The door, and whatever lies within.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

[SPOILERS] The door, and whatever lies within.

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 am

I can't believe I'm only posting about this now, when it was news more than a year ago.
Does anybody remember the second glimpse of 3.0 that we ever saw? Not the preview, mind you. In 2011, we were treated to a 19-second sneak peek of 3.0. Of course, none of this footage made it into the movie, save the last shot in the trailer.

Except that wasn't the last shot.

It was pretty difficult to catch, and I didn't even notice until my computer glitched out, pausing the video. (Note: The one that I posted clearly shows the image that I'm talking about.) My screen froze, and I was treated to this. The spoiler tags are only there to mark the image. There's no actual Q spoiler.
SPOILER: Show

What. The. Fuck. Is. This.

Having finally seen 3.0 myself, I'm even more confused than I was when I saw the trailer for the first time. Whose hand is this? Why is there an actual lock on this door? Why is there nothing beyond the threshold? What happened to the animation? I had all these questions the first time that I watched it, and now they're all rushing back.

At first, I assumed that this was Misato's hand. It was the red blazer that did it for me. The keyhole I attributed to the door just being, well, old.

Obviously, these don't work anymore.

Misato has a different jacket now. It can't be her. Also, all old buildings were destroyed during Third Impact. There simply wouldn't be anything else like this. Also of note is the odd animation style. It felt more like the TV series than anything I had seen in the RoE continuum thus far.

What do you make of all of this nonsense?

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 am

Well the most obvious thought that comes to my mind is that it's not Eva at all. This is what you found on Youtube, right? Could be as simple as the creator of the video catching the start of the next clip after the end of the Eva one. Kinda accounts for the short blank in between.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 am

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:Well the most obvious thought that comes to my mind is that it's not Eva at all. This is what you found on Youtube, right? Could be as simple as the creator of the video catching the start of the next clip after the end of the Eva one. Kinda accounts for the short blank in between.

It appeared in every instance of the trailer that I viewed. Whatever it is, it looks like it was meant to be there.

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 am

In that case, what little I can see beyond the door appears to be grey, perhaps a landscape? It could be a prototype of the scene where Shinji sees the ruin after 3I? As a matter of thought, and this is pure speculation mind.

Shinji received a piece of clothing from an old friend. What if in this draft it was Misato's old coat and this is him wearing it as he steps out onto the ruined landscape of Tokyo-3? After all, the buildings were destroyed, but there's no guarantee there isn't enough standing to allow for a scene/transition like this. All that would need to be standing is a door, a frame and one wall.

Again, all purely speculative, but seeing nothing like this in the movie itself to my knowledge, I'm grasping at straws without more data.

I still think it could just be an editing flub, it's not unusual for many different sites to have the same source for video.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

Mori-kun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mori-kun » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 am

It must be that all the people who recorded it happened to include that clip. I simply doesn't fit in Eva. When else has there been a cut beyond the title card in a trailer? And that animation's quality pales in comparison to the rest of the trailer.

I'm not really convinced.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It appeared in every instance of the trailer that I viewed. Whatever it is, it looks like it was meant to be there.

It is in none of the trailers that I've got. Not the ones from Nico, and not the ones from that I downloaded from the the Eva bandai channel where most of them were originally released.

The youtube video from the your link is not a trailer, but the "next episode" preview at the end of the Friday Roadshow's airing of 2.0, it had promised a "surprise" at the end which ended up being an unfinished sneak peek for 3.0. Once the preview ended, whatever the next thing that was broadcasted on NTV is what you've got a screenshot of, and it's been cut off so who knows what it was. The reason why it probably appeared in every instance of the trailer that you viewed is because it all came from the same rip. I have 2 other rips of the next episode preview from different broadcasts and neither of them have anything after the end of this cut:

(notice the different watermark)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:48 am

The style is so glaringly different from that of the NME that it has to be something else just from looking at it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 am

Very well, then. I'm sad that it doesn't leave us with a mystery to figure out, but...

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:This is possibly the stupidest thread I've seen on this forum outisde of off-topic, so you can at least take solace in that.

Stupid thread or not, I had a question and posted it. I never expected to be branded as a person who creates stupid threads, though. I asked a question and I got an answer. There was no need to insult me after the fact.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I was just joking around, it was supposed to be in good fun. You could laugh along instead y'know :sniffle:

My apologies. I was never good at picking up jokes through a text medium.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 pm

And there I thought this would be about the door of gauf and how creepy it is that you actually see something on the other side, something like a solar eclipse.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby marmotgirl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Looks like Lupin III to me. Red Jacket series. Hairy hands are kinda distinctive.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Clearly there would have been a flashback where Lupin worked with Kaji to steal The Key of Nebuchadnezzar in an earlier draft of 3.0.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:And there I thought this would be about the door of gauf and how creepy it is that you actually see something on the other side, something like a solar eclipse.

We all know Anno is on the other side of that door. Shinji is going to meet him, and things will get incredibly meta. And Grant Morrison did it first in the early 90's with Animal Man. While on drugs.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:24 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:We all know Anno is on the other side of that door. Shinji is going to meet him, and things will get incredibly meta.

I'd give my left nut to see that happen.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:55 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:We all know Anno is on the other side of that door. Shinji is going to meet him, and things will get incredibly meta.

"So you're the one responsible for all my suffering?"
"No, you see, it's you who are responsible. Your suffering is merely in your head, you have to change your perspective and rethi-"
"No, no, you write me. You're responsible for my suffering. When bad things happen it's because you wrote it."
"Well... yes."

All they could recover of Anno was his left hand and a few strands of hair.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:"So you're the one responsible for all my suffering?"
"No, you see, it's you who are responsible. Your suffering is merely in your head, you have to change your perspective and rethi-"
"No, no, you write me. You're responsible for my suffering. When bad things happen it's because you wrote it."
"Well... yes."

All they could recover of Anno was his left hand and a few strands of hair.

:hitthetable: Seriously, I think this has to happen at some point. How great would it be if characters could just break the 4th wall and speak with their screenwriters/authors?

Also, there can't be anything left of Anno. Otherwise, they'd clone him and start all over.

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:14 am

Sorry to intrude, should have nothing to do, but you reminded me Puchi Eva: Evangelion @ School - Chapter 20 (with Shinji in the desert) has a scene involving a strange door. And if you have time, check Puchi Eva - Evangelion @ School Cap 14, I think there's a symbolism that you may find interesting.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”