3.33 and 3001

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
andreh
Lilith

3.33 and 3001

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

Hello. I just finished reading "3001: The Final Odyssey," the last book in the saga "Space Odyssey" by Arthur C. Clarke. I have found some similarities with Rebuild 3.33 which may be just a coincidence, but still worth it as a curiosity.

The comparisons below may contain spoilers from Clarke's book (sorry for possible grammatical errors):
- Monoliths, of course. In 3.33 we have Seele and in 2001-3001 we have the Firstborn monoliths. Interestingly, in Q the Seele monoliths are apparently no longer holograms, but apparently a physical device, just like the monoliths in Clarke's novel.
- In both 3.33 and 3001 we have a relevant timeskip.
- Main character recovered and resurrected, both in space and in suspended animation: in 3.33, Shinji is recovered inside Eva01; in 3001, Frank Poole is found frozen.
- The main character needs to adapt to a whole new world: Shinji need to face a post-N3I world with people indifferent to his feelings; Frank Poole needs to deal with cultural shock of a society a thousand years ahead of his time.
- Main character in a strange/futuristic "home": Shinji in AAA-Wunder, Poole in a "space tower".
- Main character faces another (but formerly familiar) location: Shinji is taken to a decadent Nerv/Geofront, Poole goes to an completely different Europa (Jupiter/Lucifer moon).
- A secret in the new location: in 3.33 we have a giant Lilith+Mark.06 fusion and in 3001 a giant monolith.

Huge spoilers of 3001 below:
SPOILER: Show
- A "secret inside the secret": 12th Angel lies inside Mark.06; Halman (Dave Bowman and HAL 9000 fusion) is inside the European giant monolith.
- In 3.33 Gendo says that Seele (now in physical monoliths) are associated with the flourishing/evolution of mankind. This is said from the very beginning in 2001 (this is the role of the TMA-0 monolith).
- Monoliths "deaths": in 3.33 Seele is "killed" by Gendo (apparently disabling some life support mechanism); in 3001 humans send a virus to the monoliths, which causes them to exhibit erratic behavior and then disappear.
- Both endings have an implicit timeskip, with a battle coming after it: in 3.33 Wille and Nerv will face each other in the future; in 3001, mankind has some hundreds of years before the Firstborn notices the damage in their monoliths.

As said earlier, this may just be coincidence or simply enthusiasm on my part :tongue:
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: 3.33 and 3001

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

This is fairly interesting I have to say.

Anno clearly watched 2001 the movie, since there are few references to it here and there both in NGE and Rebuild.

Sadly I've not read the book, so I really don't have anything to say about this.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:42 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
Anno clearly watched 2001 the movie, since there are few references to it here and there both in NGE and Rebuild.

Actually I remember him saying once (before the time of Rebuild) that he hadn't watched Kubrick's stuff.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:36 am

Joseki wrote:Sadly I've not read the book, so I really don't have anything to say about this.

It's a great tetralogy, I recommend reading. A pity the third book is almost a "filler"... but ok it counts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kuribo-04 wrote:Actually I remember him saying once (before the time of Rebuild) that he hadn't watched Kubrick's stuff.

Which is very strange, since we have the face of Shamshel in the helmets of the astronauts and "AT Fields" in the spaceships. If it's not coincidence, someone from Anno's team certainly watched the movie.
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:42 am

someone from Anno's team certainly watched the movie.

Yeah, I'm sure.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”