Mari and her Eva

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Mari and her Eva

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 am

Have you noticed that Mari is the only one who makes gestures and stuff using her Eva?

2.0 - she's flexing the arm of Unit 2 just before the Zeruel battle

3.0 - She makes Unit 8 bow in apology to Unit 2 when she bails out of the Unit 1 salvage mission and gives a big hearty thumbs up when Asuka gives the tactics in the final battle.

None of the other pilots (in Rebuild or the original series) do this sort of thing.

Discuss :)
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:20 am

She's English - she's polite.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 am

^I still haven't seen her wearing a top hat, drinking tea and eating biscuits.
AND she's definitely not very civilized person. (Hyper-active, meows ect.)

Yes, she may be somewhat polite, but that's it.

Sorry, she's clearly not from England. :heehee:
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 am

Not seen her with her tea? You haven't been paying attention.

And even I don't have a top hat, nor have I ever worn one (though I once wore court dress. when the Queen Mum came to visit my school).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:39 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Not seen her with her tea? You haven't been paying attention.

It wasn't made in England. :wink:

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Mari and her Eva

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Discuss :)

I think it's absolutely silly (not in a good way) and takes away from the gritty atmosphere of what's going on in Q. Asuka is in serious danger in space and she's all like "Eh.....sorry?" The Wundar is getting ass ravaged by the Mark 09 while the world is ending and she's all like "....bouncy boobs to the rescue!" You could say that's the whole point of her character, but it just seems way off from reality and every time I see it happen I get a big frown on my face.

When the Mark 09 flies off with Shinji i hand and she's all like "You could at least say hi or something!" Honestly, who says that crap?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:41 pm

You could say that's the whole point of her character, but it just seems way off from reality

This is the thing, Mari is almost in a different reality from the rest of the cast - at no point in 3.0 is she face-to-face with another character and there's only where she drops out of the sky and gets to second base with Shinji that she does in 2.0 - her name is only said a couple of times in 2.0+3.0.

It's like Anno and co are emphasising her differences and seperateness from the rest of the eva universe.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:58 pm

@Jay and Ian
I think that ElMariachi and others were discussing about this in some other Mari related topic.

EDIT: Oh, here it is: [url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/15635/Mari-is-irrelevant-not-character-bashing/0/?[/url]

This similar discussion starts @xanderkh's second post.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm

At first, I didn't really like her "ROGER Image" but now it always amuses me. Maybe it's a bit out of place, but whatever.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

I think it may come from the relationship Mari has with her Eva : Shinji sees piloting the Eva as a burden and deep down is scared of it, Rei only sees piloting as part of her purpose in existence, and Asuka sees her Eva as a weapon, her instrument of destruction to win the war.

Maybe Mari identify herself more to the Eva, sees it as an extension of her body instead of an instrument, which explain why it mimics her gestures : the others subconsciously suppress these movements because that's not the proper way to use a weapon.
That's why when Mari flex her hands or makes a thumbs up in her entry plug, or when she's waiting for it to recharge with her head in her hand it, her Eva follows.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that Mari has the highest synch-rate among the pilot except Kaworu because to this odd relationship she have with her Eva.(and maybe she lowers it belows Asuka's synch-rate on purpose to don't piss her off)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Saying all that, it could be Mari stays in her Eva because she can't help herself around Asuka - especially if some of that fan art is anything to go by ;)

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:38 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Maybe Mari identify herself more to the Eva, sees it as an extension of her body instead of an instrument, which explain why it mimics her gestures : the others subconsciously suppress these movements because that's not the proper way to use a weapon.

It's an interesting set up for ZA BEASTO theme, don't you think?

Ironically, someone's already done this kind of thing before. Shinji uses Unit-01's eyes to watch Rei chatting to Gendo while he sits in the cockpit.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:It wasn't made in England. :wink:

No tea is. Now you know why the British Empire got started. :wink:
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:Ironically, someone's already done this kind of thing before. Shinji uses Unit-01's eyes to watch Rei chatting to Gendo while he sits in the cockpit.

Actually, he was just using the zoom of his targeting system for that, he's seen doing it on other occasions, for example when he looked at Toji and Kensuke during the Shamshel battle and when he zoomed at Bardiel during 2.0.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:57 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Actually, he was just using the zoom of his targeting system for that, he's seen doing it on other occasions, for example when he looked at Toji and Kensuke during the Shamshel battle and when he zoomed at Bardiel during 2.0.

It's more that he's doing it for personal reasons, the way Mari is doing it to express herself. It's taking a "robot" and adding your more human elements to it. In the commentary pages, they compare what Shinji is doing to some sort of voyeurism that happens in Megazone 23 (The link is broken so I don't know exactly what that is?).
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:05 pm

But even if it was for personal reasons, he just used a zoom on a targeting system, to stay on that example, if it was Mari, you would probably see her Eva subtly leaning forward as if it was trying to lean closer and squint its eye to better see, because that's what Mari would do if she wasn't in her Eva, and anyway being in or out of the Eva doesn't make any difference for her : the key is that the others pilots are piloting an Evangelion, Mari becomes her Evangelion, therefore has the same body language than if she was outside the entry plug.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Mari isn't Shinji and Asuka's kid from the future. She's from the past, from a previous time loop.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm

It's fun. That's all there is to it.

I like Mari. She's a charismatic personality. At least in my eyes.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:52 pm

She definitely has the tendency to be shown in the same pose/motions as her EVA more than the others.

You actually see it back in her first battle, when her arms move in tandem with EVA 05's lances, much like she later does it with EVA 02's clenching hands, it's a call back.

I don't think it's meant to show us anything beyond her "expressive" personality. She just doesn't hold anything of her back, allthough she does take some actions to be left alone with her weirdness.

That, and it might be supposed to show her adeptitude with the EVA/synchronization, that even the smallest gestures get immediately translated withiut her having to conciously will it to reflect every gesture.

Or maybe it's just her style, and she likes to move around along with the EVA to immerse herself in the experience.
For whatever it's worth (technology marched on in the meantime), Asuka remains in her chair while doing beast mode.

---

It's like Anno and co are emphasising her differences and seperateness from the rest of the eva universe.

I'd say that it's more deliberate on her part/more intricate than that. She's a loner as much as the rest of the cast, she's just a lot more aware of her choices in the matter than Shinji or pre-timeskip Asuka are.
Compare/contrast with Shinji, who's willing to bend over backwards so the other's won't hate him, but can't really stop himself from inwardly resenting being oushed around - Mari is, in a way, a similar person coming from the other side of the gulf - She'd rather be alone than bend herself.
She sets the interface to some other language few of the bethany base staff get, she cuts off the communications... That we never see her in civilian garb is no less significant than it is with Kaworu or Rei.
- Even after cooperating with WILLE, she' still doesn't seem to have told them all she knows - Not because she's treacherous or anything, I don't think we need Saakamoto's interview to tell us that, because we've seen enough about what she thinks of life even without a cliched backstory montage, but because that's the way she is.

It's not "sillyness" or a joke, really. It's closer to dissonance, and that trait of hers was obvious from the moment she walzed into her first battle singing.
It's puts her on a fairly unusual place as far as talking to Shinji or seeing her situation goes.

I think ElMariachi is going to far with those postulations, but it's the right direction - she's notably the only one to go and customize her interface in some bright color.

It's a shame we didn't hear her talk to unit eight, althought everything she could have said would have obviously have been said long ago, given the timeskip (and there's a possibility that it might give away too much - for example, if Barrette Woman's soul is in there.), but... it may just be a consequence of her knowing the EVAs are alive and talking to them on the same terms she talks to everyone. ("Hello clone girl! Don't you wanna get out of here?")

Then there's the direction the timeskip took her in, aquiring the technical skills she lacked before (in a sense, there's this implication that her and Asuka learned from each other/took some of each other's attributes. Asuka got a badge on her hat and learnt how to control an EVA without half its limiters.)

As for Mari's nationality, at least the deleted scene sadamoto mentioned has her coming from "a distinguished english family" -(Im sure the welsh and scottish among you must be thrilled...)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:34 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Or maybe it's just her style, and she likes to move around along with the EVA to immerse herself in the experience.

I think it's mainly that, which is what I wanted to say : the others pilot an Eva like a weapon, Mari immerse herself with the Eva's senses to increase the experience, she tries to become her Eva as much as possible.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That we never see her in civilian garb is no less significant than it is with Kaworu or Rei.

We do see her in civilian garb :
[wkimg]File:2.22 Shinji-Mari-meeting.png[/wkimg]
Hell, that's her most iconic outfit! :tongue:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:49 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:We do see her in civilian garb :

That's still an uniform!

It has to be mentioned that Mari just shows such things more often than the others, for example, we can see in eps 11 and 5 that Rei tends to spread her arms abit when she's running - The same happens with Unit 00 when she races to catch Sahaquiel.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”