Missing Characters in 3.0 & Beyond [split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:55 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:This provides more support for the N3I vs 3I argument; what Shinji did at the end of 2.22 must have been different than the event that caused the apocalyptic red earth we end up with in 3.33.

Indeed Good Sir :devil:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:This provides more support for the N3I vs 3I argument; what Shinji did at the end of 2.22 must have been different than the event that caused the apocalyptic red earth we end up with in 3.33.

Also, if there was a "eye of the cyclone" effect, then why did the members of the Katsuragi expedition died during Second Impact?
They were at the epicenter of the Impact - like Misato and Ritsuko were at the epicenter of N3I - yet Misato was the only survivor, and only because her father put her in an emergency capsule and launched her in the sea, kilometers away from the epicenter.

But if N3I was the exact same kind of Impact than 2I, its "continuation" as Ritsuko said, then the people at the epicenter of 2I should had survived, and actually only Misato should had died (chilling now that I think about it)

That's why it's impossible that Shinji's N3I is what turned the landscape red, because if that was the case, no one from Tokyo-3 should be alive : it was simply stopped by Kaworu before starting the nasty terraforming and mass extermination stuff, and something else did the job later.

Also why what Shinji did would be called "Near" Third Impact : 2I ravaged a good chunk of the planet and population, yet no one calls it "Near Second Impact", and N3I stopped before it exterminate all of mankind, like 2I, so why it's called "Near" 3I?
Wouldn't that mean that it didn't even get to the terraforming phase, hence "Near", while what happened later with the 12th Angel and Lilith got the time to start that phase, hence "Third Impact". Even WILLE uses the two terms : Ritsuko speaks of N3I when talking about the records of Shinji's dental info to confirm it's him, while Asuka talk about "Third Impact all over again" when Fourth Impact starts.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 am

First time I saw 3.0, I was fixated on the fact that the world had changed in Shinji's absense and everyone had aged except for him, and how 'left behind' that could make one feel. The other pilots hadn't aged physically, but they hadn't been unconscious for 14 years like Shinji, and thus had 'aged' mentally*. Everyone had grown up without him. So when I saw the scene with Toji's shirt, I was like "Oh, of course, he's grown up and that shirt wouldn't fit him anymore" (and Shinji gets his hand-me-down) before realizing "...or he's dead".

[*Agewise Kaworu and ReiQ are exceptions, but also special cases, as they are probably not technically fourteen years old.]

I still think it'd make for an interesting scene if Shinji were to meet even one of the members of the "now-28-years-old" trio of Toji, Kensuke and Hikari (assuming Toji didn't become a pilot, or at least was unaffected by the Curse of Eva). Their survival would be a relief, but their age may hammer home that everyone has grown up without him. Probably a redundant point though, considering how much he's already aware of having changed while he was asleep.

I actually had a dream about the "destination that will teach him hope". The Wunder picked up Shinji and the others, and flew to a Wille base/settlement on the cross-patterned moon. The cross pattern turned out to be the thickest parts of a vast AT-field (like that seen in the preview for Final) that encompassed the moon entirely. The moon had been terraformed to be inhabitable for humans, through an Eva utilizing a pair of spears (one Longinus, one Cassius). Toji, Kensuke and Hikari were there, along with Pen Pen (maybe Pen Pen was affected by the 'curse' :P).

Also in that dream, the Failures of Infinity were all actually new, complete Evas, each piloted by one of the "Ayanami series" (I think this was also meant to explain Lilith's disembodied head resembling Rei's). Gendo had attempted to induce a proper Impact a bunch of times, but the Evas became decrepit in the process, and physics went wonky, allowing some of them to "Philadelphia Experiment" through buildings. Turned out he needed Shinji specifically for the Impact to be completed. ...Ugh, sorry, this isn't the dreams thread.

Anyway, I'm very eager to see Shinji's destination in Final, and find out how many survivors there really are. Wanna find out if pwhodges was onto something with the possibility that that image from the Khara calendar (Shinji heading into the distance, with some megastructure in the background) was developed from something planned for Final. No one's pinned it as a reference to another franchise like some of the other images, right?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:54 pm

No one's pinned it to anything that I'm aware of. I'm not even sure that everyone agrees that it's definitely Shinji. But given the simple fact of it being in the Khara calendar, there has to be some connection, even if it's just the artist's imagination of a possible future scene rather than one known to be planned. Anyway, I love the picture, and remain convinced that it is Shinji - as shown by the fact that it was my avatar for the past couple of months.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Also, if there was a "eye of the cyclone" effect, then why did the members of the Katsuragi expedition died during Second Impact?

Because of the physical explosion unrelated to the terraforming event.

A such effect is the only thing that explains why Kid!Misato was significantly more alive than the sea life which was "destroyed down to micro organisms" and those billions of victims...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 pm

There are a lot of things different from the Impact in the original series. For all we know each impact could be incredibly different.

At 2nd Impact there are four giants instead of one. The seas turned red instead of staying blue. Everyone already knows about Lilith (seriously whats up with Lilith?).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:00 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:There are a lot of things different from the Impact in the original series.

Yes, but something they both have in common is that billions and died, but little Misato, ridiculously close to the epicenter, somehow didn't.

This gets even weirder in Rebuild with the giant vortex still spinning there - how did Misato even get to the next landmass/get retrieved?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:13 pm

I don't think that the vortex itself is armful, but the energy that the SoL/Awakened Evangelion pours onto it (or extract from it) to launch the Impact proper, which is probably some sort of terraforming shockwave, exactly like Third Impact in EoE : bigass eye-splosion that razed what was left of Tokyo-3, accompanied by a giant shockwave that tanged everyone it touched (meaning everyone).

In Rebuild, Second Impact was stopped after the big explosion, but before it goes to the big shockwave that would had killed everyone(something probably got wrong and the explosion ejected the ADAMs instead of releasing the shockwave, or at least one powerful enough to do more than turn the oceans red), explaining why Misato was spared. Also the billions of dead weren't from 2I proper, but from the raising seas, famines and monstrous wars that followed.

Now for Rebuild!3I, the problem is that we do have something resembling the giant eye-splosion : the giant iris thing around the floating main shaft, it could be that the explosion was so intense that it raze flat and then vitrify everything in the explosive center (nukes can do that, so a fantastic mega-terraforming nuke from a ancient race of aliens? Easy for them!), but then again, how could had Misato and co survived such a monstrous blast?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 am

A while back there was image of kensuke as pilot fighting a angel working for seele but it turn out to be fake. I think there a chance the image is more real then anyone want it be. I dougth 4 brats were the only pilots over the time skip.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 am

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:I dougth 4 brats were the only pilots over the time skip.

No, knowing NERV, they probably enlisted 5 other brats to pilots Units 07, 10, 11 and 12! :lol:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”