Asuka's plugsuit

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:47 pm

^ I don't know if I need to tell you to stop reading Eva doujinshi, or if I simply need to start.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:59 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:That was later, though (and didn't happen). And having called the third film Q he's having to break the pattern for the fourth.

My opinion is that it has to do with how 1.0-3.0 covers the entirety of the original series, while 3.0+1.0 will be going that step beyond what the original story had to offer. Jo/Ha/Kyuu/and beyond!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:47 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Maybe she's into that peeling feeling.

I would have thought Mari would be the one who has weird fetishes. :nyao:

But seriously, I would have imagined that there'd be another layer of tape on the inside, so that she doesn't feel the tape on her boob. Then again, it would have been awkward as fuck to tape up the inside of her left arm.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Asuka's appearence in 3.0 does discourage me while thinking of her angelic infection with her left eye, her behavior and her dangerous rage torwards Shinji which glorifies her into a true restless and vengefully warrior, who is scarred for life and lives a war without end. And that her appearence is also a reference to her last stand in EoE makes it more terrifying.

The other Plugsuit she wears in the later part of 3.0 seems less bulky than her actual plugsuit and being akin to how Unit 02 looks by the colors and also having a core in the center, which is unique on this suit because compaired to those from other pilots, Asuka hadn't a core on her plugsuit before. Symbolically
it does mean a change of something and the left collar bone is colored violet which indicates her membership to WILLE and the core on her suit could symbolise her angelic infection.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:50 pm

I don't remember the plugsuits but you can't have her play the warrior who faced death to spit existentialsm stuff after she cried to Shinji for help. In that sense it's to avoid some kind of silly trope. So we got a little bickering between the two every time they faced each other.
Thinking about it the glass foreshadows the at field things and it takes the whole movie for the two to get close in the same frame.
Last edited by unz on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:51 pm

All of Asuka's outfits are asymmetrical in 3.0: the taped-up plugsuit, the cat hat having pins on one side, the eyepatch, her bangs being pulled down over that eye. Even Unit 02 is mismatched. The new suit is probably just an extension of that. Except for the colored tips on her chest and the breast cups, the design is practically identical to Mari's.

The new plugsuits are less bulky than the classic models. The shoulders and neck aren't flared, the backpack unit is smaller and more streamlined, and they no longer have the raised band around the wrists. They look more like skinsuits or wetsuits now.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Yeah it's heavy handed as characterization, it could be about the intense fighting but the focus is on her mind. Suits and angels are specular in details but Asuka probably was the most unique mess around at start.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:20 am

I honestly think Asuka just kept the suit as a memento for when she saw Shinji again.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:23 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I honestly think Asuka just kept the suit as a memento for when she saw Shinji again.

Image macro removed. This isn't 4chan. Please stick to a text response -moderation staff.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:12 am

Don't know why this wasn't brought up but there's a mirror theme at play, after watching the israfel fight scene from the tv series I realized the angel looked like Shinji and Asuka in dancer clothes so I went back to Q stuff like the saucer evas till Shinji gets the choker etcetcetc just to confirm it's there. So yeah themes but little to no plot. The theory&analysis catalogue is rich

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:27 am

I'm pretty sure Q had a plot
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:38 am

^ I always felt that Q had a bit more story than plot in it. Either way, I don't feel that Q lacks anything in its overall narrative.

unz, what exactly are you referring to? Is a mirror theme between Asuka's plug suit and the Eva Saucers? This intrigues me.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I'm pretty sure Q had a plot

I meant behind the plug suit patches and the change of plug suits. brb

@filmfan
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Sachiel_and_the_Plugsuits

Saucers and tentacles are more of a parallel to the dss choker to me, would be interesting to see how they relate to anything beheaded.
I pretty much made my mind on Asuka's suit and 02's parallels.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 am

So we're calling the Nemesis series EVA saucers now?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Nha it's just me not having watched the movie in a while.
Nemesis sounds better than automatons or something I guess.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:23 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It could be all of the explanations ever offered, honestly. Asuka's plug suit in the beginning of Q matches the injuries both she and Unit 02 seemed to have taken during Asuka's final fight with the MPEs. So there's call-back references through that costume choice. Her's is the only abused-looking suit in all of Eva Q, which is a sign of personality and possibly even battle positions taken up by the character.

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:Asuka's appearence in 3.0 does discourage me while thinking of her angelic infection with her left eye, her behavior and her dangerous rage torwards Shinji which glorifies her into a true restless and vengefully warrior, who is scarred for life and lives a war without end. And that her appearence is also a reference to her last stand in EoE makes it more terrifying.

The other Plugsuit she wears in the later part of 3.0 seems less bulky than her actual plugsuit and being akin to how Unit 02 looks by the colors and also having a core in the center, which is unique on this suit because compaired to those from other pilots, Asuka hadn't a core on her plugsuit before. Symbolically
it does mean a change of something and the left collar bone is colored violet which indicates her membership to WILLE and the core on her suit could symbolise her angelic infection.

While Q is essentially beyond NGE and EoE, it is save to assume that her plugsuit (when she confronted Shinji) was something symbolic. Just look at this this. This is a respectful nod to EoE from Anno i think. And if i have to guess - Asuka sounds like Soryu in Q more than Shikinami. And Cruel this doesn't mean anything. Asuka isn't more vengeful than usual (let alone the dangerous rage). She was overwhelmed by the situation because Shinji (once again) pilots an Evangelion. Remember when Rei!Q showed up to pick up Shinji? Asuka was clearly overwhelmed and running like a maniac because Baka Shinji just leaves again. (especially because she shouts to Brillerella [Megane+Cinderella in German] that she should stop him - but Misato just tells him that he has to stay - which is also a clear indication that Asuka has more to this than her grief and so on) And when they meet again in Liliths Chamber she refers to him (before he explained his plan) as Baka Shinji and not Gaki-Shinji. This isn't an indication for something but evidential that Asuka is more than just the furious warrior.

The plugsuit could also be reference to the "progression" of the NGE plot. Just like Shinji destroyed the top of the Pyramid (which is also a clear reference to Pre-Third Impact in EoE). And lets not forget the plugsuit reference in until you come to me where Shikinami is clearly referenced to Soryu. Also the theory of multi-verse Shinji (in E26) applies to Asuka.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:36 pm

On Asuka being more of the warrior girl, yeah she goes through an unwilling exorcism of the events of Ha when she gets a revealing new suit and strangles Shinji. Q's final confrontation is playing on those "Shinji wrecks Asuka" events again with Shinji kind of taking over the role of aggressor at some point with a slap and Asuka fighting the invading angel back (in her eye/mind but kaworu too since all of these guys one up each other at some point) she previously couldn't. She pretty much pulls herself together every time and goes for the best option in 2 (letting Rei have her lunch thing etc), beginning and ending of Q (resquing shinji01 and getting ready for the time Shinji will be used - the main behaviour I can come up with) in a progression till she actually manages to get near Shinji.

For the sake of reading lolz into it, it's red riding hood having mental recovery or something.
Wouldn't be too surprised to find different dolls from nge and rebuilds.

There's also this rune stuff on the eye patch meant to contain her angeru part eye thing as a callback to the black eva, I'm just back from dummysystem's site and that rune crap was crazy.:0

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:05 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Given the formation we see the two of them take in Q on two separate occasions, I think it makes sense that Asuka's suit might be torn up a bit while Mari's isn't. Mari tends to play a supporting role for Asuka in battle, offering backup as a sniper and not typically getting close and personal with the enemy. Asuka, on the other hand, is very aggressive and hands-on with her fighting style, and would more likely experience damage during a fight.

Did we watch the same movies ? mari is clearly as gung ho as Asuka, only diference is Asuka is like captain america, she is a strategist, mari is wolverine, she just pulls the claws and hope for the best becouse she enjoys it.
ANATA BAKA !?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Asuka's plugsuit

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:06 pm

In Ha yes, Q no

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Asuka's plugsuit

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Another topic about Asuka (she's my favorite character) to bring up from the oblivion.

Why did Asuka wear a worn and damaged suit in Q? I think there are various reasons why other than simply "it looks cool", which it really does like many other things in Q.

First of all, as someone else wrote, I suspect it's a nod to EoE and the damage she sustained after the battle with the MPE, the patches maches the bandages in the beach scene and the damage to Eva-02 shown on the monitor.

It also appears quite early in the movie and helps setting the tone: 14 years have passed, the world is a mess and everything is destroyed and everyone is having an hard time surviving. Worn out clothes are instinctively connect to poverty and so it's an efficient way to tell the viewer something about Wille.

Then I think there's the "Rylo Ren's mask" effect. It has no real pratical reason to be like this and therefore it gives the viewers clues about the character's character without using dialogs.
Everyone has pretty fancy clothes at Wille, Misato is some kind of sexy Captain Harlock, uniforms are pretty clear on the deck and Mari have a brand new plugsuit since we saw her in 2.0. It's not even the test plugsuit she was wearing when she got destroyed by Eva-01 (thanks god for that, it looked awful), so Asuka is the only one wearing something pretty old, and it's the only old thing she wear: her hat and jacket are as clean as all the clothes in the movie, she wants to wear it and she's probably attached to this old plugsuit. Is the one from 2.0? I think it's the most logical option having overall the same design (just a "button" more")
Big patches around her body tells the viewer she needs to be fixed, there's something wrong in her and is something she had to deal with for a very long time, probably since she woke up post NTI. She's fragile and she can barely keep it together.

Clothes are something that had some focus in Q: Rei Q doesn't care about them, she have a scholar uniform lying and she uses the same black plugsuit, Misato is all covered, she doesn't show any part of her body and her face is covered by the hat and the dark glasses. Those three character changed between the two movies and Anno chose to show it with their clothes, which is something he has done since NGE (Misato's photo, Asuka's dress...).

If the plugsuit is so important to her then why does she changes it to fight Eva-13 and Shinji? I'm don't have a clear view on this.
She may not want to wear it anymore after having met Shinji again or she may not want to wear it for that particular mission but I think it's surely connected to Shinji's return, his immediate escape and how she need him for something since it's the only thing that happened to her during Q.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”