"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
mirakodus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mirakodus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 am

NTE happens in Asuka's mind while she is in coma ;p
"Fate of destruction is also the joy of the rebirth"

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:47 am

View Original Postfadadio wrote:Anyone notice at 4:06 in the film the reflection of Shinji is him from EOE?
I was thinking of the reflection at 5:44. I'm not sure if that was the intention, but that's what I thought of.

I'm not saying this short has any connection to the rebuild films or is simply an artists expression of the work, but if the intent is to hint at some themes or give us any information, I'd say sequel hints are very possibly there.

I wonder if everyone somewhat aggressively against any kind of sequel would be able to stomach the truth if it turns out to be the case when the final rebuild film is released.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:44 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Maybe Shinji was thinking of suicide before he saw Quantum Rei, also there is no indication ReiQ or Asuka is with him, backing up what I said about them splitting up.

Its the opening of EoE all over again, except not.
Like i said before with this being released i personally think Shin will be a combination of both the kind of things we saw in EoE and NTE making the film into something entirely different.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:57 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Its the opening of EoE all over again, except not.
Like i said before with this being released i personally think Shin will be a combination of both the kind of things we saw in EoE and NTE making the film into something entirely different.

3.0 has set up quite a few of the same things EOE had and this has been pointed out.

For example the way Shinji is by the end of 3.0 is like the way he is at the beginning of EOE.
Also in NGE doesn't Shinji constantly repeat before EOE that he is alone? With this if the trio ended up splitting then he might as well be alone at the start of Shin(I'd rather they show this).
The preview for 4.0 does imply that like EOE it will be Asuka vs the MPEs or rather Asuka and Mari, who's to say(besides Anno of course) her/their fate won't be the same as EOE.

With all the similarities 3.0 and Shin/4.0/Final has many differences from EOE like the whole 14 years, how nobody at Wille seems to care for Shinji at the moment, and how the only way he is getting back to Unit-01 is by earning Wille's trust or if they threaten his life, I mean god Misato in EOE just wanted to get him to walk(TY Demo D), and now they don't want him and Yui anywhere near each other.

I am completely agreeing with you on this it will have both aspects of NGE and NTE which will make something amazing.

Also @Sorrow, Very well if Anno wants to change the meaning of NGE with the confirmation that the sequel theory is true, then so be it, we can always still remember what the message was before. I will admit I should've been less concrete with my reasoning and saying "it never intended".
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:14 pm

^

I really hope that them splitting up isn't a possibility for Final, cause it's getting tiring where Shinji is just taking the back-seat in everything in his life all alone. I'd like for him to take an active role for once and have people around him that he can rely on for support.

I know that a big message of Eva is learning to love yourself when no one else will, but 1 is the loneliest number, and he doesn't have to always be alone. :sniffle:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:^

I really hope that them splitting up isn't a possibility for Final, cause it's getting tiring where Shinji is just taking the back-seat in everything in his life all alone. I'd like for him to take an active role for once and have people around him that he can rely on for support.

I know that a big message of Eva is learning to love yourself when no one else will, but 1 is the loneliest number, and he doesn't have to always be alone. :sniffle:

Well even if he is abandoned by the girl who had a crush on him 14 years prior and the girl who is a shadow of someone close to him... Even if he is abandoned by someone who tried to be his mother and is forgotten about... Shinji will have two people...

Yui Ikari/Evangelion Unit-01 and ReiII- If the quantum Rei seen in 3.0 and this is infact ReiII then as seen she still is there for him if not physically, also I would love to know what force is making the Quantum Rei(s) appear. As for Yui/01 well this should be self-explanatory, the minute Shinji is in any danger we all know that our favorite unit is gonna come busting out of the Wunder like it is being born.

They may not be there physically for Shinji, but they can give him power over everything else in that world, Gendo/Seele and Wille wouldn't be able to touch Shinji if he decides to go God mode(Unless Unit-13 decides to pull some plan and get a lance).

It like Shinji having a big brother or friend in sense of a guardian angel, no-one may want/need him or like him, but they won't fuck with him because I believe Wille has a inkling of what he can do.

Quantum Rei would almost seem to make Shinji re-think about drowning himself in this short, then Shinji goes towards what he was staring at, in much better condition then at Q's end I might add.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:01 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:

My quickie translation:

View Original PostYamashita wrote:Hiramatsu's Eva New Theatrical original story's work was a world forgotten with time, he was continuously drawing Shinji and the others image. [He/We?] really wanted to do this. And Kushida's background atmosphere is also wonderful.

Hopefully no errors. Wasn't quite sure what context おられました was in since no kanji (Broken down? To have done? Woven?).

ChaddyManPrime wrote:Yeah, I'm willing to bet that Kaworu had the Omega symbol on his back, Shinji is the beginning and Kaworu is the end.

Uhh.... http://wiki.evageeks.org/File:Eva3-33_C0936_plugsuits.jpg Kaworu's plugsuit has an uppercase alpha ("Α") while Shinji's has a lowercase alpha ("α").

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Major Misato Katsuragi crawling out of the red ocean and punching Captain Katsuragi of Wille in the face would be evidence of a Sequel Theory.

I'd pay to see this. A part of me wouldn't mind NGE/EoE Misato "telling it like it is" to NTE Misato. (I totally understand how they both developed in their respective stories, though.)

EDIT, about sequel theory talk:

As said before, 2.0 CRC and Entry File 1 (1.0 book) flat-out state the weirdness we see in NTE is from its Second Impact (just doesn't always say how, like the 1.0 chalk outline: Inferred to be one of the ADAMs but it could be something else for all we know). The only thing that needs explaining is Kaworu's lines.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Did anyone else find that this was the first of the animExpo shorts which was laggy and juddery? Not helped by their player not buffering ahead, so I couldn't even pause and wait for it to finish coming down the wire.

Not sure if it was just my low bandwidth connection, or Khara getting swamped by Eva fans.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

I only watched one of the other shorts and it was fine, while this one was juddery for me.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:07 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Not sure if it was just my low bandwidth connection, or Khara getting swamped by Eva fans.

I watched all 7 back-to-back last night--my connection was definitely getting laggy for some of the shorts. Not sure if was just the site buffering system or Eva fans making things slow.

Hell, I bet they made this Animator Expo short when they did to see just how high of a hit count they'll get. :lol:

Sequel theory talk merged with this thread. As a reminder...

PLEASE don't make this thread back and forth sequel theory arguing, folks!! There's plenty of other threads to take that discussion:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9474/Rebuild-not-a-sequel-but-perhaps-an-alternate-reality/

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13416/Remake-Sequel-Discussion/

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13212/Sequel-theory-once-again/

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12673/Why-do-people-hate-the-Sequel-Theory/

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/12166/Za-Beasto-Sequel-Theory-Shinji-manning-up-and-honorifics/

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9716/NME-Sequel-Prequel-Pfft-try-a-Midquel/

(Excluded any locked threads.)

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Again, Anno the king of the trolls. IMO, Shinji dying would be predictable, so it's not what I expect. What I expected was a lot of people trying to find facts in a short film that is 100% symbolism

So a little tribute to the franchise (manga included) and the sequel supporters start they battle again?? If you think Anno is gonna tell you that in a short film you're soooo wrong. And that comes from someone who doesn't like that theories but could accept a time loop. But direct sequel?? :facepalm: Even theories have limits.
Last edited by Jäeger on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:21 pm

I just treat this vid as "another montage we will never see in the movie".

I stopped caring about sequel/loop theories long ago and see no point in arguing about it. Everything will be plausible at this point, even wizard of Oz reverting Impacts.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Jäeger: I do like how both shorts (this and Peaceful times) had snow in Tokyo-III like the Sadamoto manga final volume.

I guess it's something in the back of their minds from the "battle in the snow" idea Gainax/Anno had for EoE.

Like other folks have mentioned, it would be fun to actually see a snowy Tokyo-3 in FINAL, but who knows.

Please just forget about sequel thread discussion and take it into the bumped Remake or a Sequel thread or one of the other available ones, mmkay?
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Please just forget about sequel thread discussion and take it into the bumped Remake or a Sequel thread or one of the other available ones, mmkay?

Ok, Maa'm :wink:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:16 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Even if he is abandoned by someone who tried to be his mother and is forgotten about... Shinji will have two people...

Yui Ikari/Evangelion Unit-01 and ReiII- If the quantum Rei seen in 3.0 and this is infact ReiII then as seen she still is there for him if not physically, also I would love to know what force is making the Quantum Rei(s) appear. As for Yui/01 well this should be self-explanatory, the minute Shinji is in any danger we all know that our favorite unit is gonna come busting out of the Wunder like it is being born.

People that aren't batshit crazy or Eldritch Abominations would be nice, and the way you describe his future life will be really shitty: in short everyone hates him and want to get rid of him, and the only thing that keeps him in one piece is an unholy world-ending giant monstrosity that keeps everyone in check.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:My quickie translation:
Yamashita wrote:Hiramatsu's Eva New Theatrical original story's work was a world forgotten with time, he was continuously drawing Shinji and the others image. [He/We?] really wanted to do this. And Kushida's background atmosphere is also wonderful.

Hopefully no errors. Wasn't quite sure what context おられました was in since no kanji (Broken down? To have done? Woven?).

Wouldn't the passage "a world forgotten with time" rather mean "a world forgotten by time", as in a place where time stopped (everything "frozen" by core erosion and the floating ruins of NERV), if I may turn on the wild speculation, that could imply that in the rest of the world, the time didn't stopped, but continued advancing, like the people of WILLE, thus hinting that things aren't as bad as around Tokyo-3?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wouldn't the passage "a world forgotten with time" rather mean "a world forgotten by time"

Crap, I should have said this earlier: Before any jumping the gun :wink: , I'm 90% sure it's just referencing how poor Hiramatsu's and Kushida's stuff was axed from 3.0 proper, except for the cat calender picture and this video.

Hope that helps!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm looking at all the discussion about this short, and it's great... but I still feel like analyzing it as if it's anything other than somebody else's interpretation of Eva other than Anno's about this one small section of the film is a mistake.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:17 pm

^ Care to elaborate?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Do we have any reason to think this isn't just Anno using the Animator Expo to give a promising animator, who worked on Q and got a raw deal during the editing process for that film, some much-needed exposure? I mean, given the purpose of the Expo and the director's backstory that sounds like an awfully compelling summary of the short's background and purpose to me, so I'm not sure why people are reading more into it.
Last edited by Bagheera on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Pretty much what Bags said, Freaky. I don't see a reason why this should be taken as canon-- after all, somebody that wasn't Anno did it, and people are trying to make sense out of it as if it's a stepping stone to Shin.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”