More Eva? (Recent news: "Rebuild" Newtype article)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:37 pm

Supposedly Anno had toyed with the idea of a sequel, so if might be a sequel to the series, meh.

How soon do you think it'll take ADV to liscense it, and if they do, think they'll hold it and release it close to the date of their Live Action movie, as a way of drumming up interest, or something like that?

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby bp32 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm

cat42 wrote:Supposedly Anno had toyed with the idea of a sequel, so if might be a sequel to the series, meh.

How soon do you think it'll take ADV to liscense it, and if they do, think they'll hold it and release it close to the date of their Live Action movie, as a way of drumming up interest, or something like that?

Jesus, there are going to be four of these things spaced out--if they don't release at least the first in a timely fashion they are, quite simply, douche-tastic.
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:58 pm

bp32 wrote:if they don't release at least the first in a timely fashion they are, quite simply, douche-tastic.

Ahem, this is ADV we're talking about...
(read expect at least another 4 boxsets out of this from them, maybe 7 once the live action movie is on DVD, if it's even made)

Still, thinking on it a bit, they'd probably release each within a year of the Japanese release. Maybe space the whole thing out over 3-4 years though. With the Mangle re-re-release of the movies, and another ADV re-re-re-re-(ad-nausiem)-release, both with in the next 2 years I'm sure, interest should be drummed up, I suppose.

Though, did airing the show on CN do anything for it? Or did only fans of the show watch it?

rei on your parade
Embryo

Postby rei on your parade » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Reichu wrote:Do they mean a sequel to the mid-series movie, or a sequel to the series?

Since this is not a remake and is an entirely new work, it's probably a sequel to the mid-series movie. Why do a sequel to the old series when they're in the middle of a new one, ya?

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm pretty sure the "final" is ALSO relative to the 2nd and 3rd movies, for the reason that "no knowledge of the original series will be required." This rules out the possibility of a post-3I movie (thank God).

However, this probably means that the only characters we could see again are Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Yui, and Naoko (in the prequel). I don't see how they could put those mid-series movies in and not require an introduction of Shinji and co.

Rensetsu
Embryo

Postby Rensetsu » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:43 pm

Darius wrote:
Rensetsu wrote: You know, you all could just teach me Japanese and I could tell you about it after you fund me to head out there

Well...i'm learning it..but I dont know it..and there are probably lots of people on the forums who dont know how to speak Japanese.

On a side note...I'm learning it cuz I like the labguage and culture....not cuz of anime...lol...Although it does help =D

Anyway's...Ya, I wouldn't want to wait. But if we have to, then we have to..

Wait.........this anime language can actually be used in real life :shock: SWEET

All jokes aside, you can make a pretty penny just being able to translate English/Japanese. Free trip to Japan for a year via JET program anyone?

the3rdchildren
Adam

Postby the3rdchildren » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:33 pm

It's so far away. New Evangelion and it won't be here for almost a year. :(

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:37 pm

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto agreed to come back on as character designer?

Well, I guess that means that the manga's never going to be finished...

All things considered, though, this is pretty awesome news. It's going to be interesting to see if they can dovetail this with the live-action movie somehow.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Shin-seiki » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:52 pm

http://www.animenation.net/forums/showpost.php?p=5906640&postcount=129
Schedule
1st (90 min) May, 2007?
2nd (90) Feb,2008
3rd, Last (45×2) May,2008

This sound like three full-length movies, with #3 and #4 being two halves of one release (sorta like Air/Magokoro kimi ni)

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:01 pm

Perhaps Anno decided that a project born (and evident) of his once foggy despair serving as his, as well as one of the medium's, flagship epics was too much of a general downer even in spite of this being one of the series' most compelling selling points, and, rather than tarnish the original work by declaring "improvement" ala George "NOOOO!!!" Lucas, chose to compliment the Universe of Evangelion in order to make it reflect a somewhat lighter, more palatable mindset (and one whose understanding has a little less to do with studious allegiance).

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 pm

I hope they don't dumb it down too much, the fact that eva is confusing is one of the things I like the most about the series.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

rei on your parade
Embryo

Postby rei on your parade » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:17 am

I wouldn't mind if they're just getting rid of the Pribnow Box and all that other tech gibberish...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:34 am

With regard to the new tidbit... I think the translations we're seeing of the installment designations might be misleading. They literally mean 'front part' ("part" as of a book), 'middle part', 'latter part', and 'conclusion part'. So one might think of the collective Shingekijouban as being divided into three acts, topped with a 'conclusion'. 'Front part' (zenpen) and 'latter part' (kouhen) can mean "prequel" and "sequel", except what they're sandwiching isn't the original series, but the 2nd "Rebuild" (chuuhen). Well, time will tell what the contents actually are...

I do want an actual prequel story with all my heart and soul... but didn't the 'scoop' say that "the time base of the story is the same as the original TV series"?

And shameless crossposting: Since Sadamoto is returning, I really hope he isn't going to impose any of the design quirks in the manga (Yui, Kaworu, etc.) onto returning characters. Consistency with the style used in the NPCs and EoE would be nice.

And since we have Yamashita-san on board once again: FOR THE LOVE OF YUI-SAMA, THE EVAS BETTER LOOK LIKE EVAS!!! I.e., no goddam Man In Suit Syndrome.

I also hope like mad that they simply expand upon the preexisting universe and story instead of needlessly changing it, since there is so much left untold. The CI actually seems like a teaser, in many ways, for things that could potentially be elaborated upon in the new films. The fangirl in me is lusting for a take on the story that provides a more 'behind-the-scenes' angle, "the NGE you didn't see". I'm kind of sick of the "younger crowd" -- I'd rather enjoy having, say, Gendo as our anti-hero instead. He'd be a good one.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:35 am

drinian wrote:Yoshiyuki Sadamoto agreed to come back on as character designer?

Well, I guess that means that the manga's never going to be finished...

Let's just hope he doesnt decide to do a manga based on the four new films. We could be waiting forever.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:47 am

Reichu wrote:I'd rather enjoy having, say, Gendo as our anti-hero instead. He'd be a good one.

And Akira-san as our kind-hearted, cool and VERY bishounen best friend who was betrayed and abandoned in Antartica?
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

reagen
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby reagen » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:58 am

An 'All-New' Evangelion story? Hmm, sounds good!! I'm excited, alright!! You guys think they're gonna make any characters different?
She Smell Like Angels Ought To Smell
The Perfect Woman, The Goddess...
Worth Killing For, Worth Dying For, Worth Going To Hell For....
------------------------------------------------------
I Can Only Love One Woman,
No Matter The Day, No Matter The Era
That Will Not Change...

CryoDragoon
Embryo

Postby CryoDragoon » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:17 am

i find that NGE's finished...

so as long as it's an all new story, and not a continuation of the original NGE, and a stand-alone series... it's OK with me...

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby ice reaper » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:12 am

i hope ADV *gasp* get their shit together and get a 'good' dub and sub release out pronto. going to a Japanese cinema would be....awkward. especially without subtitles.

all in all: very excited.

and gendo would be a cool protagonist.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:15 am

So it's confirmed now! These are exciting news!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”