Does Eva 3.0 remind you of Prometheus[?]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheDrmcvey
Lilith

[SPOILERS] Does Eva 3.0 remind you of Prometheus[?]

Postby TheDrmcvey » Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 am

Prometheus? Just because of the same hate it's getting from fans for being confusing and that each movie seemed more like a set up for another film.

Honestly, I don't think Q has as many flaws, but I noticed that Q has had the same negative reaction from fans who hated on Prometheus. What do you all think?
Eva Rebirth

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon May 06, 2013 3:31 am

It's not comparable. Prometheus just has an incoherent script that makes no sense. 3.33 doesn't have that problem.

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

Postby TheDrmcvey » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 am

I was more of referring to fan reaction, and yes I agree with you.
Eva Rebirth

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jadley » Mon May 06, 2013 3:49 am

No.
It's too late to pry away.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 am

Fans getting all butthurt that a movie doesn't play out exactly how they expected it too is nothing new.

If anything the closest thing Evangelion 3.0's reaction should remind you of is how people reacted to NGE Episode 25/26 & End of Evangelion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 06, 2013 5:24 am

All I can say is that it is just as well that Ha came out before Prometheus, because that is exactly the comparison it would have received from the usual suspects around here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:13 am

It doesn't really remind me of Prometheus, either in terms of plot or fan reaction. Q was a bizarre film that had some good points but was hampered by a long timeskip and lack of characterisation. Prometheus was just a flat-out slab of "meh". Q is a mecha film set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Prometheus is a sci-fi alien film with bits of shock horror thrown in. The only thing the two have in common is theology references, and Q has far more of those than Prometheus.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Mon May 06, 2013 6:16 am

Nope can't say it reminded me Prometheus.Then again i dont remember so well the movie because i didn't liked it.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm

3.0 was good, but a slight letdown because the previous film was so hard to top.

Prometheus was utter shit in a long string of utter shit.

Not comparable at all.
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:It's not comparable. Prometheus just has an incoherent script that makes no sense. 3.33 doesn't have that problem.

What? Prometheus added up a lot if you paid attention. 3.0 adds on questions with answering any of the old ones.

EDIT: Wow, not a lot of Alien fans in here I guess....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

airman4
Banned

Postby airman4 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:It's not comparable. Prometheus just has an incoherent script that makes no sense. 3.33 doesn't have that problem.

Why so much hate ?
Prometheus was awesome!

I didnt noticed problems

SPOILER: Show
I mean, the answers will be in the sequel , just wait

i think ridley wanted a long movie , very long and they got problems so he had to cut the movie in parts.
It's frustrating , but it's exciting , that's why i wait the second movie to discover the behavior of the gods in prometheus and some explanation of some scenes (beginning for example)

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Elect G-Max » Mon May 06, 2013 8:07 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:Why so much hate ?
Prometheus was awesome!

I didnt noticed problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbcZggwVCw
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/08/vlog-6-8-12-prometheus
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 pm

View Original PostElect G-Max wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLbcZggwVCw
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/08/vlog-6-8-12-prometheus

The first video is a joke video. Even you should know that.
You're gonna have to tl;dr the second video, cause I'm not wasting an hour of my life just to listen to a guy say the movie is bad for 60 minutes.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:The first video is a joke video. Even you should know that.
You're gonna have to tl;dr the second video, cause I'm not wasting an hour of my life just to listen to a guy say the movie is bad for 60 minutes.

I normally hate those sorts of reviews with a passion, since those sorts generally just like to hear themselves talk and don't know how to actually critique shit. But in this case . . . yeah, they're actually spot on. It's a really, really bad movie.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Did you listen to the whole hour?!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:47 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I normally hate those sorts of reviews with a passion, since those sorts generally just like to hear themselves talk and don't know how to actually critique shit. But in this case . . . yeah, they're actually spot on. It's a really, really bad movie.

Man, you guys are haters. Prometheus was fucking awesome. Next you're gonna tell me Watchman was boring.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 06, 2013 9:49 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Did you listen to the whole hour?!

Half. I had to wait for it to load so I could get to the pregnancy scene, which is what I really wanted to see dissected. Also, the dog was very cute.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby lastcody » Mon May 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I loved Prometheus and you know I thought you guys would of been the crowd who would of liked it, I mean don't get me wrong it has flaws but I feel the positives weighed it out for me.

and anyways I can get what the OP is saying, from a fan reaction perspective its not too far off. Though I see where the arguments about each films are similar, they are ultimately different films altogether.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Tue May 07, 2013 3:15 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:What? Prometheus added up a lot if you paid attention.

I didn't pay attention? I was following the evolution of the movie closely before release and read both available scripts. What ended up in theaters makes no sense because they replaced the facehuggers with "black goo". If you expect a sequel to answer your questions, you will be disappointed.

I know all the answers to all questions. This movie is a pile of incoherent garbage, and the sole reason is that Ridley is a red wine addict. I already wasted countless hours of my life talking about that movie, and I won't do it again, I've had enough.

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:EDIT: Wow, not a lot of Alien fans in here I guess....

When you are fan of something you don't have to force yourself to like garbage only because it's part of the franchise.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 am

Prometheus is a solid film that is hampered by it's ties to the Alien franchise - a series I love but one that is deader than dead, once you have plushie Facehuggers in stores the Alien itself can't be scary anymore. Anywho, I like Prometheus for all it's flaws & I'd argue the first third is some of the best large scale science fiction we've had in decades. Alas, for all the very philosophical ideas the film introduces in it's elegant first act it starts to squander with traditional blockbuster set pieces.

It's a film I personally find hard to hate. It sure does squander a lot of it's promise. It's the promise of a new '2001' that soon becomes a Monster Movie. After getting over the initial bad taste of it not being an intelligent bit of science fiction (and after seeing Ridley Scott's work of the past decade who was I kidding?) I can respect the film for the technical expertise, the excellent filmmaking, some choice performances & instilling a level of intrigue that does make me want to return to that universe in a future film. Which even as a diehard fan I can't say i have anymore interests to return to stories about the Xenomorphs.

Prometheus is a film that promised intelligence & instead offered Brainless Cinema 101.

Evangelion 3.0 strikes me as the opposite. The previous entry in the franchise promised people "the Badass tales of Shinji & his Female Harrem". Had 3.0 followed on from what the intentionally fan-service heavy moments of 2.0 promised the third film would have been a safe, fan-friendly tale of Shinji having to choose between a bunch of hot girls who fawn over him (which is it just me or is that what 99% of anime is nowadays... must be Evangelion & a few choice series & films aside the medium is mostly dead to me). 3.0 didn't play it safe, thus a lot of people hate it.

Oh well.... rewatched 3.33 again & yeah, I love this film. Best Evangelion related anything since EOE... which I'm also sure when it came out was referred to by many people as "the worst thing ever".

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”