Evangelion 3.0 - You Can (Not) Rebottle Lightning?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:49 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, it's not like ending of the original TV series was love and adored by fans upon its initial release. (There wouldn't be so much hate mail or pictures of GAINAX graffiti in The End of Evangelion if it was met with more positive opinions.) The original TV series was conventional "lightning in a bottle" in the sense that everyone loved it for about 12 or 13 episodes.

You gotta be kidding. It was popular to the end, and it was the *last* episode that won the Anime Grand Prix.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:These newer films might take on that same path. The first half drew in a huge crowd due to a sense of instant gratification with its action set pieces and stunning animation, and the last half will be more of an acquired taste for people who feel that they can handle the truth about these new Eva films.

Q broke box office records. If the above were true we'd be seeing fewer people watching the movies, not more.

SatoshiKonFan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SatoshiKonFan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:15 pm

I love the final two episodes of the series. The final ep is a bold, meta, ballsy and quite mad. Like the whole series really. I always thought it was also a commentary on the particular kind of obsessive who is plugged into his own world (a walkman here) rather than actually experiencing life.

Whether you should end a mecha series in this fashion is up for debate, but it' still impressive.

A flatmate of mine vehemently disagreed with this and I had to put him in front of End of Evangelion to prevent him bursting a blood vessel.

But, Eva 3.0 seems more like treading water than actually progressing the story. I can't wait for Eva 4.0; one to see it and two to get it over and done with if it ultimately all disappears up its own Impact.
Is it real or is it anime?

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:Q broke box office records. If the above were true we'd be seeing fewer people watching the movies, not more.

Q may have done well in theaters but it didn't break any records with its home video release. The box office sales was just from hype buildup. If fans saw 3.0 before it was released in theaters, the box office wouldn't have done so well.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Q may have done well in theaters but it didn't break any records with its home video release. The box office sales was just from hype buildup. If fans saw 3.0 before it was released in theaters, the box office wouldn't have done so well.

If any movie were to be seen by the entire population before it was released in theatres, the box office wouldn't have done well. The difference in the box office between Q and 2.0 was that people went to see Q multiple times, almost everyone did.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:09 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Q may have done well in theaters but it didn't break any records with its home video release.

It has done extremely well in theatres and despite the home media sales still lagging a little behind 2.0 it's still the best selling BD of the year so far. It sold more than the next 5 entries in the top 10 combined.

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201308/13/33519.html
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Deva Victrix
Adam

Re: Evangelion 3.0 - You Can (Not) Rebottle Lightning?

•      
  •      

Postby Deva Victrix » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:09 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Worried? That boat sailed long ago.

lel, oh man

Mari is a terrible character, but I don't think she's Jar-Jar levels terrible.

Unless she takes up smoking weed and being even more useless than usual and plaits her hair in dreadlocks. :hahaha:
THINGS AND STUFF.

Avatar: Werewolf Asuka(THE BEST Asuka.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”