Captain Shikinami

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

[SPOILERS] Captain Shikinami

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 am

Split from here -- http://forum.evageeks.org/post/618213/Does-Anno-hate-Asuka/#618213

I think another factor that puts question to Anno's favoritism of Asuka would be this thread right here started by none other than our resident Asukafag (the mightiest Asukafag of them all!) that highlights Asuka's college education and why she doesn't she seem exhibit any above average intelligence. I don't see Asuka as being dumb or anything but I can see how it could raise an eyebrow. Not to mention, it's mentioned only once and never to be heard of again. Shikinami in Rebuild, unfortunately, also raises an eyebrow as because while she is a Captain of the European Air Force, we don't see her skills be put to much use either (as a Captain) nor do we see her coordinating a plan or any shit like that for an Angel attack. Granted, she defeats one by herself and delivers the finishing blow to another but that's really it, and like Soryu, endures a (somewhat) similar mindfuck (this time with Bardiel). I don't know, one could argue there's a lot of wasted potential right there and like college education with Soryu, Shikinami's rank is also never mentioned again.

:uhh:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Shikinami's rank is also never mentioned again.

Well, if you haven't seen the third movie, you can't say that for a FACT...

Eva 3.0  SPOILER: Show
Asuka mentions her captain rank in passing before she heads off to ignite Wunder's engine.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 am

Also you can see from the 6 minutes preview that Asuka is acting like Mari's superior officer, even though you could say that ordering people around is just Asuka being Asuka.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:47 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Well, if you haven't seen the third movie, you can't say that for a FACT...

Eva 3.0  SPOILER: Show
Asuka mentions her captain rank in passing before she heads off to ignite Wunder's engine.

SPOILER: Show
So this specific line: "Well, prioritize the objective, human life is expendable", is a captain's motto, after all" was actually referring to her rank? Shit, here I thought it was referencing Misato, who is also a Captain, as well. Damn, I did not see that. It's been a while since I've seen the film in its entirety.
Last edited by Rei IV on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Rei IV:

Yeah, the word for "captain" there is the same as what Asuka is. Not sure how to get that across in the translation, aside from maybe having her say "this captain's motto".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:10 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:
So this specific line: "Well, prioritize the objective, human life is expendable", is a captain's motto, after all" was actually referring to her rank? Shit, here I thought was referencing Misato, who is also a Captain, as well. Damn, I did not see that. It's been a while since I've seen the film in its entirety.

Evangelion Q  SPOILER: Show
This is mess caused by the translation, Misato is taisa (大佐)while Asuka is tai (大尉), depending on the ranking convention taisa can be translated as captain (navy) or colonel (ground/air force) while tai becomes lieutenant (navy) or captain (ground/air force). Also Misato is referred as kanchou in other scenes which means "captain" in the sense of ship's master, regardless from the actual military rank.

EDIT:
@Reichu:
Captain is correct in so far they're on board of a ship of some kind but maybe we should use colonel in order to avoid confusion between their ranks.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:
This is mess caused by the translation, Misato is taisa (大佐)while Asuka is tai (大尉), depending on the ranking convention taisa can be translated as captain (navy) or colonel (ground/air force) while tai becomes lieutenant (navy) or captain (ground/air force). Also Misato is referred as kanchou in other scenes which means "captain" in the sense of ship's master, regardless from the actual military rank.

EDIT:
@Reichu:
Captain is correct in so far they're on board of a ship of some kind but maybe we should use colonel in order to avoid confusion between their ranks.

So does that means
Evangelion 3.0  SPOILER: Show
that Misato's rank is still Colonel, and when she's referred as "kanchou" it's a specific position as the ship master, regardless of if she's Colonel, Captain, or even Admiral, that's right?

Evangelion 3.0  SPOILER: Show
As for the motto, maybe Asuka's phrase has a double meaning, like "Captain(Kanchou) Misato's motto is 'prioritize the objective, human life is expendable' and I, as an air force Captain, embraced this motto too" It's clearly Misato's doctrine before all, we saw her applying it when Asuka was recuperating EVA-01 from orbit, Misato explicitly said : "Don't let go of the target object, even if it means sacrificing the unit." Unit being Unit-02'(and Asuka)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Do we need to split this into a Q forum thread for the moment?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Do we need to split this into a Q forum thread for the moment?

I would appreciate it, a generic title about the military ranks should suffice. We could move the discussion to the translation thread otherwise.
EDIT:
Thanks for the split.
View Original PostElMariachi wrote:So does that means that Misato's rank is still Colonel, and when she's referred as "kanchou" it's a specific position as the ship master, regardless of if she's Colonel, Captain, or even Admiral, that's right?

Yep.
View Original PostElMariachi wrote:As for the motto, maybe Asuka's phrase has a double meaning, like "Captain(Kanchou) Misato's motto is 'prioritize the objective, human life is expendable' and I, as an air force Captain, embraced this motto too"

Asuka called her taisa in that scene, personally I think that she's teasing or maybe even provoking Misato, by using her rank she reminded her that there's no space for personal feelings in their war against Nerv/Seele, but as we know Misato failed to follow her own motto few minutes later.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Hyper Shinchan wrote:Captain is correct in so far they're on board of a ship of some kind but maybe we should use colonel in order to avoid confusion between their ranks.

I think "Captain" is the officially endorsed translation in both Asuka and Misato's cases, though. And since Asuka's title only shows up once in 3.0, I suggested altering the translation of her line to make it more explicit she's talking about herself: "this captain", i.e. "me". Alternatively, we could expand to "airforce captain" or something.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I think "Captain" is the officially endorsed translation in both Asuka and Misato's cases, though.

Did they already release an officially endorsed translation for Misato's rank? I can't remember reading anything about it.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Did they already release an officially endorsed translation for Misato's rank? I can't remember reading anything about it.

You can see it during Operation US, on the entry plug screen when Misato is buzzing Asuka. "Cpt. Katsuragi".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Asuka called her taisa in that scene, personally I think that she's teasing or maybe even provoking Misato, by using her rank she reminded her that there's no space for personal feelings in their war against Nerv/Seele, but as we know Misato failed to follow her own motto few minutes later.

That would imply that Misato already broke her motto in the past, and that Asuka is stealthily teasing her about it. But personally I don't think that's the case, Misato already showed us that she tends to follow her motto when she ordered Asuka to retrieve the Tesseract at any cost, even if it means sacrificing herself.

But really, it's difficult to say, as we don't know how Misato is "normally", i.e. when not having to deal with a very sensible subject like Shinji's return.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Ahh, my bad. This whole tangent was the product of a misunderstanding. Checking the Japanese again, Asuka does say "taiSA no motto", meaning she is talking about Misato there and not herself. :duhme:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That would imply that Misato already broke her motto in the past, and that Asuka is stealthily teasing her about it. But personally I don't think that's the case, Misato already showed us that she tends to follow her motto when she ordered Asuka to retrieve the Tesseract at any cost, even if it means sacrificing herself.

Maybe she was insinuating that she follows that motto with others but not with Shinji, Asuka used to have a complex about Shinji being a favourite, pampered boy; this is especially possible if she knows something about what they're going to do with him. Anyway I guess that this isn't strictly related to this topic.
View Original PostReichu wrote:You can see it during Operation US, on the entry plug screen when Misato is buzzing Asuka. "Cpt. Katsuragi".

I didn't notice it, thanks. I guess that it's no use in this case, still I'm curious about what Funimation will do.
View Original PostReichu wrote:Ahh, my bad. This whole tangent was the product of a misunderstanding. Checking the Japanese again, Asuka does say "taiSA no motto", meaning she is talking about Misato there and not herself. :duhme:

I kinda noticed that but I wasn't sure whether I was missing something or not.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 am

You'd think after at least 10 years of holding the rank of Captain, Asuka would've been promoted.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:32 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Maybe she was insinuating that she follows that motto with others but not with Shinji, Asuka used to have a complex about Shinji being a favourite, pampered boy; this is especially possible if she knows something about what they're going to do with him. Anyway I guess that this isn't strictly related to this topic.
That's hard to picture, since the scene where Misato hesitated to activate the DSS Choker hadn't happened yet.
Unless her treatment of Shinji WAS kind compared of what he was supposed to get... isolation and a bomb collar, the kind treatment... I don't even want to imagine what the "normal" treatment would have been, much less the "harsh" one... :bigeyes:

Veefy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Veefy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:56 am

I'd say that whoever is the ultimate leader/authority in WILLE (Misato? presumably, unless there is someone else behind the scenes which I kinda doubt) probably chose ranks etc largely based around NERV structure in which case most people retained a similar rank to what they had before even if within WILLE they have more responsibility at that rank than what they had at NERV. So even though Misato seems to be running the entire organization she's still is a Colonel. Though operationally she gets called captain and Ritsuko vice-captain because they are in direct command of aaa wunder.

Though obviously a lot of the crew were never at NERV in the first place.

libs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby libs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Someone probably posted this before, but you can count the RAF-like pin on her hat as another reference:

palerider1911
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby palerider1911 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 am

Kinda went into the whole Captain/Colonel bit in another thread. Will try to bring it back over here. You can read that here, and the following two posts for the subsequent discussion.

To summarize: Misato's rank is Colonel, but her role is Wunder's Captain. There's no conflict between these two states. Even in the Navy, someone with a rank other than Captain [O-6] could be a Captain of a ship.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”