[NO SPOILERS] Q gets lanced by IMDB

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

[NO SPOILERS] Q gets lanced by IMDB

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0860907/

Say what you will about the usefulness of the IMDB rating system, but the weighted rating for Q has dropped to the super-sexy-sounding but surprisingly low number of 6.9, which makes it the lowest rated evangelion title by far on IMDB.

Still, with only 150 or so votes, it's already proving to be even more divisive than EOE.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 am

I vaguely suspect that most votes come from people who didn't really watch the film yet.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:38 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I vaguely suspect that most votes come from people who didn't really watch the film yet.

Either this, or people who were so confused with what went on in the film that they had a post-Q rage fest and voted a low score. Hopefully when more people see it and rewatch it the film may become more respected for what it is.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:59 am

Low scores are fine. This means that Anno successfully trolled people into thinking that Eva would become TTGL Mark 2 and made them upset. Great! That's one of the things I wanted Q to accomplish.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 am

150 votes eh? Most haven't even seen Q, all reading spoilers and going off of each others rage, sheep!

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 pm

View Original PostTomasJC wrote:Either this, or people who were so confused with what went on in the film that they had a post-Q rage fest and voted a low score. Hopefully when more people see it and rewatch it the film may become more respected for what it is.

Well that depends. If they are too pissed off they may not rewatch it. Well if they watched to begin with. On the other hand, some people just are not going to like it. Eva is not for everybody.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Well that depends. If they are too pissed off they may not rewatch it. Well if they watched to begin with. On the other hand, some people just are not going to like it. Eva is not for everybody.

But who really watches eva and expects to fully absorb it on the first go?
I used to really enjoy swimming pools... until I saw the pool of Rei clones get disintegrated.

Can I get that feature in my pool?

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 pm

That's very true. Eva can put you on a rollercoaster. Most people don't get it the first time. And they're lying their butts off if they say they do.

But i'm not surprised. Complex shows like this never get good reviews....especially in the beginning. :shrug:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:16 am

^ Love your avatar.

90s Storm is best Storm.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:51 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:^ Love your avatar.

90s Storm is best Storm.

She's one of my favorite characters. 90's Storm kicked butt!
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Evanut
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evanut » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:01 pm

I just posted in the welcome thread, hopefully I'm not posting again too soon here...

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Anything Evangelion and a nerdy IMDB user, the rating is artificially lowered for titles without many votes, and some other things which have to do with 'regular users' voting. In order to see the arithmetic mean for any movie title, just click the users link underneath the star rating.

So, the actual mean rating for Eva 3.0 is currently 8.5/10 with just 179 votes, pretty good I would say. Now, the rating will probably go down a bit over time and it's likely that most of the people who voted didn't actually see it yet, in other words, it's too early to guess what it's final rating will be

Just because, here are the actual ratings for all of the Eva titles (as of 01/11/13)

Neon Genesis Evangelion: 8.7 (11937 votes)
Evangelion 3.0: 8.5 (179 votes)
End of Evangelion: 8.3 (10373 votes)
Evangelion 2.0: 8.3 (4602 votes)
Evangelion 1.0: 8.0 (5482 votes)
Death and Rebirth: 7.7 (3922 votes)
Last edited by Evanut on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:38 pm

Coming from me personally every thing on IMBD Is bullshit.
I mean come on look at the release date COME ON!! Really?
I don't even believe that. the other movies took at least 2 to 1 year to release so it might take a couple months.
Plus they haven't even seen the movie yet so how can they rate it! :crazytwirl:
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』
『Hope Always Remains.In The End』

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 pm

But don't you have to be well informed and impartial to post an opinion on the internet in the first place?

Damn I should have waited 4 months to post that.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

DeadClones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DeadClones » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:But don't you have to be well informed and impartial to post an opinion on the internet in the first place?

Damn I should have waited 4 months to post that.

I can't find the damn like button...
I used to really enjoy swimming pools... until I saw the pool of Rei clones get disintegrated.

Can I get that feature in my pool?

DanYeomans
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DanYeomans » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 am

It's unfortunate that movies like this get low ratings on popular movies sites, but here's my take:

Not too generalize the IMDB crowd, but most of the people who go there (from my knowledge) are people who are not very well exposed to anime, or not very well exposed to evangelion. Unfortunately, when most people look at series with mecha, they assume a clear cut and simple story, and if they expect a complex story, they expect the story to tell them it's complex flat out. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. I'm not saying Eva 3.0 is either, but I will say that it doesn't match expectations, for better or for worse.

Personally, it exceeded my expectations, but for some, not so much.
*Gendou pose*
Life is like a box of chocolates; everyone dies and gets turned into LCL. That's what chocolate does, right?

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:20 pm

I've found that anything that has a 5.9 rating or above has a chance of being decent at least. ;)

BTW, it's up to 7.0 now.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 am

you forgot to spoiler your second spoiler.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Evanut
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evanut » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Down to a 6.7 on IMDB now with 209 votes and believe it or not the mean rating is still 8.4, how does that work?

Anyway, the site with the most ratings for Q so far is Myanimelist. On that site it has 634 votes with a weighted average of 8.09 -- I don't want to do the math for the actual mean which would be higher.

And then there's Animenews network with a grand total of 14 votes and a mean average of 8.857

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

[情報]
IMBD Just changed the score to a 6.7
and the release date to May 5th of this year
Sweet it's close to my birthday now.
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』
『Hope Always Remains.In The End』

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:30 pm

IMDB is the dregs of the internet. It's actually quite impressive how sick, festered & downright ignorant the place can be.

Also, ANY kind of rating score on IMDB is absolutely beyond useless. I promise, 95% of the ratings for 3.0 there are based sight unseen. Meanwhile anything comic book related that doesn't flat out suck ends up being one of the illustrious (for now) top 250 films of all time.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”