How Toxic is Core Material?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

How Toxic is Core Material?

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Throughout The rebuild films we see core material portrayed with varying levels of seriousness. In the first film, the core material/angel blood was treated like a biological weapon attack. With a cleanup crew wearing suits

in 3.0 Shinji, seemingly an ordinary human being needs to wear a Hazmat suit when in the midst of it. While Kaworu an angel in human form doesn't need to wear one.

Yet at the end of 3.0, Shinji and Asuka appear to walk through the direct center of it with little to no ill effects.

What are the effects of core material on the human body that requires a hazmat suit? What does prolonged exposure to it do to the human body?

I mean, it's a liquid substance from an eldritch alien dimension. You'd think it's effects would be devastating to human biology.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:38 pm

That might matter if Asuka, Shinji and Rei were human. ;)
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: How Toxic is Core Material?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:41 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:In the first film, the core material/angel blood was treated like a biological weapon attack. With a cleanup crew wearing suits

Seems pretty standard for a crew cleaning up the bloody remains of mysterious giant aliens to be wearing protective suits.

in 3.0 Shinji, seemingly an ordinary human being needs to wear a Hazmat suit when in the midst of it. While Kaworu an angel in human form doesn't need to wear one.

I think this might have to do more with the altitude and Shinji being unable to breath.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:59 pm

That's a good point, Sachi. New Nerv HQ is really high in the air and [s]Batman[/s] Kaworu can breathe even in a vacuum.

The core effect seems to vary based on the individual. Unit 05 grabs the Third Angel's core with no ill effects, but Sahaquiel's burns Unit 00's hands and Unit 01/13 have some type of creeping corrosion. It may not be the core material in Tokyo 3 that's toxic, but some other kind of fallout that only effects Lilin.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:51 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:
The core effect seems to vary based on the individual. Unit 05 grabs the Third Angel's core with no ill effects, but Sahaquiel's burns Unit 00's hands and Unit 01/13 have some type of creeping corrosion. It may not be the core material in Tokyo 3 that's toxic, but some other kind of fallout that only effects Lilin.

It makes things a bit complicated, like finding out why each effect works the way it does assuming it's dedicated to each angel. Blood sea doesn't host life too so I guess it reacts to biomass or whatever. Suffocating fish and stuff is a bit lame. Maybe it melts people etc into lcl except this time it looks like blood. Or red orange juice.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:59 pm

In the series, we see Gendo touching Samshel's core with his bare hands. Of course, we're talking about the NTE continuity here, so examples from NGE don't really apply all that much! I don't think we've seen anybody ever handling angels, mostly because all the angels have exploded into goop in NTE.

I don't think there's enough evidence to show that the stuff is harmful, and conversely I don't think there's enough to show that it's harmless.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:17 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:That's a good point, Sachi. New Nerv HQ is really high in the air and [s]Batman[/s] Kaworu can breathe even in a vacuum.

I completely forgot but 13's corrosion stuff is the same as the magical light at the beginning of Q (both ending and beginning matching so that tentacles call attention to chockers and halos but whatever) including the same awakening sound cues so as far as corrosion goes it only affects...girls or anyone with no red eyes.
They are like embodiments of things the characters fear (sahaquiel qualifies too since it's this big hit to Asuka but Q's magical light might be just a nge reference).

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Evidence from Q suggests there is the so called L-Barrier, which is an inhabitable zone emitted by the cores(?) where lilin mustn’t be for health reasons. There’s also said cores. Judging by the speckles seen at the final scene of Q and Until You Come To Me, that appear to wander through the insides of the core material that now composes the whole planet, it seems like the planet is now being ‘colonised’ in a way Lilin and other Lilith beings cannot coexist with Adam beings. Long story short, the children having being infected by an Adam being via exposition are Lilin+, which grants them the ability to survive inside the L-Barrier.
Although recent cores, mainly of awakened Evangelions appear to turn everything they touch to core material. That’s what happened to eva 02’s arm here:
SPOILER: Show

And I should also mention—albeit not having an image or gif in hands right now—that it’s about the same with eva 08 touching eva 13 in her awakened state. Maybe that’s why they kept Eva 01 inside the tesseract, in order to try to stop the world’s transformation into core?

TL;DR Everything an awakened eva’s core touches, turns to core. Core material emits L-Barrier which does no good to Lilin.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:29 am

Lilin+ is the coolest term but the only thing bugging me is how it deals with at fields, otherwise I buy it all.

Oh just remembered Asuka's lines about the at field not neutralizing the magical light, obviously taking away a whole layer of fat, yup I buy everything you've posted.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:55 am

^I never understood what was so special about the magic light, it'll probably never even come up again.

Also, Anti-AT Fields are apparently relatively easily produced now, since the Mark 4A screaming drone thingys all have them. AT Field tech seems to have advanced a great deal during the timeskip.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:24 am

To be fair Idk what the magical light is, it's just an attack bypassing at fields, I'm taking it as a foreshadow of the awakening later in the movie and I don't know how it's generated or anything.

The whole new anti at field stuff is a matter of design. It's something you don't need if you stick to the shooter setup evangelion has and trim the at fields stuff out, since you can't anti at field bullets turn things back to the combat not to rely to any animepowerup one timer shit (like beast modes) and stick to simple fast designed stuff (not in eva since they always make a point human means don't work against angels and it all sticks to its cyberpunk theme).
For example you know what mari's sniper rifle does simply by the looks of it, all according to fps design, but the giant tentacle thing from the beginning of Q? Asuka just couldn't stop describing everything that was happening and made me cringe.
/ot
Still I don't believe 01 was sealed not to turn everything into cores as much as messing with people's plans (it's not clear to me how many of Misato's actions were expected from gendo but part of it might be putting a stop to seele stuff...even if things turn bad for a while), sealing 01 away is overkill but I guess they just really needed the cassius thing and repair the ha incident?
Because isn't 00's core supposed to be into 01 or something? How was 01 dealt with from wille anyway?
Last edited by unz on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:36 am

View Original Postunz wrote:To be fair Idk what the magical light is, it's just an attack bypassing at fields, I'm taking it as a foreshadow of the awakening later in the movie and I don't know how it's generated or anything.

Or maybe AT Fields simply don't stop light, and neo-NERV found a way to weaponize that.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:40 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Or maybe AT Fields simply don't stop light, and neo-NERV found a way to weaponize that.

Through nte it's shown strong at fields can even bend light, still not all light comes like in Q with the awakening sound cue you get later with 13.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:37 pm

"Lilin+" doesn't mean what you think it means. Full context from the trailer was "Lilin+?", meaning "Lilin and ??? [unknown]". Misato, Kaji, Ritsuko, etc., are "Lilin"; "?" refers to whatever the hell the Children are / will become.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:46 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:"Lilin+" doesn't mean what you think it means. Full context from the trailer was "Lilin+?", meaning "Lilin and ??? [unknown]". Misato, Kaji, Ritsuko, etc., are "Lilin"; "?" refers to whatever the hell the Children are / will become.

Well anyway Lilin+ as in Lilin PLUS, an evolved Lilin. Still works.

I forgot to mention the pillars: Angel Sealing Hex Glyph pillars being carried by ships surrounding the Wunder seem to be what is keeping Lilin alive, despite the harsh environment. It apparently repulses coreifying somehow, as we see ships traversing through ice and waters where the whole area surrounding them was turned to core but a circle surrounding them.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:03 pm

View Original PostFredsq wrote:Well anyway Lilin+ as in Lilin PLUS, an evolved Lilin. Still works.

The caption in 1.0's next film preview that refers to "Lilin+?" does not in fact refer to entities called "Lilin Plus", and instead indicates that the pilots are something else that is yet to be revealed. (This is corroborated by the fact that Asuka in 3.0 uses "Lilin" as though the term does NOT encompass her and present company.) Therefore, it doesn't work. Better to avoid encouraging further misinterpretation of the caption, besides.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:55 am

View Original PostFredsq wrote:Well anyway Lilin+ as in Lilin PLUS, an evolved Lilin. Still works.

I forgot to mention the pillars: Angel Sealing Hex Glyph pillars being carried by ships surrounding the Wunder seem to be what is keeping Lilin alive, despite the harsh environment. It apparently repulses coreifying somehow, as we see ships traversing through ice and waters where the whole area surrounding them was turned to core but a circle surrounding them.

Not sure, glyphs are likely meant to neutrilize stuff or contain angels at start (I remember an article making piano notes out of them and you can hear the lullaby in Q during Shinji's mental breakdown) but Ha already has some kind of technology for the aquarium stuff but I'll get back on it.
Maybe they were meant for 01. They did use pillars on Asuka in Ha and she does have glyphs on her eyepatch

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:44 am

Maybe the hazmat suits are just simply a precautionary measure?

I mean, if you're coming across a foreign substance that hasn't been evaluated for human safety yet, it might be wise to, you know, not touch it.
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:51 pm

I know Eva is built on super Sendai tropes, so asking this question is basically the same as asking why the power rangers don't use the megazord before the bad guy becomes a giant monster.

But why not make the core material a bio weapon? Human beings would have no immunity to it, and a sick population dying of plague would make it easier to get to Lilith.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”