The Book of Law

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Charogne
Embryo

The Book of Law

•      
  •      

Postby Charogne » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Well, I didn't find anything about this, but at the end of Evangelion 1.11 Keel Lorenz tells to Kaworu that " The Dead Sea Scroll Apocrypha " have been fulfilled up to the Books of law but we doesn't know anything about this book and no one talk about this in Eva 2.22 or 3.33... What could it be ? Could it be a new pact, a new prophecy ?

SPOILER: Show

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Here's the wikipedia article referencing the real-world Book of Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_Law
wikipedia wrote:Crowley proclaimed the arrival of a new stage in the spiritual evolution of humanity, to be known as the "Æon of Horus". The primary precept of this new aeon is the charge to "Do what thou wilt".

Upon a quick skimming, this is the only bit I could pull from the entire page that even thematically seems relevant to Eva. In Eva terms, I interpret this as something Gendo would say in regards to giving humanity the power over it's future or some such thing.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

I highly doubt Anno went as far as adding references to some weird religion in Rebuild. Considering the translation is accurate and the SEELE guy really is talking about books of law I'd imagine they'd be referencing this:

The first five books of the Bible are sometimes called the Pentateuch which means “five books.” They are also known as the books of the law because they contain the laws and instruction given by the Lord through Moses to the people of Israel.

Source.

As for what it means in the context of the series, if I had to guess, I'd say they are probably a portion of the Dead Sea Scrolls much like their real life counterpart is a portion of the bible. This is just Anno playing with biblical references, I doubt this will ever be mentioned again.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Charogne, what are the source of your translation?

If it's from Dybex(since your French like me), then the truth is that whoever made the translation of that part botched it horribly, in none of the other official translation(and I mean the Portuguese, Italian and Spanish translation on the very same Blu-Ray than Dybex's French translation) there's any mention of a "Book of Law" or anything else beside the SDSS.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

I've sorta weaved in and out of Crowley, but if I remember, his religion wasn't exactly substantiated, unlike ones like Christianity or Judaism.

Charogne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charogne » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:44 am

ElMariachi : Yes, it's from Dybex but the French dub mention " Le livre des codes ", and I couldn't find anything about a " book of codes " so I watched a Japanese version with English subtittles. ( but I agree with you, a lot of parts are botched )

So I made some research about this book and found :
- This book is talking about a law of Thelema ( which means " the will " in grec ), this is the key of a new era, and this era lasts 2000 years and there is a crowned and conquering child
- The Book of The Law establishes a cosmological triad ( with a goddess of the night, reminds me Rei)
- According to Crowley ( writter of the book ), the discovery and demonstration of clean, unique and intimate True Will is the main task of any Thelemic. This desire is not that of the common man, but it is the Divine that is within each of us, the Shiah Kabbalists. Crowley refers to the process of discovering the True Will as the Great Work, the base of which is Love. Evangelion is a story about true will and love, I think..

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”