Which felt more "Eva" to you? Eva 2.22 or 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Which felt more "Eva" to you? Eva 2.22 or 3.33?

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Like, in terms of atmosphere, theme, intensity, etc? Generally most of things that reminds you of the "Evangelion" of old in the sense of feeling.

I sometimes felt the need to ask this question, due to how both films have fascinated me in different ways.

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 pm

To be honest, neither.

2.22 felt too shounen, 3.33 felt too gundam.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm

The feeling of seeing something and not understand anything makes me wonder what people felt when NGE was aired for the first time.
It is the feeling of 1995-1996 back! :shifty:
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Neither one of them really reminded me of the way I felt when I watched NGE. They're both too different. 2.22 was really its own thing, while 3.33 is so alien that it just broke away from the mold entirely.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:01 pm

I thought 2.0's atmosphere was too different for me before I watched 3.0.

Now that 3.0 is out I desperately wished they kept whatever original story they had from the Next Time Preview. Everything is just too different for me.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:11 pm

MY FEELS ARE IRRELEVANT

If it has a khara stamp on it it's Eva

SPOILER: Show
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:21 pm

TB that pic made me Lulz especially Gendo. Nicely done sir, nicely done.

Back on topic: I don't think its quite possible to replicate the mystical aura that NGE had with as much information we now know about the background material.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 pm

2.22 felt more like eva inthe sense that most main events from teh plot were directly lifted from the series.

3.33 felt more like eva because of shit hitting the fan in epic proportions and Shinji being broken down bit by bit.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 pm

I love and prefer 2.22, but 3.33 is the more "Eva" of the two by far. 2.22 is more like "Eva Lite" whereas 3.33 is pure, unadulterated Evangelion.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:46 pm

1.0 doesn't even feel the same to me. The subtle changes make a big difference. The first half of 2.22 felt like what I imagined Eva to be from seeing fanart and hearing vague details about the plot before I saw the series. The second half of 2.0 felt like having my heart ripped out and shat upon and lit on fire by deranged hell imps because they hurt my Asuka but then I felt better because she was a pirate. Oh and Shinji got mad.

Then she was not a pirate.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 pm

For me, the second half of 3.0 felt exactly like NGE/EoE's Bitter End Arc. It was like rewatching NGE/EoE for the first time all over again.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:57 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:For me, the second half of 3.0 felt exactly like NGE/EoE's Bitter End Arc. It was like rewatching NGE/EoE for the first time all over again.

+1

What SSD said. Also, my intial reaction to Ha, specifically the ending was "Oh, shit!" while the results we see in Q as a consequence of what happened in the former was like "OH, SNAP!".

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:18 am

I think Ha and Q are just as "Eva". They're two halves of a whole and embody different aspects of Evangelion, that's all. Eva always had as much relatively light moments with a more SoL and action style and happier sense to it as it had really out there narrative structure and oniric sense to it.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 am

Eva that doesn't have Old Robocop bitching about budgets is not the true Eva.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:37 am

1st half of the show, 2.22. The second half, 3.33, kinda (mostly because of the last few eps).

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:30 am

In agreement with Dream. Both are two parts of a greater whole, though I definitely favour Q personally - As it breaks new ground for the IP whilst still being quintessential Evangelion.

Also, a minor irksome addition when referring to the movies in general; 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 will do. 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 refer to the updated home BD and DVD release versions specifically. It's like going around talking about Blade Runner: The Final Cut or Apocalypse Now Redux.

:nyao:

Just sayin'.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:49 am

Just as a note, I find it interesting we're defining Eva as a whole trough EoE, excluding all of the fun action-romp toned episodes like Ep. 8 or 9 that Ha brought back to the screen. But, yes. Q reminded me a lot of the raw emotional experience that EoE provided.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Just as a note, I find it interesting we're defining Eva as a whole trough EoE, excluding all of the fun action-romp toned episodes

That's because lots of series have fun parts - it's the other parts of Eva that make it unique, and so define its distinctive character.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Just as a note, I find it interesting we're defining Eva as a whole trough EoE, excluding all of the fun action-romp toned episodes like Ep. 8 or 9 that Ha brought back to the screen. But, yes. Q reminded me a lot of the raw emotional experience that EoE provided.

Unfortunately it was short-lived, just like in NGE.

:sniffle:

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 am

3.33 without a second thought. Or a first for that matter

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”