Amazon Auto Canceling Eva 3.33 preorders.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:41 am

I haven't listened to a dub of anything new in a long time. But I always liked Funimation's dubs in the post-DBZ era. I think the turning point was Yu Yu Hakusho, which surprised me because it came across as very ... faithful (no obscene name changes, for example). After that I loved everything that had their name on it, such as FMA. Have they swung back downwards with Steins;Gate? I've seen the whole series on DVD (or was it BD) without being aware there was a dub option, so those must have been from an earlier release, or was the dub there and I didn't know it?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I haven't listened to a dub of anything new in a long time. But I always liked Funimation's dubs in the post-DBZ era. I think the turning point was Yu Yu Hakusho, which surprised me because it came across as very ... faithful (no obscene name changes, for example). After that I loved everything that had their name on it, such as FMA. Have they swung back downwards with Steins;Gate? I've seen the whole series on DVD (or was it BD) without being aware there was a dub option, so those must have been from an earlier release, or was the dub there and I didn't know it?

All I know is when Funimation does Shonen stuff like Fairy Tail and FMA, they're usually almost always golden. However, all other anime tv series they touch usually get dubbed badly. Honestly its a crying shame A Certain Scientific Railgun and Steins Gate were treated the way they were. The small mannerisms and miscellaneous gasps, verbal gestures done by the Japanese dub cast definitely ignored almost entirely when they dub it. It loses its charm.

Viz Media on the other hand is a fine example of good dubbing. They haven't done a lot outside of Bleach, Naruto, Tiger and Bunny and now Gargantia: On the Verdurous Planet, but each one of their dubbing efforts can be called the best in the English anime dubbing industry in my humble opinion. Especially Gargantia. They've done it with that one! Thank god Funimation didn't get this series!

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:38 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:All I know is when Funimation does Shonen stuff like Fairy Tail and FMA, they're usually almost always golden. However, all other anime tv series they touch usually get dubbed badly.

I found Darker Than Black and Spice & Wolf to have very well done dubs. I know it's also much older but School Rumble was pretty spot on as well.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:28 pm

I agree the Dec 30 is just a placeholder so Amazon doesn't cancel their orders.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer to listen to shows in my own language. I'm fairly used to subtitles but I just prefer to get to understand the entire experience and not have to dedicate my full attention to something, especially when I'm watching the movie with someone.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:02 pm

I for one am really starting to get really ansty about this all. I'm pretty sure they are going for the February release again, but I'm really starting to get impatient about the fact I still don't own this movie yet.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Yeah, it’s even starting to grate on me, and I already have the Japanese release. I know Khara is working with Funi on this one, and I know that they will release the best product that they can, but it might all honestly feel like too little too late by the time they’re all done with it.

Though honestly, I blame that feeling more on the fact that Funi had already announced it and then pulled it than I do the actual amount of time spent waiting. If we had been waiting this long without the initial fake-out, the waiting probably wouldn’t have felt this bad.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:54 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:If we had been waiting this long without the initial fake-out, the waiting probably wouldn’t have felt this bad.

100% agree with this, that's exactly why I wish they could have thrown us a release date ballpark ("Our release will be in the __ quarter of 201_")--or better yet, not have mentioned anything at all with the "3.0's getting an extended theatrical run" B.S. that never happened.

I'm sure Funi'll give us the best product possible, especially with the great translation/subs on the Japanese end of things (and I hope they won't disappoint with the fixed dub!), and there's only so much they can say publicly due to NDAs, but still. Extremely frustrating for me as a fan! I was somebody who originally just wanted to own the Khara BD releases of NTE, but the cost is just too much for me right now. So for me, waiting on Funimation is the next best thing--especially when I received both Funi 1.11/2.22 BDs as a present last year.

To put things in TL;DR terms: :misatogeh:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:36 pm

To be fair, they had a dub, they put it in the theatre, they presumably truly believed that the DVDs would be released as advertised. It's the slowness of explaining what's going on that was the problem - trying to save embarrassment, perhaps, but actually increasing it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:21 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I have a bad feeling that I'm the only regular forum member who still hasn't seen a quality version of the movie yet.

Nope. Due to the lack of a USA release and of my morality against stealing entertainment, I have not seen the movie. The script however I have read, so that pretty much counts as half the movie right there.

Also, good for Amazon. This should be a kick in the ass for Funi/Gainax, despite the fact that torrents are probably to blame.

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:57 am

Torrents are to blame for what exactly?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 am

View Original PostIronfoot wrote:Nope. Due to the lack of a USA release and of my morality against stealing entertainment, I have not seen the movie. The script however I have read, so that pretty much counts as half the movie right there.

Also, good for Amazon. This should be a kick in the ass for Funi/Gainax, despite the fact that torrents are probably to blame.

Gainax has never had anything to do with NTE, nor do they seem to have the copyright to NGE anymore.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:00 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Gainax has never had anything to do with NTE, nor do they seem to have the copyright to NGE anymore.

Sorry, Khara. I'm still thinking old school.

vito wrote:Torrents are to blame for what exactly?

Torrents are well known to cost artists money due to the fact that it's basically stealing. The entertainment industry loses billions of dollars due to people stealing their stuff. The whole thing is ironic, considering that the same people who torrent 3.33 are also hurting the industry and giving companies the view that releasing DVD's would only put the movie on BitTorrent for everyone else to use, thus drastically lowering their sales. Why sell something if only a few will buy it and rip it for everyone else to steal? That's the problem.

If they really wanted to get 3.33 out there, then streaming it on the Internet through sites like Crunchyroll would be the ideal solution.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Well, I’ve seen only scattered clips of the 3.33 cam-rip sometime after I had already purchased the Japanese Blu-ray. (Giving pretty much ALL of that money to Khara specifically, thank you.) I did it only to see what everyone’s fuss was about when it came to perceived sound issues (there wasn’t a whole lot that could be determined from a crappy cap-rip), but from what I saw you could really only see the far right third of the screen. Far from even a complete viewing of the film, much less a quality viewing. While I agree that illegal torrenting of films is a problem and that any cam-rip shouldn’t exist out of principle, especially those of lesser-known artists, I doubt that this particular un-subbed, garbled audio cam-rip will harm any US sales of Q.

What really might harm US sales of Q is simply the fact that I own it already, purchased legally from Japan, and am not in as big a hurry for the Funi version as the rest of you guys are. (Don’t get me wrong, I’ll but it to see the different subtitles and to get a translated version of the 60-page booklet. But I’m not going to run out and buy it as soon as it comes out unless there’s a sale for 50% off or greater.)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:58 pm

View Original Postvito wrote:Torrents are to blame for what exactly?

While most people buying torrents are those that wouldn't buy the BD release anyway, the existence of an equal substitute to a BD at 100% less of the price could convince people that were on the fence about the issue to just go and download the torrent instead of paying for the disc. There are the rare people who will torrent anime and then buy the release when they have the money to do so, but mostly the damage is coming from people who would normally buy the BD but in the existence of a torrent choose to claim the content for free instead.

/assumption

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:00 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:While most people buying torrents are those that wouldn't buy the BD release anyway, the existence of an equal substitute to a BD at 100% less of the price could convince people that were on the fence about the issue to just go and download the torrent instead of paying for the disc. There are the rare people who will torrent anime and then buy the release when they have the money to do so, but mostly the damage is coming from people who would normally buy the BD but in the existence of a torrent choose to claim the content for free instead.

/assumption

Right, the problem is the question of economics and ethics. In the face of a jobless society where people have tight budgets, ethics tends to get thrown out the window but by stealing content instead to get their fix, they inadvertently burn the hands of the distributors who in the end lose money on their physical sales. Everyone's got a show they love to watch and get hyped over, and often times the only way to watch it before a BD is ever released is through a camrip, or a rip from a PAL release or something similar. The USA of course has a very large amount of torrenters, people that consume large quantities of content and they have shown that they don't care how they get their fix. If they cannot afford it, they don't care, they will get it.

Another factor is that the brick and mortar way of releasing content is becoming somewhat outdated with the advent of online streaming of entire anime shows. I can go onto Crunchyroll with a small monthly subscription and watch hundreds of episodes of Naruto if I so wish to do so (god forbid I do), which saves countless hours of downloading said episodes through torrents. But again, many people are broke and can't even afford that. So if you can't afford the show, then what's to stop them from saying "I can't buy this, so I'll just torrent it." I'm actually a little surprised that the Rebuild series isn't being streamed through Netflix and whatnot because that seems to be the better solution if Khara and/or Funi is concerned about sales and people stealing their content.

But yeah. Those are my two cents.

Dancougar82
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dancougar82 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:20 pm

View Original PostIronfoot wrote:Right, the problem is the question of economics and ethics. In the face of a jobless society where people have tight budgets, ethics tends to get thrown out the window but by stealing content instead to get their fix, they inadvertently burn the hands of the distributors who in the end lose money on their physical sales. Everyone's got a show they love to watch and get hyped over, and often times the only way to watch it before a BD is ever released is through a camrip, or a rip from a PAL release or something similar. The USA of course has a very large amount of torrenters, people that consume large quantities of content and they have shown that they don't care how they get their fix. If they cannot afford it, they don't care, they will get it.

Another factor is that the brick and mortar way of releasing content is becoming somewhat outdated with the advent of online streaming of entire anime shows. I can go onto Crunchyroll with a small monthly subscription and watch hundreds of episodes of Naruto if I so wish to do so (god forbid I do), which saves countless hours of downloading said episodes through torrents. But again, many people are broke and can't even afford that. So if you can't afford the show, then what's to stop them from saying "I can't buy this, so I'll just torrent it." I'm actually a little surprised that the Rebuild series isn't being streamed through Netflix and whatnot because that seems to be the better solution if Khara and/or Funi is concerned about sales and people stealing their content.

But yeah. Those are my two cents.

Hmm... If that were true then anime would be stacking up on Walmart video shelves. Fact of the matter is that it does sell and sell well. So while streaming is fine and nice, the fact of the matter is that not everyone has a net connection or a good net connection, or the money to get a cruchyroll acct, etc. So actually having the physical disks to play is a plus for them, as well as for those viewers who just want to have the series to watch at their leisure without having to worry about what happens if you should let the acct go for whatever reason. No, I would say that the brick and mortar sales will go on as long as there are stores.
--Dancougar82

fleeting
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby fleeting » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:56 am

I think of a torrent as just a way to see it ahead of release. I always buy the official release when it comes out (or like 1.0 ... 3 freakin copies...1.01, 1.11 -both on dvd- then eventually the bluray. Only one copy of the dvd and bluray for 2.22 though. whew!).

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:15 am

View Original Postfleeting wrote:I think of a torrent as just a way to see it ahead of release.

There has been plenty of times when I watched a torrent version first, then go out and buy the actual physical copy because I liked it so much.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:31 pm

I bought the BD so that I wouldn't feel guilty about having an electronic copy. :tongue:

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:38 am

lol is this new?

What is the status of the home video release of Evangelion 3.33?
We are working directly with the Japanese studio and the original creator on the upcoming Evangelion 3.33 home video release. This is a unique opportunity that presented itself to us, and since the plot for Evangelion 3.33 is so different from previous story lines, we are thrilled that the creator has asked to be so heavily involved in this project. Studio Khara has even decided that they would like to create their own special subtitle tracks for the release! We thank you for your continued patience as we work to confirm a release date. Please keep an eye on our social channels and our website for more updates!

http://www.funimation.com/forum/faq.php?s&do=search&q=Evangelion&titleandtext=1&match=all

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”