Who Re-armoured Eva-01, and when? [Split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Who Re-armoured Eva-01, and when? [Split]

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:22 am

[Split from "[3.33] Things you noticed". --OMF ]

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I think that EVA-01 is continuously radiating that weird energy that turns everything to core, but when its dormant the radiation is on a low enough level that EVA-02 could work around it with the protection of its AT Field(meaning that standard crew must use special protective gear or unmanned machinery).

Certainly, when it was encased in the satellite, Eva-01 can be seen encased in core. We actually see this effect in action when Eva-13 begins to "pseudo-evolve", growing rock-like stub wings, similar to those seen on the Failure of Infinity.

But the problem here is that Eva-01 appears to have been rearmoured and worked on by Wille prior to being placed in the main engine. Moreover, Shinji himself has been removed. However, given that Eva-08's hands begin to turn to core when touching Eva-13, perhaps there was a similar effect at work in Eva-01, at least when Shinji is inside. Perhaps Eva-01, as a lesser trigger, exhibits similar effects to Eva-13 but at a slower of less powerful rate.
Last edited by ObsessiveMathsFreak on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 am

Well, we don't know who rearmored EVA-01, could have been NERV while it was still speared(with an hole in the armor were the spear was still embedded of course)

But if it was WILLE who did it(why?), remember that they had means transport the dormant Unit 01 from the tesseract crash site to the Wunder fleet, and from here inside that giant armored pod, and that using EVA-02 to install the ignitor was just an emergency procedure because wanted the Wunder ready to fly ASAP to destroy the NS.

That means that WILLE had machinery to safely manipulate EVA-01 while it's on a dormant sate, so from here armoring it wouldn't be that problematic, the question being why would they take the time, effort, risk and resources to replace the armor if it's only to use it as a giant battery encased inside a giant armored pod?

Could it be that EVA-01 magically regrew its lost armor like it did in 1.0 when it regenerated its left arm, fabric of the "suit" included, against Sachiel? Hey, now its basically a god, that wouldn't be that far fetched!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:16 am

Uh, guys, why are we talking about Eva-01 being "re-armored" when we clearly saw that it had its bindings on as soon as it was hit with the Spear of Cassius? They show a close-up of it in the preview at the end of 2.0, and you can even see it to some degree in the post-credits scene. There's no reason to believe that particular detail was changed.

SPOILER: Show
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 am

^
Looks like Anno really loves to put similar scenes between the rebuild movies, someone made a comment that we should make a topic about that, there was already the images of Shinji crawling with his Eva toward is goal in the climax of every movie(to fetch the positron cannon to finish off Ramiel in 1.0, to reach Rei inside Zeruel's core in 2.0 and to climb Lilith's corpse to take the spears in 3.0), or the fact that he always get impaled simultaneously twice in the torso in every film(By Shamshell in 1.0, Zeruel in 2.0 and EVA-13/Kaworu with the spears in 3.0)
Now that make a third parallelism.

@ riffraff11235 : No, we are talking about the pectoral armor which exploded in 2.0 when EVA-01 began N3I :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1792 core.jpg[/wkimg]

And in the <2next time preview" shot of EVA-01 impaled, you can see that the pectoral armor is still torn off :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 jikai C01 comp.jpg[/wkimg]

It's very difficult to see, you have to open the image in another tab and zoom so you can see the grayish area in the torso.

In the storyboard of that scene it's very clearly shown that Unit 01 still doesn't have the pectoral armor.

Yet 14 years later :
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C0202 Misato Eva-01 screen.jpg[/wkimg]

You can see that EVA-01 has its pectoral armor back(look at the two round things that are characteristics of its armor)

So between that last shot of EVA-01 14 years ago in the preview and the moment it was installed inside the Wunder's main engine, someone rearmored it, or it grew back its armor thanks to some godly power it might possesses since its awakening.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:03 pm

They probably slapped the bindings back on it just to make people feel better about having the giant apocalyptic god monster on board.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:27 pm

That would mean that WILLE kept in a hangar the bindings for EVA-01 during the past 14 years!

I doubt that they wanted anything to do with it anymore if it wasn't for the fact that they needed a battery for their flagship.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Keep in mind that we don't know exactly when Wille was formed; perhaps they were only storing fresh bindings for a couple of years.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:47 pm

True that...

Damned we need to know more about what happened during the time skip, there is so much material for an awesome story! :tantrum:

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Unit-01 could also have been patched up by NERV before being blasted into orbit.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:19 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's very difficult to see, you have to open the image in another tab and zoom so you can see the grayish area in the torso.

The lower torso sections are fine but if you fiddle with the gamma and contrast you can see the chest is clearly torn up and the armor is gone.

This is clearly a missed opportunity for a nipple shot.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well, we don't know who rearmored EVA-01, could have been NERV while it was still speared(with an hole in the armor were the spear was still embedded of course)

Good point. But while we're at it, why assume that the spear was still embedded at all. It is more likely that Nerv eventually removed the spear -- if indeed this is one of the spears seen stuck in Lilith. I wonder about the possible sequence of events here. We could have:

Nerv re-armours Eva-01 -- Nerv removes spear -- Nerv sends Eva-01 into orbit
Nerv removes spear -- Nerv re-armours Eva-01 -- Nerv sends Eva-01 into orbit
Nerv removes spear -- Nerv sends Eva-01 into orbit -- Wille re-armours Eva-01

Or many variations thereof. This also raises the question of how the spear could be safely removed from Eva-01 in the first place. Wouldn't N3I start up again if it was? (Have we discussed this before?)

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Wouldn't N3I start up again if it was?

That's what might have happened, and might have caused Nerv/Seele to exile it in space. It necessarily had a role during third impact since all FOIs look like unit-01. But it could also be because of its link with Lilith.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:52 pm

But re-starting N3I would tend to put the brakes on any re-armouring. Or a satellite launch come to think of it. So, could Nerv have launched Eva-01 into orbit before removing the spear?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:But re-starting N3I would tend to put the brakes on any re-armouring. Or a satellite launch come to think of it. So, could Nerv have launched Eva-01 into orbit before removing the spear?

If I may, Eva Unit 01 is in an oddly shaped container for there not to be a spear in its chest during its "hibernation" in space. I think the cross shape it to support arms (the default position for Eva transpiration seems to be the crucifix) while the extra cross-arms that run perpendicular in the container might help house the spear still lodged in its chest.

I think so, anyway  SPOILER: Show
So Wille might have taken it out themselves. Unless it dissolved into LCL or Core or whatever while it was in space or something.

EDIT: The spear might not look like it fits in there, but of 3.0 taught us anything it's that these things can change size and shape for various untold reasons.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I don't think the spear is in the tessarect by the time Wille is retrieving it simply because how can Eva-01 eyebeam the nemesis series while still speared?

Wouldn't make any sense for the spear to be powerful enough to stop an impact and put the Eva to sleep but still let it wake up when it pleases.

I think by the time Eva-01 is in space it's sleeping of its own will.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Remember that one of the "side boxes" is actually hollow, and serves as a trap which release a Nemesis Series to destroy any intruder who happens to land on the tesseract.

Beside a spear, whether a Cassius or a Longinus type, is almost as tall as an Evangelion, seeing that the Spear of Cassius impaled EVA-01 on an almost perpendicular angle :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1857 speared.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1862.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 jikai C01 comp.jpg[/wkimg]

There is now way it can fit with EVA-01 in that tesseract.

And finally and most importantly, if the Spear of Cassius was still impaling EVA-01, completely freezing it, then why would had NERV sent it to space, and more importantly how would had Shinji been able to awake it to save Asuka with the eyebeams?

Everything points that EVA-01 is alone inside that giant floating coffin and that the Spear of Cassius has been removed and used elsewhere, probably to freeze Lilith and the 12th Angel, Kaworu did say that the spear metamorphosed into the same type that the other, not that it was swapped with a Longinus.
Since Kaworu seems to be the resident expert on everything Impact and FAR(or their equivalent) technology, if he said that the spears metamorphosed into another type, it means that the Spear of Cassius at least clearly had the capacity to transform itself into another type.

EDIT : TMBounty_Hunter beat me to the punch! :tongue:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Well, like I said, it might have dissolved or something. But I also realize this is a stretch, so I'm not gonna die on this hill. I just find it odd and coincidental that the containment for Unit 01 has extra space for something like that. But it wouldn't be the first time that the Eva franchise chose a shape simply based on its "coolness factor" either, so...

@ ElMariachi: Spears can change size and shape. We know this because it happened when Shinji removed the spears from Lilith's corpse. Again, I'm not gonna doggedly the idea that the spear is inside Unit 01 in space, I'm just spitting out ideas as they come. (It's about the best we can do will all of the weird stuff presented to us in Q.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Well personally I don't think that WILLE recuperated the LoC from the tesseract, Kaworu seemed really sure that it was used against the 12th Angel and Lilith, and if WILLE really had it, then why didn't they used it against EVA-13?
That was a perfect moment to use it!

And Asuka would have said it to Shinji that they have the good spear for whatever insane plan he had at that moment.

Besides, I think that learning that the spear Shinji so desperately needed to atone was into WILLE's hands all along would really be too assholish toward him, even coming from Anno! :tongue:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gurren12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gurren12 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Most likely the spear was removed and unit 1 was rearmored(including a shoulder pylon for its left stub) before it was put in space.

Personally I'd want the LoC in my hands and unit ones restraints at least partially replaced before I fired the thing into low earth orbit.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Question: Does anyone here honestly assume that Wille has some sort of giant scanner/x-ray device that scans/x-rays the entire body of the AAA Wunder simply so that Ritsuko has a series of recognizable images when looking at a 3-D schematic on a computer screen? Or, could it be that it's all just a series of easily recognizable images and/or icons for the sake of designating areas on a map?

Because, if the latter is true, that means we still haven't seen Unit 01 in Q, but rather we merely saw an icon designated by a computer programmer so Ritsuko can easily recognize the object and its location on the ship. (The only part of Unit 01 we physically saw was its naked eye in the opening 6 minutes, which does not match the visual projected in the computer's schematic.) Therefore, Unit 01 can look like whatever Anno wants it to look like for its official Post-N3I unveiling in FINAL.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”