New York Comic Con screening 3.0 on October 11th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm having such a fun time reading through all these con reports you linked.

Also, I find it utterly hilarious that Asuka's VA of all people ships Kawoshin~ XD

The German DVD will also be out in december; It will be interesting to compare the interpretations of both dub crews.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:10 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Being a little generous there, eh? :lol:

In the industry, we call that "padding".

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:In the industry, we call that "padding".

You gotta say "Hi," offer her a drink, talk about the character... it's like going out drinking, really.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:You gotta say "Hi," offer her a drink, talk about the character...

Well, in all seriousness, Brina Palencia deliberately knows nothing about Rei or Evangelion. McFarland specifically told her not to watch it.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:25 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Probably didn't even need a min for Ibuki. "Alright say I hate young men, and pick up your check" -o-;
I like that she turned into an AGGRESSIVE lesbian. A welcome change.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 am

The Dub's already made?! And it would be shown at that showing in Comic-con! ... that was quick. And now, to wait till early 2014 for its Blu-ray/DVD release (assuming that it would follow the earlier film's American releases)

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:16 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Well, in all seriousness, Brina Palencia deliberately knows nothing about Rei or Evangelion. McFarland specifically told her not to watch it.

Is that why Rei's dub is tuned 300% too much feelz from the original Japanese VA...? I know Rei is supposed to be more emotionally aware and expressive in the Rebuilds... But it was weird to see her in 2.0 to go from the Japanese inflections and tonality where the emotion is "surfacing" but still somewhat subdued to how she was practically overflowing with emotion in english (with a dash of melancholy)
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Is that why Rei's dub is tuned 300% too much feelz from the original Japanese VA...?

I don't know, but I thought Palencia's performance was a lot closer to what Hayashibara did in the original, at least compared to the series dub.

Most of the dubs seem to have gone with that typical "monotone soldier lady" voice, but I remember when I first took a look at the original version, I was surprised how Rei's voice was a lot different from AWL or Whathername, whoever did the original German version.

It never was that "emotionless" to begin with.

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:41 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It never was that "emotionless" to begin with.

Rei's shtick has always been that she experiences emotions but doesn't really know what they are/how to deal with them either through expression or repression. The audience is supposed to be hearing that through her minimal dialogues and actions.

So of course I agree that it wasn't supposed to be emotionless. But there's a continuum between whisper and screaming and I'm saying that I was surprised that her dub was leaning a tad too close to the loud end for my liking. Just a personal thing.

It's also not always about tone, volumn, and inflection - I thought that Rei's dialogue was always "less is more" when it came to how many words she spoke; kind of keeps up the mysterious factor. Watching the Big Z/Rei N2 bomb scene, as well as the aquarium fishies scene in Japanese and then in English (i watched the clips from Funimation on youtube) I thought she could have been a bit more concise to retain her overall demeanor while conveying that she's got emotions going on.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:46 pm

I wonder how well Spike is going to pull of Shinji in this movie....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:02 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Well, in all seriousness, Brina Palencia deliberately knows nothing about Rei or Evangelion. McFarland specifically told her not to watch it.

I once read some fan interview where the interviewer essentially spoiled for her with what happens in NGE ("In the original NGE, Rei is revealed to be the Angel Lilith...etc") :facepalm:

I think it's best she doesn't know what happens in NGE though, since NME is a different continuity anyway.

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I wonder how well Spike is going to pull of Shinji in this movie....

If I'm remembering right, he sounded rather subdued during his final EoE talk with Misato, so hopefully he can bring that back for the important parts of 3.0.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:08 pm

What I'm curious to see is Misato's VA performance, she has to dub the character who got through the most changes by Q, so that will be interesting to see how she will pull it off.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Toonsis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonsis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:37 pm

I've gotta say, my interest is extremely piqued to witness how well Misato's voice actress handles the seemingly drastic change her character has undergone.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What I'm curious to see is Misato's VA performance, she has to dub the character who got through the most changes by Q, so that will be interesting to see how she will pull it off.

Yep, that's what I'm looking forward to the most in the dub as well. "Captain Katsuragi"
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Another thing, besides the changes, that makes Misato (and Shinji) challenging for Q are their highly controversial actions; People will be picking around in all of their quotes; Just a little bit of nuance and inflection could make a huge difference in how they're percieved.

It's a good thing that (at least in the english dub), both of them have returning/old school actors.
They were both quite convincing in 2.0.

I'm kinda worried about the German Rebuild actress...

ONIAgent150
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby ONIAgent150 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:50 pm

They brought back Allison Keith. I'm on board the hype train.
AVATAR: Zer0 from Borderlands 2.

Noah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Noah » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Looking forward to Evangelion.3.33.Dub.NYCC.CAM.TeleSync.XviD.CoOlDuDeScEnE.torrent

But really, I can't wait for the dub. I don't feel like I've really "seen" the show until I see the dub. I watched the original series in English, and to me Spike Spencer is Shinji.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:52 pm

I wonder if we'll get a trailer....
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I wonder if we'll get a trailer....

At some point, I'm sure. Probably closer to when they'll release 3.33 on DVD/BD. This was the release trailer for 2.22. (...No comment.) Also, these teasers.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Yep, they just showed off the Wolf Children dub trailer, so expect an 3.33 trailer sometime after a release date is out.

As for the poster who said Spike Spencer is Shinji.... Yep, I feel the same way. I haven't admitted this but 3.0 was the first time I watched a full Eva film/ep in the Japanese dub, altho I knew who the VA's are and seen many clips on youtube beforehand. So ya, I'm much more acclimatized the English voices, even tho the EoE dub was kinda shit at times.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”