Why "3rd Angel" now = "4th Angel"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rahxephon
Embryo

Why "3rd Angel" now = "4th Angel"?

Postby Rahxephon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:54 am

[Topic title edited by me to be more clear and descriptive. Was simply "4th Angel". - Monk]

In the series, the first angel that shows up in ep 1 is called the third angel. 1. Adam 2. Lilith 3. Him (forgot name)... but in rebuild movie one when he shows up when Shinji first shows up in tokyo, fuyutski and gendo call him the 4th angel. Why the change?

Is it because 1. Adam 2. Lilith 3. Lilim?

Or did another angel we didnt get to see show up before that one in rebuild, as evidenced by the crime scene type body outline shown by the collapsed building (Tokyo 1 or 2?) at the VERY beginning?

Or did that body outline mean something else?

Also theres been lots of talk about the changing the core things, pilots can pilot any eva as long as their respective cores are changed out?

What I find interesting is that when Shinji sees 01 for the first time and says theres no way he can pilot it, and his father tells him hes useless and cant use the backup...

Ritsuko says " Switch Unit 01's Core unit to the L-00 type"

L-00 type? Lilith type?

any ideas?
Last edited by Rahxephon on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: 4th angel

Postby gchristnsn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 am

Probably, this may help: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Angels#List_of_Angels
A short guide to NGE

- Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones. - Occam's razor
- Since we can never know anything for sure, it is simply not worth searching for certainty; but it is well worth searching for truth; and we do this chiefly by searching for mistakes, so that we have to correct them. - Karl Popper

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 am

I wish this could have been a big mystery. I remember fanwanking like hell (albeit briefly, and not much) back when 1.x was out but not 2.0 yet.

Unfortunately, it wound up being barely a footnote. The Third Angel is seen right at the beginning of 2.x -- it's the one Mari fights.

Um, my temptation is to lock the thread now that the question has been answered but I'm going to wait a while first to see if any further discussion results from this (like further questions about the 3rd Angel or 4th Angel, I guess?) and if so I'll rename the topic or merge as needed, etc. But if there's nothing further (of substance) in like 10 or 12 hours I'll lock it as an answered question. The main reason I'm leaving it open is in honor of the original very broad title "4th Angel"; it wouldn't be right of me to lock a topic that on its face might seem to be about something broader than a single question if that's indeed the direction it heads.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rahxephon
Embryo

Postby Rahxephon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:40 am

Ok sounds good has the fact that they called Rei's core "L-00" been discussed?

Could this be a hint that the soul inside Rei's eva is what everyone thought? Liliths soul or an aspect of it?
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby gchristnsn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:57 am

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:Ok sounds good has the fact that they called Rei's core "L-00" been discussed?

Could this be a hint that the soul inside Rei's eva is what everyone thought? Liliths soul or an aspect of it?

There is a thread with quotes you may find interesting.

Personally, I think that the biggest hint on contents of 00's core is the moment from 2.0 when Unit 01 takes it out from Angel's core. Multiple Rei's heads were shown. This meas that the core may contain multiple copies of Rei's personality. The multiplicity may be a hint that a copy of personality may be used. Probably, copies are used widely in the rebuild. Unit-05 also should contain a copy of Mari's mother personality.
A short guide to NGE

- Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones. - Occam's razor
- Since we can never know anything for sure, it is simply not worth searching for certainty; but it is well worth searching for truth; and we do this chiefly by searching for mistakes, so that we have to correct them. - Karl Popper

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:01 pm

View Original Postgchristnsn wrote:There is a thread with quotes you may find interesting.

Personally, I think that the biggest hint on contents of 00's core is the moment from 2.0 when Unit 01 takes it out from Angel's core. Multiple Rei's heads were shown. This meas that the core may contain multiple copies of Rei's personality. The multiplicity may be a hint that a copy of personality may be used. Probably, copies are used widely in the rebuild. Unit-05 also should contain a copy of Mari's mother personality.

Possibly the multiple Rei heads from Unit-00's core may be linked to the gallery of severed Rei heads from Q- although those may have been created during the timeskip, and this really isn't the place for this discussion.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jurrasic » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:17 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Possibly the multiple Rei heads from Unit-00's core may be linked to the gallery of severed Rei heads from Q- although those may have been created during the timeskip, and this really isn't the place for this discussion.

I always thought that it was a simple callback to the ``Reiquarium`` With Rei acknowleging the fact that she is a clone, and she can be replaced by another if needed.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby gchristnsn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Possible. But if to assume that everything could be treated literally and in NGE Rei's personality also was in 00, presence of multiple Rei's personalities is also possible, although less possible in this key.
A short guide to NGE

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby K40s » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I find more interesting the chalk outline, to my knowledge it hasn't been explained yet... maybe it's just left overs from a battle between Eva-01 and the actual 3rd Angel? Maybe Rei piloted Eva-01 fought the 3rd Angel, ending in its capture, Rei being hurt and the chalk outline of where the 3rd angel or Eva-01 crashed?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:58 pm

:zer_sweatdrop: None of these have anything to do with the 4th Angel... And K40s's post above makes no sense to me in light of the fact that we already know who/what the 3rd Angel is.

You guys raised a lot of interesting things, but nearly each of them is worth a topic on their own, so, go do that. In the meantime, this topic has lost its purpose.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”