Rebuild: Controversial? [Split]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Rebuild: Controversial? [Split]

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:06 pm

[Split from here. - Monk]

View Original Postperipateia wrote:And Anno no longer seems to care for controversy.

I'd be surprised if Anno didn't think the timeskip would be anything BUT controversial.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:20 pm

^

Of course he knew...
He didn't cared... :lol:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:30 am

The time skip is the only thing about Eva that can be controversial when the restrictions were lifted for the entire NME series. NGE was "more controversial" by comparison, but only because it was contending with broadcast-friendly restrictions and censorship. People were asking "Can they do that in this show?" when scenes of partial nudity, prominent sexual tension, and garish violence presented themselves in NGE only because of the show's time slot, and not strictly because there were scenes of partial nudity, prominent sexual tension, or garish violence.

But if you make 4 movies that are free from any broadcast restrictions placed upon it, the question of "Can they do that in this movie?" isn't as shocking as it was with the show. The answer is "Of course they can do that; they're not playing back-to-back with the Ninja Turtles anymore. They can do anything they want." There are still scenes in NME where partial nudity, prominent sexual tension, and garish violence present themselves to the viewer, but it isn't as shocking only because it's not on TV when 6-year-olds are watching.

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 pm

[peripateia's first sentence here refers to conversation that was going on before the split. See the parent thread for better context. - Monk]

I realize that not every rebuild film can be produced in a year, or even 2 years, like EoE (especially if every rebuild film follows an apocalyptic theme..even apocalypses get boring after a while). I disagree on the comments regarding the controversy of Rebuild: I don't think it's controversial in the slightest! Partial/full nudity, Shogouki going nuts on Bardiel and Zeruel, and Kaworu's decapitation aren't shocking in the slightest to me.

Controversy in EoE (IMO) is the shock of Anno's subversive, damning message to his audiences, most of whom are anime fans. By placing a POV shot of Shinji's jerk-off in front of Asuka's breasts, he places viewers into the shoes of an autistic, suicidal pervert. He puts an entire live-action sequence to rudely interrupt the continuity of the film and to accuse the audience of using the film to escape from reality (also by associating the audience with Shinji: Rei's dialogue with Shinji is also a direct message to the audience). Shinji's problems are the problems of Anno's Japan: the 'protagonist' is a sick boy in need of an 'awakening' into reality. This is the kind of controversy Anno has thus far refused to give to his recent audiences.

Before I get flamed, let me just say that NGE and EoE are wonderful not because of controversy per se, but because they inspire conflicting interpretations. I haven't been able to appreciate this quality in rebuild yet, but that's another matter altogether.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Well, even with the original show EoE was the only aspect that was damning to Shinji, as the girl he couldn't choke told him how disgusting he was. EoTV was a bit more uplifting, with Shinji joyfully exclaiming to the world "I can live is this world!" and everyone applauded. In that sense it's not fair to take EoE's message and project it in the broadest general terms onto EoTV.

Also, in that case, NME could take either the uplifting ending from EoTV or the damning ending from EoE and still "stay true" to the original "controversy" of the TV series. (And, again, the only "controversy" about EoTV was purely in the aesthetics of how abstract the ending felt. You don't get any hard narrative controversy until Anno shifts tones for the EoE ending.)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Tangent about possible staff rebellion causing NME to diverge from NGE went here. In the off chance the tangent-spawning post really is relevant to this topic in a significant way I've reproduced it below:

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:It's worth noting that towards the end of the 2.0 production, the staff were almost in open rebellion demanding that the script introduce new material. I think that the time skip had more to do with Khara being bored recreating the original series.

...But, anyone looking to comment on that topic specifically should do so in the split-off thread.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”