Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 pm

I have looked at that pic so many times and never realized the face was behind the blue cross in the third shot.

I thought the fourth pic (of just the face) was something that flashed by so fast it was subliminal.

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:32 pm

View Original PostRedMeteor wrote:I don't want to be spammy, but this is what i wanted to point out

SPOILER: Show

This forum and Anno's insanity never cease to amaze me.
Last edited by elemileTLDR on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xϵ{0,1} ; PI: x²=x ; PNC: x(1-x)=0 ; PEM: x+(1-x)=1 —Boole
If our gods and hopes became scientific matters, why wouldn't our love as well?...
I offer you a scientific Eve. Chimere by chimere, sin by sin.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:40 pm

The crosses aren't just an arteifact. They appear prominently on the sides of Asuka's entry pluf when she activates 777 mode in Q. I think the connection to the Bardiel cross here is obvious. Asuka has been permanently affected by the angel.

Recall that as she is being pulled down to the bottom of the plug, Asuka hears her own voice giggling. Moreover, as here face is being pulled open, you can clearly see Bardiel's signature "infection staples" appear on the sides of the tear. Asuka has been infected by Bardiel, and the effects have lasted beyond the Angel's death.

I would guess that the Angel was somehow using Asuka as a medium, perhaps trying to take on her form in order to control Eva-03. That's why it appears in her somewhat-likeness, and why Asuka remains "touched by a Angel" if you will.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Recall that as she is being pulled down to the bottom of the plug, Asuka hears her own voice giggling. Moreover, as here face is being pulled open, you can clearly see Bardiel's signature "infection staples" appear on the sides of the tear. Asuka has been infected by Bardiel, and the effects have lasted beyond the Angel's death.

Wait, what scene are you talking about?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wait, what scene are you talking about?

The scene in RedMeteor's pic, the one where Bardiel takes over during Eva-03's activation test.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:43 pm

To clarify things, yes, it is the scene in 2.0 as Asuka is being sucked down to the bottom of the plug, right before Eva-03 activates.

You can see see the staples as Asuka's face begins to tear. These staples appear later as Bardiel tries to infect Eva-01, and on Eva-03 itself.

Bardiel infection staples  SPOILER: Show

Staples on Asuka
[wkimg width=400]Eva2-22 C1201 12 face tear.jpg[/wkimg]
On Eva-01
[wkimg width=400]Eva2-22 C1003.jpg[/wkimg]
On Eva-03 itself
[wkimg width=400]File:Eva2-22 C0957.jpg[/wkimg]

Also present is the Bardiel "blue core" effect, but I'll make a post about that in another thread.

While we're on the topic, in case it hasn't come up before, I noticed that Asuka's Eva-03 plugsuit bears some similarity to Eva-02's 777 beast mode transformation
Plugsuit / Eva-02' similarities  SPOILER: Show

Eva-03 plugsuit
[wkimg width=400]Eva2-22 C1197.jpg[/wkimg]
777 Beast Mode
[wkimg width=400]Eva3-33 C1379 e rods.jpg[/wkimg]

Mari "The Beast" mode
[wkimg width=400]File:Eva2-22 C1517.jpg[/wkimg]

You can see that the 777 mode has eight "control rods", whereas the original had far more. Moreover, the pattern of the 777 rods is seen on the 03 plugsuit, albeit only on the front. The transparent abdomen of the 03 suit also bears some similarity to the armourless torso of Eva-02' after it transforms.

EDIT: To clarify the point I'm trying to make, I think the entire 777 beast mode _and_ Asuka's eyepatch result, in part, from whatever happened to her in Eva-03's entry plug.

P.S. As Eva-03's entry plug is destroyed, whose voice is heard screaming?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:While we're on the topic, in case it hasn't come up before, I noticed that Asuka's Eva-03 plugsuit bears some similarity to Eva-02's 777 beast mode transformation
Plugsuit / Eva-02' similarities  SPOILER: Show

Eva-03 plugsuit
[wkimg width=400]Eva2-22 C1197.jpg[/wkimg]
777 Beast Mode
[wkimg width=400]Eva3-33 C1379 e rods.jpg[/wkimg]

Mari "The Beast" mode
[wkimg width=400]File:Eva2-22 C1517.jpg[/wkimg]

You can see that the 777 mode has eight "control rods", whereas the original had far more. Moreover, the pattern of the 777 rods is seen on the 03 plugsuit, albeit only on the front. The transparent abdomen of the 03 suit also bears some similarity to the armourless torso of Eva-02' after it transforms.

EDIT: To clarify the point I'm trying to make, I think the entire 777 beast mode _and_ Asuka's eyepatch result, in part, from whatever happened to her in Eva-03's entry plug.

P.S. As Eva-03's entry plug is destroyed, whose voice is heard screaming?

It's probably Bardiel screaming (similar to Arael), since Asuka doesn't seem extremely injured when the plug is broken open. But it could be either of them.

I would also like to point out that there seems to be an amount of blue involved in Asuka's new plugsuit in Q:

Particularly the blue object in the solar plexus region where most plugsuits have a red circular object, the blue collar etc. Possibly another visual link to Bardiel?

And I'm nothing like you

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I would also like to point out that there seems to be an amount of blue involved in Asuka's new plugsuit in Q:

I only now realize...
[URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/elemile/media/asukablue_zpsbd36e02f.png.html]Image[/URL]
If our gods and hopes became scientific matters, why wouldn't our love as well?...
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

RedMeteor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RedMeteor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:46 am

View Original PostelemileTLDR wrote:I only now realize...
[URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/elemile/media/asukablue_zpsbd36e02f.png.html]Image[/URL]

That could be something lol. By the way, you have the coolest avatar

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

:facepalm: Well, fuck me. I noticed the collar, but I missed the pins. Shist.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:28 pm

See that's why I think the "Asuka is an Angel so Shinji has to kill her" theory is BS. She seems to flaunt the fact she is part Angel now. Every one is probably aware of it to. And if she was really acting as an Angel she would have had a perfect opportunity in 3 to grab the spear herself.

Even if she has Angel parts, I think Asuka is in full control of them and has been for 14 years. I think it is a non issue other than it makes her even more of a badass.

I will probably be proven wrong, but as a lot of people think that is bound to happen (Asuka being a full Angel), I am pretty sure Anno will not go that route because it is so obvious.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:08 pm

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:Even if she has Angel parts, I think Asuka is in full control of them and has been for 14 years. I think it is a non issue other than it makes her even more of a badass.

Yes. I said this after I saw 2.0 . Maybe there was a plan in the original script of 3.0 that instead of the Ep 22 mind-rape, there would be a scene where Asuka would meet the angel in her subconscious and proceed to tear it a new one.

She is an Angel/Human hybrid and if there was any doubt of her containment of it, given the treatment of Shinji in 3.0, she wouldn't be allowed on the same continent as Wille.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:24 am

I think it's a tad hasty to jump to the conclusion that she's part Angel. While there is certainly something strange going on with that eye socket of hers, we haven't eliminated every other possibility of what could really be going on there.

SSJ Spartan01
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SSJ Spartan01 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 am

I saw that "bullseye" pin on Asuka's hat as the actual Royal Airforce logo of England. Sort of like a subtle nod to a developed close friendship with Mari, which I really like.

I really can't understand the significance of what they're going for with Asuka's potentially Angel infected eye though. Anyone have any ideas?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:27 am

I guess it's a means of pulling off some sort of plot twist in Final, such as Asuka using her Angel powers to defeat Gendo, or Shinji having to kill Asuka because she's an Angel, or Asuka dying of contaimination or something. Either way, they definitely mean to do something about it, otherwise they wouldn't have put it in.

And I'm nothing like you

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 am

View Original PostSSJ Spartan01 wrote:I saw that "bullseye" pin on Asuka's hat as the actual Royal Airforce logo of England. Sort of like a subtle nod to a developed close friendship with Mari, which I really like.

I see. Thanks.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 am

This may have been mentioned but it is stated by Ritsuko that Asuka isn't infected physically while she's in containment. I mean there specifically looking for any trace of her being contaminated so it would be nearly impossible for her to be part angel. Though they did say its possible she could be psychologically infected which explains why it flares up when she's angry but i don't think its as big deal as people think it is. It could just be a wink to the end of eva injuries she has.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:16 am

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:This may have been mentioned but it is stated by Ritsuko that Asuka isn't infected physically while she's in containment. I mean there specifically looking for any trace of her being contaminated so it would be nearly impossible for her to be part angel. Though they did say its possible she could be psychologically infected which explains why it flares up when she's angry but i don't think its as big deal as people think it is. It could just be a wink to the end of eva injuries she has.

In EoE her eye didn't glow blue under the eyepatch. While the eyepatch is certainly reminiscent of EoE, we're discussing why Asuka's left eye happens to glow blue during Beast Mode and shortly after Shinji escapes Wille. Normal people's eyes don't do that, so Asuka has clearly been exposed to something non-human which has altered her left eye, and the only known instance is when she was attacked by Bardiel.

Furthermore, concept art shows that the development team went through many different effects for the glowing eye before selecting the blue cross-shaped light that appears in the movie, so they clearly meant to communicate something with it. Close inspection of the eyepatch itself reveals Angel-sealing-hex glyphs (the glyphs on the Angel-sealing hex pillars; these glyphs appear in several other places throughout 3.0), so it's definitely not a normal eyepatch and may be meant to contain whatever is under it.

And I'm nothing like you

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:00 am

True and that's defiantly something i'd prefer but i just cant help but think its Anno being Anno and wont resolve to anything, i really don't think she's some kind of angel hybrid (as cool as that would be) because it wouldn't really fit. I mean if it was really containing an Angel would Misato let her go running around?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:33 am

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:True and that's defiantly something i'd prefer but i just cant help but think its Anno being Anno and wont resolve to anything, i really don't think she's some kind of angel hybrid (as cool as that would be) because it wouldn't really fit. I mean if it was really containing an Angel would Misato let her go running around?

She's more than probably not containing an Angel since Bardiel died(broke down into blood, the rainbow), the more plausible explanation is that Asuka's close contact with him altered her and gave her some angelic characteristics : the blue glow of her eye is Asuka's eye glowing blue, a reaction of Asuka's body, not Bardiel inside Asuka manifesting himself.

I'm sure that when she awoke it wasn't all heart and flowers for her with this alteration, she probably got a similar kind of treatment than Shinji with a quarantine cell, armed guard, close analysis of her body, people constantly on their guard around her and who knows, maybe she even got to wear a DSS Choker for some time(and maybe she's still wearing one, explaining why she seems to prefer high-collared clothes). Maybe that's why she was so mad that Shinji escaped with ReiQ : while she stoically bore everyone's suspicions and fears until she managed to gain back their trust, Shinji ran away at first opportunity, even if their situation isn't exactly the same(Rei Q appeared at the worst possible moment during Shinji's briefing and Gendo counted on it, besides he's not only suspected of having gained angelic characteristics but has been declared guilty of mass genocide!), but empathy seems to have been on very short supply these past 14 years and Shinji not exactly being a model of selflessness(and mental stability) didn't helped.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”