Amazon Auto Canceling Eva 3.33 preorders.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:37 pm

View Original PostGrimmjow wrote:In some ways, you can see how this incident proves Anno has deep respect for the English speaking fanbase of Evangelion and wants to ensure we get to experience the most accurate translation of the movie.

I don't really think it shows that. Japanese companies often have quirky licensing/translation requirements for the English language release. Many times they don't even make sense. For example, Anno/Gainax had insisted that ADV use "Third Children" instead of "Third Child" (with no reasonable explanation why) and ADV put their foot down because it grammatically made no sense. Another example, in Hellsing, Funimation is allowed to say "Alucard" in the English dub, but the licensor requires them to write "Arucrard" in print versions. I don't think the changes will give us the most accurate translation of the movie, but rather the version Anno/Khara demand whether for better or worse.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:52 pm

Idea for a Funi two-pack if this goes on long enough:

EVANGELION 3.33 + 3.0+1.0: TWO REBUILD MOVIES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE(plus one)!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm fairly sure they will change the name to make it easier for the American audience.

Unless Anno stomps his foot down like he did for the dub of 3.0.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm fairly sure they will change the name to make it easier for the American audience.

Unless Anno stomps his foot down like he did for the dub of 3.0.

"NO! I WANT MY MOVIE TITLE TO MAKE NO SENSE! I WANT MY AUDIENCE TO ARGUE ABOUT THIS FOR ANOTHER 20 YEARS!"
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:20 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm fairly sure they will change the name to make it easier for the American audience.

Why would he do that? The last time he did that he literally forced us to learn and speak Greek.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:28 am

"...and when we finish that, we're doing advanced Aramaic next!"

"No! No more!"

"It puts the language in its brain, else it feels the pain!"
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:07 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Why would he do that? The last time he did that he literally forced us to learn and speak Greek.

Is there really much to change in the new movies, though? The whole "You can (not)" scheme has been the same regardless of where the film has come out.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Why would he do that? The last time he did that he literally forced us to learn and speak Greek.

Oh, about this: the pseudodetransliteration Νέον Γένεσις Εὐαγγέλιον which is probably the standard given (if anyone actually tries to pseudodetransliterate it) makes no sense. Νέον and Εὐαγγέλιον agree, but Γένεσις is a different gender and doesn't have any connection to the rest. One might be able construct an argument that it means "Birth is New Evangelion" but from what I know of Greek grammar that would be pretty queer and probably ungrammatical (it might need the article?). However, of course Greek has two letters that transliterate to o. Νέων Γένεσις Εὐαγγελίων is pretty clear, meaning "Birth of New Evangelia", which lines up pretty well with the usual translation of "Birth of a New Evangelion" save for the fact that Evangelion is in the plural.
Last edited by Lavinius on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Speaking of which, I think Gonzo's Last Exile used a ton of Greek-- actual Greek, with the characters and everything. I'd be interested to find a translation of it all, so hopefully google will oblige me with the results.

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:48 pm

I'm pretty sure we're not going to see 3.0 for another year. If what is said is true (about the dub being redone), then that process might take a while. Plus recalling the older copies they already had produced. It's an odd situation to say the least. I preordered it a while back and now I just feel like Funimation owes me. Free poster or something.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:34 pm

Put my vote down for Tuesday February 10th, 2015 OR Tuesday February 17th, 2015 as when they'll finally release the damn thing. One whole year after the intial announcement.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Put my vote down for Tuesday February 10th, 2015 OR Tuesday February 17th, 2015 as when they'll finally release the damn thing. One whole year after the intial announcement.

That is when I was expecting it too come out too. We atleast know that it isn't Funimation driven at all. There must be some reason Anno and Khara have decided to make it a hell for Funi to release. With the upcoming Retrospective I wounder if we will hear anything, likely not.

I do believe what Funi said in the podcast I posted earlier in this thread, maybe by the time Vol 14 of the Manga rolls out we will hear something.

Also unless my Amazon just bugged out or something, 3.33 appears to be back on pre-order... WAT?
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Sent Yesterday by Amazon.

Hello,

We've good news! We now have delivery date(s) for your item(s) listed below. We’ll send a confirmation when your items ship. If you would like to view the status of your entire order or make any changes to it, please visit Your Orders
on Amazon.com.
Delivery Estimate Details
Order Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]
Placed on Sunday, June 15, 2014
Your new estimated delivery date is: Tuesday, December 30, 2014
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:24 pm

View Original Postcat42 wrote:Sent Yesterday by Amazon.

Hello,

We've good news! We now have delivery date(s) for your item(s) listed below. We’ll send a confirmation when your items ship. If you would like to view the status of your entire order or make any changes to it, please visit Your Orders
on Amazon.com.
Delivery Estimate Details
Order Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]
Placed on Sunday, June 15, 2014
Your new estimated delivery date is: Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I got this too, hmm it looks like now all we do is wait. :)
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:16 pm

December 30th? That's one day shy of being a placeholder.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:20 pm

probably is, rightstuf hasn't listed a release date yet
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:22 pm

That date by amazon is probably just a place holder. Though it would be awesome if Funimation gave us a Christmas surprise. Otherwise I'm expecting Feb. 2015, a full year later.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:53 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Oh, about this: the pseudodetransliteration Νέον Γένεσις Εὐαγγέλιον which is probably the standard given (if anyone actually tries to pseudodetransliterate it) makes no sense. Νέον and Εὐαγγέλιον agree, but Γένεσις is a different gender and doesn't have any connection to the rest. One might be able construct an argument that it means "Birth is New Evangelion" but from what I know of Greek grammar that would be pretty queer and probably ungrammatical (it might need the article?). However, of course Greek has two letters that transliterate to o. Νέων Γένεσις Εὐαγγελίων is pretty clear, meaning "Birth of New Evangelia", which lines up pretty well with the usual translation of "Birth of a New Evangelion" save for the fact that Evangelion is in the plural.

I have the same issue with the Madoka Magica subtitle.

Puella Magi doesn't agree at all. At all. Wrong Gender, wrong number.
Leave Shinji alone

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:07 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:I'm pretty sure we're not going to see 3.0 for another year. If what is said is true (about the dub being redone), then that process might take a while. Plus recalling the older copies they already had produced. It's an odd situation to say the least. I preordered it a while back and now I just feel like Funimation owes me. Free poster or something.
Anno owes us a new masturbation scene in 3.0+1.0 with jiggly tits and cgi cumshot.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:13 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Oh I don't believe this was on here, but about a month ago Funimation did a live-stream that shed light on the reason why it is taking so long for 3.33 to release in English. Basically it is all Khara driven, and the way they describe it, I don't think Funi is the problem.

This was released Sep. 18, 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-IypWVGO0&feature=youtu.be&t=28m26s

The 3.33 answer is at the start of their Q&A, which is a little before the middle.

Personally I don't blame Khara for being a bit more anal about Funimation's dubbing efforts. Honest to god Funimation has been doing some atrocious dubs as of late for most of its releases. Meanwhile other companies like Sentai Filmworks and Viz Media seem to be getting their A-game on churning out some awesome dubs. The worst offenders in my opinion are Funimation's recent dubbing efforts with Railgun and Steins Gate. Terrible performances and mis-cast actors/actress for the characters in each anime.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”