, text-heavy, never-ceasing explanations gimmick originated with Eva, or have any other series done something similar before it and Anno is just referencing that?

Mainly asking cause the first film in the Rebuild-like film trilogy for Eureka Seven uses this exact gimmick. For the entire runtime of the film you are bombarded with onscreen explanations of everything. But, in this case, this is the base version of the film, with no clean version that I know about. The whole trilogy is basically a parody of Rebuild, so nice to know why they did this gimmick now.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:04 am

Hakone also has a Capybara onsen where you can feed the Capybara and watch them bath. I'm just saying if you're making a map of Hakone you need to include that.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:06 pm

About that Hakone map; as found out in this thread here, don't rely too much on where the markers say something took place, because a lot of it just doesn't line up
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:55 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:About that Hakone map; as found out in this thread here, don't rely too much on where the markers say something took place, because a lot of it just doesn't line up

I looked up the mountain where the fortress is by its exact kanji, and the real-life location corresponds to what the Hakone map provides.

https://goo.gl/maps/DxgzYAuW4odCvD62A

So if there is an issue, it's not because the Hakone map messed up.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Yeah, that was poorly worded.

I haven't cross-checked with each scene of the movie, so I can'T say for certain, but presumably the map will be at least roughly accurate to the animation, so it's probably the movie that's to blame here
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”