1.0 and 2.0 versions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

1.0 and 2.0 versions

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Is it completely impossible to watch these first versions of the films? It's a shame that they weren't included in the BDs. I know there aren't many changes, but still, I really want to watch them myself, and wouldn't it be sad if these first versions got lost forever?
I'm searching in the internet but I don't find them. Is there any possibility? :sniffle:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm

It's impossible to watch the 2.0 one since they never released one and went straight to 2.22. You can probably find the 1.01 one though somewhere on the internet which is pretty much the same thing.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Yes, I know about 1.01, there are almost no changes. But is it really impossible to get 1.0 and 2.0? No camrip, no official release? Lost forever?
Thanks for the response.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Not lost. Discarded.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Isn't that the same?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Both 1.0 and 2.0 versions in a vault somewhere. Several places, most likely. Khara releases those versions to theaters and gives copies of it to companies like Funimation for their theatrical releases. After that, everyone's licensed only to release the 1.11 and 2.22 versions on home release. (1.01 was a special case, but even then it's not 1.0.)

So, they're not "lost." That would imply no one knows where those copies are. (Like GIANAX truly lost Episode 16 negatives. They can't find them and were most likely accidentally destroyed somehow.) In this case, these companies know where they are, they just aren't allowed or willing to release them on DVD and BD.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 pm

So they aren't lost, but there is no way we can have them.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:45 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:So they aren't lost, but there is no way we can have them.

I'm not sure why you would want them. The 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 are finalized versions of the film, the theatrical cuts just some inferior in comparison.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 pm

It could be viewed the same way that some people view George Lucas changing up the Star Wars movies. In the case of that saga, I believe that the original, unedited versions are superior to the redone things.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It could be viewed the same way that some people view George Lucas changing up the Star Wars movies.

SPOILER: Show
Greedo shot first.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Having the original versions would be cool to have in my collection, but I probably would never watch them. Heck, I never saw 1.01 after 1.11 came out. I really doubt 1.0 or 2.0 would make a difference in my viewing experience.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't think they are superior or inferior (it's not like Hayden Christensen shows up in 2.22 :lol: ), it's just that some differences, that aren't pointed out in the Eva Wiki, are interesting. For example, I read a thread some days ago (I don't remember which one it was, I don't even know if it was old or new), and some pages from the 2.0 CRC were posted. The thing is, in the aquarium scene, Asuka's mouth was drawn differently, in a comical way, like in Doraemon. Don't really know how to describe it.
Another user (I think it was Kendrix, so if the thread is new, maybe she remembers) pointed out that Asuka's breasts were larger in 2.0 (in the aquarium scene). Somewhere else I've read that Misato had a more comical face in the caffeteria scene with Kaji. All these things seem to indicate that 2.0 had more silliness and fan service, and Anno decided to change that (maybe because the contrast to the second half was too big?).
This gives us insight in the making of the Rebuild, and that's why I would like to see these changes myself and look for others.

EDIT: I'm still waiting for the day Lucas decides to make a new version of that scene, with nobody shooting and Greedo just dying from a heart attack.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:59 pm

You have to see the 2.22. 2.0 can't capture Mari's ass as it was meant to be seen, it had to be enhanced.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You have to see the 2.22. 2.0 can't capture Mari's ass as it was meant to be seen, it had to be enhanced.

It's the reason blu-ray technology was invented. :lol:

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 am

There was a release of 1.0 (however I am unsure if it is the original). It only has english subs, and a few scenes are missing. If I remember it was distributed by Rialto/Red Ant or something like that.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:56 am

I could survive not seeing 1.0, but 2.0 has the new material, and thus more changes. :sniffle:
It seems it is impossible.
(OK, I want both.)
Thanks for the response. What a strange release. Missing scenes, that can't be official.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 pm

No problem. However, by missing scenes I mean scenes that were in 1.01 and onward. Not so sure on the exact ones. There is probably a list of changes between the releases on the forum somewhere.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:50 pm

You can probably find the camrip for 2.0 floating around out there still. I prefer the audio mix in that version. Also, it has the old rape face when Shinji is pulling the skin off Zeruel's core. Much better than 'generic action man'.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”