Evangelion Series in NME

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

[SPOILERS] Evangelion Series in NME

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Okay so as of 3.0 we are up to 13 Eva's. However several are missing. So where are these missing Evangelions? Lets review through the Eva series.
Unit-00- Destroyed, eaten by Zuriel.
Unit-01- Awakened, currently used to power the Wunder by Wille.
Unit-02- Seriously damaged by self destruct. Will be used to make Eva 8+2.
Unit-03- Possessed by Badiel. Destroyed by Unit-01 under dummy plug control.
Unit-04- Vanished along with Nevada base during S2 Engine test.
Unit-05- Destroyed, possibly sabatoge to self destruct.
Mark-06- Possessed by 12th angel, absorbed by Unit-13.
Unit-07- missing.
Unit-08- Heavy damage. Will be used to make Unit 8+2.
Mark-09- Turned into psuedo evolved form, destroyed by Unit-02's self destruct.
Unit-10- Missing
Unit-11- Missing
Unit-12- Missing
Unit-13- Awakened, abandoned but apparently still intact.

So we have four missing Evangelions. It seems like Khara decided to go right to 13, maybe because it was the unlucky number? So if Unit-07 shows up it'll be lucky and good things will happen? But what happened to these Evas? Did they get destroyed during the time skip? Never finished? Or will we be seeing them at some point?
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Alpha
Adam

Re: (Spoileres) The M_______ E___

•      
  •      

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Mark-06- Possessed by 12th angel, absorbed by Unit-13.

Wait, Dai-Juusangouki absorbed Mark.06, too? I thought it only absorbed the Angel, and left the Eva headless, but otherwise untouched.
This is what nature planned. This is nature's sacrifice.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm

when it seemed like EVA 07 was the mysterious missing number, it showing up still seemed pretty likely, but now, I don't think we'll see the missing EVAs - they obviously skipped ahead for the sake, of well, thirteen, and probably to accentuate the time skip as well.

EVAs were built and destroyed, Rei clones came and went, two more angels came (the 11 never appearing at all), and Shinji missed it all.

It's like you fall into a coma when most phones weren't wireless yet, and when you wake up, everybody you know owns an iPhone.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 pm

View Original PostAlpha wrote:Wait, Dai-Juusangouki absorbed Mark.06, too? I thought it only absorbed the Angel, and left the Eva headless, but otherwise untouched.

AFAIK, it's not shown, but it's been assumed that's what happened by at least one of the folks who saw the movie. We probably won't know for sure until we have the BD and supplemental materials to scrutinize.

Unless Mark.06 was explicitly shown, on-screen, being absorbed into the mass of red goo, I'm personally not going to assume anything for now. If the Eva's ultimate fate was offscreen and "implied only", that means khara are leaving their options open.

Darkwing: Eva-08 doesn't actually seem that damaged. The arms got seared from contact with Eva-13, and the unit sustained a fall, but seems pretty whole overall. (I'm a bit baffled how Wille would be able to restore Eva-08 with what's left of Eva-02, too...)

I think Kendrix has the right of all: these Evas came and went during the timeskip. I don't think they're likely to crawl out of the woodworks for the next film. But, really, if it's useful for Final, it'll make an appearance, and to heck with any confusion we might feel over Evas showing up totally out of numerical order.

By the way, can anything be done about the title? There's probably something suitably vague that can be used -- just "Eva Series" or suchlike, maybe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 pm

View Original PostAlpha wrote:Wait, Dai-Juusangouki absorbed Mark.06, too? I thought it only absorbed the Angel, and left the Eva headless, but otherwise untouched.

Honestly I'm not sure myself. Can anyone help?

@ Kendrix. We may not get any explination about the missing Eva's, but unlike phones they are not easy to make, or destroy and haven't really gone obsolete. Wille somehow got their hands on Unit-08, but if they could have gotten any of the others, you'd think they'd either stick Asuka in them rather than use the damaged Unit-02 or break them down for spare parts and fix Unit-02 (like my parents did with a combine harvester.)

@ Reichui- Well the title is supposed to be The Missing Evas, done that way to avoid spoilers just by looking at the title. But if it's unwieldy and can be changed to something better, feel free. Maybe "Status of the Evangelion Units?" I wasn't sure how badly Unit-08 was damaged, but I figured if they were going to FrankenEva it, it had to be somewhat signifigant.

If this were Gundam, I'm sure we'd get a manga explaining all sorts of things about those missing Evas, and justifying model kits. Hell we might see the kits anyways.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah, WILLE isn't big on ressources, all they have is stolen and patched together.

So those missing EVAs were probably NERV or SEELE-affilated, and one can assume that Misato & co destroyed them offscreen.

(Misato: "We're gonna destroy all of NERV's EVAs!")

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:41 am

I would have to assume that up until this point Wille has been at least somewhat clandestine about it's anti- Nerv operations. They have the cover story of wanting to restore the earths oceans. I can't imagine that it would fool Gendo, so clearly it's not to decieve them. It's one of the things to me that implies there has to be someone other than Wille and Nerv left. And that cover is blown the moment they get caught smashing up Evas.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:19 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:I would have to assume that up until this point Wille has been at least somewhat clandestine about it's anti- Nerv operations. They have the cover story of wanting to restore the earths oceans. I can't imagine that it would fool Gendo, so clearly it's not to decieve them. It's one of the things to me that implies there has to be someone other than Wille and Nerv left. And that cover is blown the moment they get caught smashing up Evas.

Maybe Wille is relying on what's left of the general public and the government for funding? (like a charity NGO). That would explain the need for a cover story and why they have very little funding. Or maybe they put all the money into the Wunder?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:14 pm

In any case, it would really help if we knew just how much is left.

NERV HQ should be in one of the less hospitable regions, having been the epicenter...

Where exactly does the coverstory appear/where's it from? The booklet? In the translated script so far, they're only introduced to Shinji as a "Anti-Nerv-Organisation"...

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:45 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Eva-08 doesn't actually seem that damaged. The arms got seared from contact with Eva-13, and the unit sustained a fall, but seems pretty whole overall.

I'm not sure about it but it almost looks like it lost its arms, or at least the right one, from this screenshot of the camrip:
SPOILER: Show

Eva-02 is doing fairly well considering what happened, too bad plot didn't give the same treatment to Eva 05.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Alpha
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:20 am

Actually, if you look closely, both of Eva-08 arms are folded in front of its chest, covered in bandages. You can see the hands emerging at the sides.

It seems unlikely that it lost them, although they could just be packed together with it, I guess. Also, am I the only one that sees Eva-02 and its reminded of its mangled corpse from EoE?
This is what nature planned. This is nature's sacrifice.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:31 am

You're right, it was just my poor eyesight combined with the lack of details then.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Please explain the pictures to me, all i see are cigar shaped tubes.

But to answer the OP, look how many evas are in the ground using at field in this shot

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/vlcsnap2013011321h48m20.png/[/url]
ANATA BAKA !?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Er, okay. The first pic is a long curving line of things moving, as if a conveyor belt. I think I can make out Eva armor on it, or legs, or feet, or something. The second is a panning shot of a great many hands all arranged close to eachother.
what about the pic before those two? I though they were a lot of umbilical cable plugs, they are white and have "NERV" written on them.

Pyce
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pyce » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:what about the pic before those two? I though they were a lot of umbilical cable plugs, they are white and have "NERV" written on them.

I'm not really sure what they are, but here

Poop

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 pm

View Original PostPyce wrote:I'm not really sure what they are, but here

yes, that's the one! thanks!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:01 pm

View Original PostPyce wrote:I'm not really sure what they are, but here

Nerv staff bicycles.

Back to the Eva series, I think Seele00TextOnly is onto something. I've been quickly convinced since the camrip came out that the things seen in the Final preview aren't "activated Infinities" after all, but are being mass-produced anew at Nerv HQ during 3.0. Here are what appear to be heads:

Yep, compression and detail leaves much to be desired, but, from what I can make out, I can't imagine what else is going on in the shot. I'm nearly positive I see contours similar to Mark.06's helmet. Also similar to the models seen in the preview (hard to tell from that mess, but using eye-witness evidence from Blue Monday... XD ), there are no horns.

EDIT: Here's an Easter Egg from Anti-Goth:

And honsou commented (this is in IRC), "maybe there were attempted invasions of NERV".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Nerv staff bicycles.
facepalm! it's so clear now...

View Original PostReichu wrote:

How do you see heads there?? I mean all I see it's like the bases for some steel columns or something

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”