The Curse of Eva - Can It Be Broken?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

The Curse of Eva - Can It Be Broken?

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 pm

What if at some point in 3.0 + 1.0 we see the "curse of Eva" effectively broken and suddenly the tory crops up with an adult Asuka and adult Mari (and possibly Rei and Kaworu as well) to exemplify Shinji as the only real child left in the story? It could even work thematically as part of his isolation...What do you guys think?
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Tyloethius
Embryo

Re: The Curse of Eva - Can It Be Broken?

•      
  •      

Postby Tyloethius » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 am

Even if it could be broken I doubt they would instantly age physically to appear how they should be for their ages, rather I think they would just lose their eternal youth and begin to age at a normal rate.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 am

I don't think so. It is of course a fantasy story and anything can happen, but by it's own internal logic, I don't see instant ageing happening. Age suppression lifted when the 'curse of Eva' is lifted makes much more sense. Under what circumstances would that happen though? Assuming the 'curse' is due to piloting Evas and being exposed to LCL or just the whole dual-soul makeup of the Evangelion system, the only way I could see the curse of eva being removed is the complete destruction of the Eva unit being piloted, or perhaps of all Evangelions.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:44 pm

View Original PostTyloethius wrote:Even if it could be broken I doubt they would instantly age physically to appear how they should be for their ages, rather I think they would just lose their eternal youth and begin to age at a normal rate.

Okay, what if there's another time skip and suddenly see them as adults though?
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:11 pm

I agree that sudden ageing is not likely. It is possible that if the pilots stop piloting then after a while normal ageing will resume (that's the way it is in my fic), but if Reichu's theory about the nature of the pilots as being related to the Adams is correct, then completely different possibilities open up.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tyloethius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tyloethius » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:34 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:Okay, what if there's another time skip and suddenly see them as adults though?

I guess that would work but I don't see another time skip happening at all. We haven't even figured everything out about the last timeskip, another would make things even more confusing.
On the other hand, I also see the sort of timeskip that shows the characters grown up and where they have ended up after the story (like in harry potter) unlikely for Anno since I feel he would like to make his ending open like he did with NGE and EoE.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:26 pm

There are certain hints pointing in the direction that Gendo intends to purifies humanity -- not to evolve it necessarily, as Seele intended, but in order to make a clean break with a past tainted by "original sin" (whatever that is). This is too involved to really get into here (I have a thread planned, I swear!), but this whole dichotomy between past and future, sin and purity, curses and wishes/hopes, etc., makes me expect that, if this plan is brought to completion, then the pilots will be freed of the 'curse' as part of it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:26 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:What if at some point in 3.0 + 1.0 we see the "curse of Eva" effectively broken and suddenly the tory crops up with an adult
could even work thematically as part of his isolation

Well in a story in the bible; 3 children are saved from a execution ordered by Nebuchadnezzar(Death by a furnace fire) by an Angel. So I think the idea that the pilots will be saved holds merit.

idk if they will suddenly age however. I think they might do what Diebuster did for it's ending.
SPOILER: Show
how we see the character older in end of film after a length of time

I think the film will be a contrast to 3.0 and Nerv-isolation theme; however the idea that Shinji in particular is isolated will be a major theme of the film. (isolated even with people around him)
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:26 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:This is too involved to really get into here (I have a thread planned, I swear!), but this whole dichotomy between past and future, sin and purity, curses and wishes/hopes, etc., makes me expect that, if this plan is brought to completion, then the pilots will be freed of the 'curse' as part of it.

I get that you're busy. But as I was thinking of the potential for "breaking the curse of Eva," I was immediately reminded of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urashima_Tarō

The first paragraph pretty much sums up what I'm getting at here (Sort of, without the characters being super old and without that big of a time skip).

What if some event causes the characters to crawl away/out of the literal magic sea (LCL) that causes their permanent youth - and they are triggered into physically becoming adults after all these years?
Last edited by SawItAtAge10 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:57 am

I'm not entirely sure if breaking it will even be the point of the movie. I can just as easily see a subplot about coming to terms with the involuntary immortality(ish) and accepting that you will outlive all those around you. I'm open to either, and both open up interesting possibilities to address
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:28 pm

The curse of Eva is rather blatantly a rehash of the whole Oedipus complex and dependence on the mother stuff, even though the rest of that seems to have been entirely ditched except for Shinji.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 am

I also don't think this will be that important.
I see it as an excuse to keep the children young and still be able to use a timeskip.
Shinji had the perfect excuse to stay young, he didn't have a physical body when merged with 01.

The others probably do have similar circumstances (exceeding plug depth with beast mode and all that). But not quite the same as literally losing your body for years. So it's simplified. It's just a plot device to give a simple explanation (or you get stuff like Pokemon with Ash being forever the same age, without explanation, or the Simpsons or whatever).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was never mentioned again.
There are more than enough other things that need closure and screentime.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:24 pm

I am positive that it will be brought up in one form or another, but I am pretty sure that it won't be broken in the traditional sense, with no implications for the future
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Only idea that comes to mind for me is if everybody gets tanged and are allowed to be reborn if they have the will to live like in EoE. The process of death and rebirth is the only thing that will allow for something like that, both in a thematic/philosophical sense and a literal physical sense in-universe. I'm sure they could come up with another way if they really wanted to, but considering death and rebirth, as well as personal growth (as well as stunted development) are core themes central to the series, it would make the most sense for the process by which something like this occurs to both have literal and metaphorical significance.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:44 am

I've mentioned in older threads that I think the "curse" could be broken in the sense of piloting Eva no longer needed = a Gunbuster-style timeskip would show the pilots older. Or at the very least, I'm anticipating some post-credits scene of seeing Shinji older (grown up?).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:35 am

It can be, but I doubt khara wants it too, their merchandise profits will plummet

No weebs want to jerk off to adults.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:57 pm

ChaddyManPrime wrote:no weebs want to jerk off to adults.

yikes
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:49 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:It can be, but I doubt khara wants it too, their merchandise profits will plummet

No weebs want to jerk off to adults.

the fact that a franchise like Ghost in the Shell is even remotely popular with the weeb-bro crowd pretty much puts the lie to that

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 am

And yet they just had to make her younger(looking) in the Arise ones ;)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 am

View Original PostZoop wrote:And yet they just had to make her younger(looking) in the Arise ones ;)
That was supposed to be a prequel/origin story, even if ageing in appearance is entirely optional for full-body cyborgs.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”