[3.33] Things you noticed

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:43 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:The moment when the black moon is about to come out from the ground, some electricity pylons are being severed? (You can see many, huge electric sparks)

I saw this too, and thought that it was just a visual effect, and that in the film it is supposed to be something related to the Impact. I didn't really think about it. Your theory makes sense, but aren't the pylons formed by core material too? Even the trains that we see when Eva-08 falls down after having stopped Eva-13's Awakening, are turned into core. It seems that the "coreification" had an effect on every single object.
:cringe: I dont't get it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 am

Your right about the fact that it just might be a visual effect that the black moon is causing.

Reasons:
1. It happens on top of the weird "Cross-shaped fissure" that N3rd impact caused. There are no cords anywhere near.

2. And as you said everything should have been turned into a core.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:It happens on top of the weird "Cross-shaped fissure" that N3rd impact caused. There are no cords anywhere near.

:cringe: I didn't notice that it was that cross shap! But it makes sense. The Geofront got out through the "ceiling" that Shinji destroyed. Does that maybe mean that even if we didn't see it during Near Third Impact the Black Moon began to ascend, and that that's the reason the Geofront was pulled out?
OMF wrote:Perhaps Eva-01 is actually continually radiating something hazardous? That said, Eva-02 only really seems to be in danger after the engine is ignited.

Somewher it was pointed out that even the interior of the Eva-01 coffin at the beginning was turned into core.
About the igniter, it could be that it was the fact that Eva-02 touched the engine what turned the arm into core. We can't know for sure.
ElMariachi wrote:but when its dormant the radiation is on a low enough level that EVA-02 could work around it with the protection of its AT Field

Ah, that's why she activates the AT Field. But still, I'm not sure if the turning into core and the barrier are the same. That would mean that Eva-08 (an actual Evangelion) is affected by it (when touching Eva-13) but the pilots in the ending scene not. Even if their piloting made them special, that seems too much. Or maybe the barrier wasn't that intense? We can't really know anything. We can just look for all the information.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Ritsuko said that using the Eva to shove in the ignitor was dangerous because there was a "problem with the barrier density around the main engine", and the only thing that happened during the operation is that EVA-02's robot-arm turned to core once the main engine was activated, by all logic the reason she activated her AT Field was to prevent that, I don't see any other reason to put up such an impenetrable barrier.

And the term used by Ritsuko is very similar to the one used by Asuka at the end of the movie : "The L Barrier density is too high here".

EVA-08(as well as EVA-02' at the beginning of the movie) had been affected by core erosion because they were in direct contact with the source of the radiation(EVA-01 do Asuka, EVA-13 for Mari) while it was at full power : when it was in an Awakened state.
The rest of the time, the barrier density is probably too low to affect an Eva, especially with it's AT Field up, or apparently an Evangelion pilot, who by some reason benefit from some sort of natural resistance to low concentrations of the L barrier.

Of course, for the moment it's all speculations.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Hm, I know what you mean. It makes sense that the Evas were in direct contact. So if Wunder were to go rescue the pilots, they would begin to turn into that core material? This is even more horrible than turning into LCL. I hope that if this happens in 4.0, they still add something mystical to it, like seeing a loved one in EoE.

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:There's a theory floating around somewhere that it's Kaji's seat. However, your idea has merit; I see no reason why it couldn't be Maya's seat.

I was thinking that maybe Wille has some base, and Kaji could be there. Maybe he left for some time, or is injured. Or he was killed and that's why he isn't there anymore. I think it wouldn't make much sense to kill him if he appears in the final movie (if he died together with everyone else because of Instrumentality, that would of course make sense), but I do think that the hope for Shinji that the preview talks about could be him. Or Toji.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Hm, I know what you mean. It makes sense that the Evas were in direct contact. So if Wunder were to go rescue the pilots, they would begin to turn into that core material? This is even more horrible than turning into LCL. I hope that if this happens in 4.0, they still add something mystical to it, like seeing a loved one in EoE.

Well maybe not the Wunder, since it can generate an AT Field, but it was severely damaged by Mark.09 and thus probably only had the time to fetch EVA-08 before retreating(an Eva still emitting from the top of the Black Moon is far easier to track than a lone entry plug lost in the middle of the post M4I rubble), remember that they lost their main cannons and that without them and two damaged Evas, if Gendo decides to call some NS as reinforcement, the Wunder will be an easy prey.

But any other aircraft(chopper, VTOL) don't have an AT Field, so whatever the hell are the effect of a too high L Barrier density, they would be without protection against it. That's probably why Asuka said that they needed to move to a position were the Lilin will be able to pick them up(i.e. a place were the L Barrier density is low enough to let conventional aircrafts to land)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:05 pm

After I read in your post how difficult it is for Wunder to find the entry plug...how did Rei find it? Just luck? And does Wille know of Asuka's situation? They probably do, and also know that she will find a place were they can pick her up. But, does she have a mobile phone or something similar? We will probably see in 4.0's opening.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Well, the entry plug probably had a build-in communication system, so maybe she could notice the Wunder that she landed fine after her ejection and that while she's on it she will go to look where is gaki Shinji's entry plug.

It's also possible that this L Barrier thing also jams the communications(after all high amounts of radiations are known to do that too) and that the Wunder people could only make guesses that Asuka survived, but as Asuka herself pointed out at the beginning of the movie, in this world people don't have the luxury to care for just one person, so without any way to confirm that Asuka is safe or to pinpoint her location, Misato ordered the Wunder to leave neo-NERV territory before some NS could come to join the party.

But in any case I'm sure that Asuka has a mean of short-medium range communication, there is probably a talkie-walkie in the bags Shinji and Rei are carrying(strange that neo-NERV thought of that and not WILLE!), but I really doubt that it had the range to contact the Wunder, so they will go to a place where the L Barrier density is lower and try to get located by a WILLE patrol, by calling from the talkie-walkie in the WILLE used frequencies, making a fire, maybe the bags also have flare guns or an electronic beacon than can be configured to broadcast on WILLE frequencies(using it on default configuration and getting spotted by NS is a very lame way to die!).

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Has it already been brought up that only the Evas piloted by males (01, Mark.06 and 13) have unicorn helmet designs?

This is clearly a phallic reference.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:36 pm

So... Rei Q grew a dick? 'Cause Mark.09 totally grew a horn! :tongue:

And then what does it says to Asuka's two horned EVA-02 and Mari's three horned EVA-08? :cringe:
Did that curse of Eva left the female pilots with an "extra"? No wonder Asuka is so pissed off! :lol:

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Damnit I forgot about Mark.09's extra head...MY THEORY IS RUINED!

Then again, with that new head attached is when it's controlled by Seele. Maybe there's some male-based dummy system?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Since the Wunder's Command Bridge has the form of the Awakened Mark.09's head, I guess it has more to do with Mark.09's true appearance than any male controlling it(unless Misato... OH MY GOD, that's why she's pissed off at Shinji! :tongue: )

Besides SEELE are not even humans since at least millenia, so I don't think that any male symbolism could be applied to them.

f you want a symbolism, every unicorned Evangelion so far turned out to be a danger for mankind : EVA-01 for N3I and maybe 3I, Mark.06 because it was destined as the guide for HIP, Mark.09 when it almost eyebeamed t death the Wunder, and EVA-13 for N4I.

Deva Victrix
Adam

Postby Deva Victrix » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:20 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Since the Wunder's Command Bridge has the form of the Awakened Mark.09's head, I guess it has more to do with Mark.09's true appearance than any male controlling it(unless Misato... OH MY GOD, that's why she's pissed off at Shinji! :tongue: )

Besides SEELE are not even humans since at least millenia, so I don't think that any male symbolism could be applied to them.

f you want a symbolism, every unicorned Evangelion so far turned out to be a danger for mankind : EVA-01 for N3I and maybe 3I, Mark.06 because it was destined as the guide for HIP, Mark.09 when it almost eyebeamed t death the Wunder, and EVA-13 for N4I.

So....

The Penis Is Evil?

Woah, dude. Dude...woah.

Also, the SEELE dudes are Big Black....Monoliths. Those things are big-ass phallic symbols, brobeans.
THINGS AND STUFF.

Avatar: Werewolf Asuka(THE BEST Asuka.)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:The moment when the black moon is about to come out from the ground, some electricity pylons are being severed? (You can see many, huge electric sparks)

Personally, I thought that were static electricity discharges from the friction of that much rock sliding against rock when the black moon emerged.

There would be no more power in those lines, and we know they did research on the physics.

Besides, weren't there similar discharges when the black moon surfaced in EoE (The 'eye-like' cut) ?

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Then again, with that new head attached is when it's controlled by Seele. Maybe there's some male-based dummy system?

Or just because of SEELE's awful male-to-female ratio. (Regardless of their true origin, Gendo calls them 'old men', and Lorenz is still credited by a contemporary enough human male name. I think the you gave us civilasation thing is part of the FAR ritual, or refering to the organization as a whole. ) Either way. ReiQ certainly wasn't in control of it anymore.

But I don't think the horns have to do with dix, it's just, the protagonist's EVA had a horn, and therefore, other EVAs get horns for paralelism/Rivaly/showing it's dangerous.
Both the Mk six and EVa 13 (and ARMAROS, as well as Unit Beta's crazy angel form, to use frachise-wide examples.) are designed to be "evil twins" of EVA 01.
By the point the mk six comes in, horns are just established as dangerous plot-relevant things, and the activated adam's vessel mode mk six is supposed to look all sorts of sinister and powerful.
It's probably supposed to evoke the Wunder's head more than EVA 01... or who knows? That's a clone of the madlady inside EVA 01 inside it.

Another thing about the Wunder: Doesn't it's outlize remind you of the Nazca lines? If it's in fact a FAR artifact, this is where they could have burried it XD

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Their names are Kaede Agano (after the Light Cruiser Agano), Satsuki Oi (After the 'torpedo cruiser' Oi and possibly Mutsuki-class destroyer Satsuki) and Aoi Mogami (after the heavy cruiser Mogami). Most hilarious part is how the 'cruiser' naming convention so perfectly mixes with the Wille bridge crew's names! Not only does Satsuki Oi get to be of the same class (and added torpedo tubes) as Hideki Tama and Pinky Kitakami, Oi's given name, like Sumire's and Sakura's, is both a perfectly legit female name and the name of a World War Two era destroyer!

Nice nod to the rest of the frachise XD
I'm kinda planning to have a fic peripherically involving those three go post-timeskip.
Ooi and Agano would be killed during/before TI, possibly by flying EVa 02 head and JSDF, respectively, but Mogami, being the less obviously pretty quiet one with the glasses, probably has the most potential as a WILLE member, perhaps she could serve under Maya...
I have this vision of her with her hair slightly lower and tied back, and a camouflage headband.
Elaborating on WILLE is one of these things that had to be sacrificed for the film to work psychologically, but can be done nicely in a written format - introduce WILLE and the post-TI world through the PoV of some random kid that enters wille as they plan to aquire both the Wunder and EVA 01, or something like that.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

cloudxsolder
Adam

Postby cloudxsolder » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:58 pm

So is it generally acknowledged that no one but the pilots can enter the 'L Barrier' area around old nerv? I never put this together.. but it does explain why Gendo's hide out is all up in the air n junk.

It also (might) explain why Mark02 turned to core after taking a few direct shots from Asuka. She says 'The whole thing is a core' - It might just mean that that after destroying it's (original core) it turns to core when it's AT field broke down. Just a thought.

I had never thought of the L Barrier this way/.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:11 pm

View Original Postcloudxsolder wrote:So is it generally acknowledged that no one but the pilots can enter the 'L Barrier' area around old nerv? I never put this together.. but it does explain why Gendo's hide out is all up in the air n junk.

Never mind Gendo, he hasn't aged any more than them kids. How is FUYUTSUKI out there.

Then again, conditions inside NERV HQ =/= conditions on the surface. There were plants down there.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Something I noticed after seeing many 3.0 fanart depicting Ritsuko with her usual cigarette : we never saw Risuko smoking in 3.0, we didn't even saw an ashtray suggesting that she smoked off camera in any of the scenes she was present.

Does that mean that she quitted smoking?(maybe not by choice, we don't know what kind of supplies WILLE can provide to its troops and in what quantity)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:21 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Something I noticed after seeing many 3.0 fanart depicting Ritsuko with her usual cigarette : we never saw Risuko smoking in 3.0, we didn't even saw an ashtray suggesting that she smoked off camera in any of the scenes she was present.

Does that mean that she quitted smoking?(maybe not by choice, we don't know what kind of supplies WILLE can provide to its troops and in what quantity)

We don't really such much of the WILLE cast doing standard living things. That's all up in speculation as well.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Thread surgery complete. Stuff about the Wunder went here.

Let's not forget that this topic used to get locked all the time because it became too much of a potpourri i.e. disorganized dumping grounds. I'd like it if people used this thread only for "things you noticed" that don't belong anywhere else. Little things you noticed about the Wunder are probably better off in the dedicated Wunder thread, for example.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Something I noticed thanks to an album of gifs in imgur, especially to this gif of Asuka taking of her space helmet :
SPOILER: Show

The white representation of space we see through the entry plug's optic at the beginning of the movie goes back to real colors when she takes of the helmet, and since its glass seems tinted, that could mean that is acts like a sort of "sunglasses" because having this bright image four a long time must give the pilot one hell of an headache, but once she take it off the system automatically goes back to real colors to tire less her eye.

Same thing with Mari, she kept her helmet, so the image is still brightly white :

It's probable that it's easier to navigate in space with the image in white than with the darkness of space.

I find that a nice detail.

Another thing this album made me notice, when Kaworu's head is about to get plastered across the wall by the DSS Choker, there is an effect of "wind" that makes his hair flow, effect that is noticeably absent from Shinji's entry plug :

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”