Evangelion 3.0 interviews (needs translation!)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. My laziness was right all along. This is taking way long than expected.

Just gonna add stuff as soon as I finish it.

Misato raw Japanese:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Evangelion_Q_Records_Collection#Kotono_Mitsuishi_as_Misato_Katsuragi

For the love of all things holy please don't just shove these through machine translators even if you're desperate.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:54 pm

The interview with the Kaworu VA alludes to "cycles" of Evangelion, not the sequel theory mind you. And according to his interview he got taken aside pretty early by Anno and knew a lot of what was coming while others were kept in the dark.

Maybe 3.33 wasn't just pulled out of a back pocket, so to speak...

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:52 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:

I'm probably the only person in the world who never thought it was.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Ritsuko, Gendo and Fuyutsuki OCRed and added.

Gonna need another full day to do Sakura and the 4 new bridge bunnies. Not sure when I'll have the will again...

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 am

View Original PostCharsi wrote:The interview with the Kaworu VA alludes to "cycles" of Evangelion, not the sequel theory mind you. And according to his interview he got taken aside pretty early by Anno and knew a lot of what was coming while others were kept in the dark.

The cyclic aspect was hinted at from the first film, but I highly doubt Khara had a solid idea of the 3.0 plot before 2.0 was completed.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:52 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:The cyclic aspect was hinted at from the first film, but I highly doubt Khara had a solid idea of the 3.0 plot before 2.0 was completed.

You mean they didn't have a solid idea of 4.0 by the time they were done with 2.0? (3.0 is basically the first half of 4.0)

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:56 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:The cyclic aspect was hinted at from the first film, but I highly doubt Khara had a solid idea of the 3.0 plot before 2.0 was completed.

No, probably not, but by the sounds of it Anno had some sort of a drastic "narrative break" idea from pretty early along. Maybe the timeskip, but not much more than that.

I'm curious what the early concept of Mark.06's involvement was, because i'm guessing the story's drifted pretty far from whatever that was.

It's all very interesting, and hasn't been helped by rumors posted as fact (eg. the supposed scrap and rewrite somewhere between 2 and 3).

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:46 am

View Original PostCharsi wrote:Nrumors posted as fact (eg. the supposed scrap and rewrite somewhere between 2 and 3).

I have still to see a single source for that.

99% of the time it's brought up it's people bitching how they didn't like Q and because of the preview and it taking so long things MUST have been scrapped at some point.

I fileit all under baseless nonsense until I see some proof.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:You mean they didn't have a solid idea of 4.0 by the time they were done with 2.0? (3.0 is basically the first half of 4.0)

I doubt they even had a solid idea of 4.0 before they were done with 3.0. They might not even be sure now.

Anno is all about making it up as he goes along. He always has been.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:57 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:I doubt they even had a solid idea of 4.0 before they were done with 3.0.

Anno is all about making it up as he goes along. He always has been.

We don't know the truth about how much plot they had done after 2.0, so you might be wrong or i am.

And Anno was making stuff up as he goes along while making the original series, not in rebuilt, because he has had much more time.

View Original PostChrad wrote:They might not even be sure now.

Okay...So blindly making these films...? That's a sign of a pretty bad filmmaker, and i don't think Anno is one of those.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:We don't know the truth about how much plot they had done after 2.0, so you might be wrong or i am.

And Anno was making stuff up as he goes along while making the original series, not in rebuilt, because he has had much more time.

Did you read the complete records collection interviews? Anno is totally making up Rebuild as he goes along.
Based on the available evidence and Anno's track record, I think it's the best explanation we have for the huge gulf between what was promised in the 3.0 preview and what we got.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Okay...So blindly making these films...? That's a sign of a pretty bad filmmaker, and i don't think Anno is one of those.

On the contrary, he's a great filmmaker for being able to create emotionally resonant work while basically winging it.
He was making up Nadia as he went along, then Evangelion, and he even went into shooting the ending of Shiki-Jitsu before finishing the script. It's just how he works.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Did you read the complete records collection interviews? Anno is totally making up Rebuild as he goes along.
Based on the available evidence and Anno's track record, I think it's the best explanation we have for the huge gulf between what was promised in the 3.0 preview and what we got.

That's true, but Ishida also suggests some things were planned, and in fact, while 3.33 has crazy new stuff like battleships etc, some parts of itresemble 1.11 stylistically a lot.

But in any case, it's just another sort of creative process.

Some writers, like most famously JKR write down a lot of background facts on everyone that they might not even use, for others, their creations are dynamic things that result from feedback and the developement of situation; It's a common easthetic in Japan, to "capture something fleeting".
Like, in Noh theaters (Jo-Ha-Q sheme says hi) they only rehearsed together once and then let every actor practive on their own, so the whole would come together spontaneously and uniquely.

The whole thing is stupid - if you have an idea that looks better to you than your initial one, why should you not use it simply because it wasn't your first one?
Changing your opinion when new evidence presents trumps stubbornly clinging to your old one, if you ask me.

I do hope that we will one day come to see some of the scrapped material, like we got all those alternate 2.0 scripts and storyboards and cut scenes, just out of curiosity.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Did you read the complete records collection interviews? Anno is totally making up Rebuild as he goes along.

Not the impression I got from his interview.

View Original PostChrad wrote:He was making up Nadia as he went along, then Evangelion, and he even went into shooting the ending of Shiki-Jitsu before finishing the script. It's just how he works.

There's a difference between making it up with no idea where you're going, and starting from a core idea and striking out on more interesting paths.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:40 pm

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Evangelion_Q_Records_Collection#Miyuki_Sawashiro_as_Sakura_Suzuhara

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:07 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Evangelion_Q_Records_Collection#Miyuki_Sawashiro_as_Sakura_Suzuhara

That whole interview page must've taken a while, good job! The Megumi interview was interesting I thought, shows how powerful 3.0 was for the people who worked on it.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:32 pm

And the bridge bunnies are up too. Now the cast interviews from the theatrical booklet are all transcribed into the wiki to sit there and never get translated.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:27 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:And the bridge bunnies are up too. Now the cast interviews from the theatrical booklet are all transcribed into the wiki to sit there and never get translated.

:(

Plz, anyone, moonspeak?

I should really learn moonspeak sometime soon, but the courses at my university are allways rather small and chock full in seconds...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Maybe try internet/other self-learning? That's what I keep threatening myself with because waiting for translations is getting just annoying enough to actually go through with that.

Ah Q
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ah Q » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Occasionally I wish I had cast my lot with Japanese rather than Chinese, but alas, it is too late . . .

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:20 pm

I love Evangelion, but would it make sense to spend so much time learning a language just to watch animes and understand interviews? I learned english almost without noticing, but as far as I know Japanese is very very difficult.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”