Which felt more "Eva" to you? Eva 2.22 or 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:28 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:If i liked 2.22 more than Q, does that mean I don't deserve to be here? :lol:

Yes. Get out.

SPOILER: Show
In all seriousness, my appreciation for Ha skyrocketed because of Q. I almost love it as much as I love Q. Jo is meh for me.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Of course, all 3 rebuild films so far aren't exactly like the original series and EoE. 1.11 had many things from the original, only shorter and a few twists to change the story. 2.22: whoa, too much pacing there. Animation, action, and music might have a big upgrade, but the changes Anno made to the story and characters (along with adding Mari) are just... it could've been a 2-part film at the very least to allow better pacing to match the flow of 7-19's structure!
But then 3.33 came along and... :uhh: wow. I do appreciate the big change to the story overall instead of copying the EoE route, but it becomes a mixture of good things (like Kaworu's Character) and bad things (unlikeable Misato). Though at the very least, 3.33 did feel like the ol' Evangelion I used to know, but not entirely.

If i liked 2.22 more than Q, does that mean I don't deserve to be here?

We might as well kick out the majority of the forum members, cause trust me, you aren't the only one agreeing with this.

Evafan01
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan01 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Personally, Eva 2.22 is the best cinimatic experience I have had; taking the emotionally destrubing Evangelion characters and themes and transforming them into a happier and my "lovely tone" (note; I proudly read the Angelic day manga so that is why I liked the "Love is in the air" tone).

None the Less, 3.33 did feel more Evangelion to an extent. Emphasis on the extent part of that sentence; as NGE focused on the desruction of the characters and the notion of, "what is the point of going on anymore/", 3.33 focuses on the notion of, "Keep going" (opposite of EoE).

Shinji screams to allow Misato to let him into the EVA when he wakes up, he follows Karowu into EVA13 to fix his mistakes, he fights Asuka in order to do what he wants to do (and there is also the "LAZY GUNDAM ENDING" to 2.22 ~DemolitionD+).. It is different, and nether film feels like NGE to say, because this is not NGE, this a "Rebuild".

Rather it actually be a rebuilt universe from the remants of the Rei-Lilith "God", in order to bring Shinji a world where he could happy, from the end of EoE; or rather this is just a fancy word for "sequel"; this is different in every shape and form (for better or worse).

In sort, the rebuild doesn't feel like NGE but they still are great (their like the Hobbit and LotR)
I love Evangelion; that's way I am here...

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Both felt equally like Eva, 2.22 felt like the teens episodes while Q was just longer 24, they just came with more shipperfag pandering.

Lord ikari shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lord ikari shinji » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:45 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:To be honest, neither.

2.22 felt too shounen, 3.33 felt too gundam.

so agree bro( I hate shounen jump so much)
lord Ikari solo's all less-er beings
----------------------------------------
MY OTP:
~hardcore Shinji/Asuka shipper`
-LAS 4 life-

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:25 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Both felt equally like Eva, 2.22 felt like the teens episodes while Q was just longer 24, they just came with more shipperfag pandering.

At first I was like, "Keifer Sutherland?" before I understood.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Both felt equally like Eva, 2.22 felt like the teens episodes while Q was just longer 24, they just came with more shipperfag pandering.

I would rather say that 2.0 is the action and beginning of the descent arc all rolled up into one, with more insistence on the action and fanservice part(including the last scene of Shinji going Gurren Lagan on Zeruel) while 3.0 is the bitter arc and EoE into one movie :

- he loses Rei, and think that she's safe, but it's actually a clone, like in episode 23 of NGE,
- he meet Kaworu and immediately becomes friend with him, like in episode 24
- he loses everyone who was dear to him, leaving him an mental wreck(Rei cloned, Misato obsessed by her revenge and Asuka in a coma in NGE, Rei still cloned and Misato and Asuka as well as everyone he know that isn't dead or his father joined WILLE and turned their back on him)
- he loses his mind and throw a cosmic tantrum that ends with an Impact(Instrumentality when Asuka rejected him in EoE vs Fourth Impact whe he pulled out the spears in 3.0)
- the last person he cared for dies in front of him, which finishes to utterly destroy him(Asuka dying at the end of the Harpies in EoE vs Kaworu's death by the DSS Choker in 3.0)

The main difference is that in 3.0 the good guys manage to stop Instrumentality, so unlike EoE, the story doesn't end here.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I would rather say that 2.0 is the action and beginning of the descent arc all rolled up into one, with more insistence on the action and fanservice part(including the last scene of Shinji going Gurren Lagan on Zeruel) while 3.0 is the bitter arc and EoE into one movie

I don't think Q is in EoE territory just yet. I count Q as a poorly remade part of the descent arc - and the arc will finish sometime in Final. Partly what ruined Q for me is that the only one who was deteriorating in mental state was Shinji, ReiQ was just confused. Whereas in the descent arc in NGE ritsuko, Misato, Shinji, and Asuka are all slowly going psycho. That mass psychosis had a huge effect on the plot of EoE and magnified its impact. If Shinji's the only one freaking out, I don't think Final will have much of a snowball's chance in hell of being quite as good.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:48 pm

While i semi-agree with you on Q not reaching EoE's turf yet, i personally didn't find it's descent execution poorly made. I actually hold to the belief that it's pretty effective in it's own right, especially given how one of (if not) Rebuild's biggest keys in it's narrative is expressing Shinji's storyline and what happens around him. That also includes the obvious intention on Q being a Shinji-centric film after all.
Last edited by WunderBah on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Just to shake things up a little bit, is it really all that important that NME feel like the old Eva that we all know and love? Why does it need to be similar? I don't see anything wrong with the new movies taking their own track off into god knows where.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 am

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Partly what ruined Q for me is that the only one who was deteriorating in mental state was Shinji, ReiQ was just confused. Whereas in the descent arc in NGE ritsuko, Misato, Shinji, and Asuka are all slowly going psycho. That mass psychosis had a huge effect on the plot of EoE and magnified its impact.

That was a problem that obligatory come with the time skip : time heals all wounds, it's probable that seeing the world go to shit and his surrogate son having a part in it and absorbed inside a giant abomination took its toll on Misato, as well as awakening in a Tojyo-3 reduced to ashes, an with an angelic infection in the eye and the guy indirectly responsible for it absorbed inside his Eva and thus out of reach probably shook her greatly.

But they had 14 years to recover from it, while Shinji just entered in the mental meat-grinder. I'm sure that immediate post-N3I Misato and Asuka were not pleasant people to be around and were in a state not pretty to see, and even 14 years later they still didn't totally recovered(see Misato's coldness and Asuka's perpetual anger), but at least they had the time to become functional people again, and most importantly had people around them to help : Misato has Ritsuko as well as her responsibility toward WILLE which keep her going, while I'm sure that Mari helped a lot Asuka by being at her side for the past years.

It's perfectly possible that, if we see Shinji recover in FINAL, it will simply be his version of what happened to Misato and Asuka offscreen during the time skip. Well for that he'll first need someone to help him, since the previous one got his head plastered on the walls(and wasn't that healthy to begin with : "sure Shinji-kun, let's go solo to save the world, and if those pricks of WILLE interfere, we'll beat them too!")
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:48 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Just to shake things up a little bit, is it really all that important that NME feel like the old Eva that we all know and love? Why does it need to be similar? I don't see anything wrong with the new movies taking their own track off into god knows where.

You're right, Rebuild doesn't have to feel like NGE. But if Rebuild doesn't feel like NGE or do its own thing and be unique and excellent in some way, it'll dilute the franchise and they may as well have called it something else.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:22 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:You're right, Rebuild doesn't have to feel like NGE. But if Rebuild doesn't feel like NGE or do its own thing and be unique and excellent in some way, it'll dilute the franchise and they may as well have called it something else.

Yes, it's called Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition.

^_^

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 pm

I think it's hard to argue that Q isn't doing its own thing.

Veoren
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Veoren » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:15 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:MY FEELS ARE IRRELEVANT

If it has a khara stamp on it it's Eva

SPOILER: Show

Is this a real ad?

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Yep. There's plenty more like it. Do some searching on the official Eva store some time.

Pen-Pen02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pen-Pen02 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:19 am

1.0: I don't know why but I really missed the old design from original Evangelion . I didn't like the character designs, because the more prepared they were, the less they seemed nice.

2.0: To be honest, I didn't like it at all. When I just saw it I thought: WTF is this? Anno... What did you do With EVA? What did you do with Asuka? Is Asuka almost a depressing girl without Soryu's energy? Are Asuka and Rei cooking for Shinji and fighting for him? Poka Poka Rei? Really? Anno, you could do it better, please. Honestly, at that time I thought that some fanfics written by other fans were better that the film I was seeing , I just couldn't believe it... and that new character in pink... what was she doing with Nigoki? what was her role in all this? C'mon Anno! Give EVA...back to me! XD

3.0: Well, what can I say? I REALLY REALLY loved it! I think Anno thought better about the history in 2.0 and finally realized that the story was not going to any place and tried again to move his boat to something like "original EVA spirit" and in truth I was not disappointed (Also, I loved animation in here, it was so great) Sure, it's not a perfect story, but he opened a new ground in the history and, from here, you can expect everything. Especially since Anno leaves open the possibility that Shinji once and for all decides to switch, and if in this case it does so without the help of his mother Yui and just using their own means would be great. This is the film that opens the possibility of "hope" for Shinji , where even though the world is destroyed, he only can change things if he chooses to do it. A depressing story? Yes, but full of hope, well I think so.

This is just my own opinion, don't hate me XD
I just wanna a happy end for Asuka

I only speak Spanish. Sorry for grammatical mistakes in my posts...

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 am

With 2.22 I was in known evangelion territory in terms of story and character development. I can't find that in 3.33. It's a movie in which character development is at its poorest level and I still struggle to understand in which way that movie moves the story forward in an interesting and useful way.

So I would go with 2.22 being more faithful to what Evangelion is.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 am

3.33 wouldn't work/be effective with it's intent on confusion with having the audience be in Shinji's shoes if character development was included. Poor or not.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:32 am

In This Thread... we see how widely divergent people's ideas are of what constitutes Eva...

For my money, the change in character of the films pretty much matches the change in character between the early and later parts of the series, so the films are equally Eva-like in their different ways.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”