Filling the gap

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm

It's an interesting theory, but I don't know as it's accurate. Seele may want an upset Shinji (assuming he factors much into their plans) But Kaworu does not, and he's pretty much the one who forces Shinji to face that he did this. I don't think he'd be telling Shinji he did this if it wasn't somehow the resault Shinji's actions. Although trying to figure out how the fuck all that shit went down in one go is not meshing well either, so I don't think it was all one contingiounous go.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:08 am

I guess the only assumption we could build off that is that Kaworu was lied to again, hence the whole king of the lillin section of dialogue (if I remember correctly). Also, not sure where to put this question, but on the side was it just me or did Yui have wings of light when she was doing the contact experiment?
No weapon against us shall prosper

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:29 am

View Original Postsum_exsanguis wrote:I guess the only assumption we could build off that is that Kaworu was lied to again, hence the whole king of the lillin section of dialogue (if I remember correctly). Also, not sure where to put this question, but on the side was it just me or did Yui have wings of light when she was doing the contact experiment?

That's actually some sort of brightly-lit apparatus attached to the back of her Dive Suit, seemingly to lower her into the core (for more about this you can read the "Yui in 3.0 and Beyond" thread). In the close-up shots you can see it's mechanical, not made of energy or light. They aren't really Wings of Light, although now that you mention it they do resemble the Wings Lilith/GNR extends during EoE a bit. In the TV series the Dive Suit had wings as well, they were just smaller and not (apparently) lit up like a Christmas tree.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeah I'm sorry I should of elaborated more, I didn't mean actual wings of light, just they they looked like Unit 01 wings from the EoE.
No weapon against us shall prosper

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But given that an Eva may in extremis break out of its armour, does its self image necessarily include it?

(Actually, on second thoughts, I can't recall whether that happens in Rebuild or not.)

Unit 02 breaks out of the shoulder pylons it has when Beast Mode get's activated and when Unit 01 awakens and begins floating upwards it also breaks off the remaining shoulder pylon and the chest armor.

Reborn Upright
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Reborn Upright » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:07 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Well, so far the general consensus is that they are the citizens of Tokyo-3, trnasformed into Eva-like beings by Third Impact (complete with armor, pylons and knuckledusters). After Third Impact they remained dormant, but when Lilith awakened, they tried to reach her for unknown reasons. Personally I believe that their motivations were mixed, similar to the Angels: some wanted to merge with Lilith and cause Fourth Impact, others possibly wanted her to somehow return them to human form. Either way they couldn't reach her because of the huge seal over Central Dogma.

Due to not possessing a Fruit of Life or giant power cable, the lifespans of the Failures are incredibly short, thus they died and froze in place shortly after activating. Some got further than others, which is why many can be found around Lilith's severed head and in the Central Dogma shaft.

The FOI smack of an experiment gone wrong. Assuming 3I is part of that experiment, it's almost like instead of merging everyone's soul in to one God-like form, it instead gave every individual a God-like form.

I don't know, I'm thinking about this within the paradigm of EvaTV again, in a way. The FOI really throw me more than just about anything in this film.
Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:10 pm

The quickening Eva-08 and its pilot

We've been thinking about Quickening in the first foetus movement meaning but maybe it's another type of Quickening?

The Quickening is a phenomenon in the Highlander films and television series. Beheading a character known as an "Immortal" produces a powerful energy release from their body called a "Quickening."[1]

Lead actor in the television series, Adrian Paul, explained, "The Quickening is the receiving of all the power and knowledge another immortal has obtained throughout his/her life. It is like the receiving of a sacrament or a massive orgasm."[2] The series producers stated, "The power of the Quickening is the equivalent to a major electrical storm hitting -- windows explode, lights short circuit, it is almost as if the victorious Immortal is in the center of a lightning storm."[3]

[edit]Description

In the Highlander universe, the energy released by a Quickening is absorbed by the Immortal responsible for the beheading. The series producers explained that if "an Immortal is decapitated by something other than the sword of the Immortal he was fighting, (...) what we thought was, as long as an Immortal is present, he gets the Quickening."[4] If an Immortal is beheaded and there is no Immortal nearby to receive the Quickening (if, for example, the beheader is a mortal), then the Quickening dissipates without effect.[citation needed]. The series producers have also revealed that, "if there is no Immortal present, then the Quickening just goes to the Source,"[4] but it is not known yet what the "Source" exactly is.

Unit-00 got (kinda) beheaded by Zeruel during 2.22, the angel absorbed unit-00, then awakened unit-01 absorbed the angel...

Lillith gets beheaded at some point after 2.22 and before 3.0

Mark.06, Mark.09 and Kaworu get beheaded during 3.0

In the case of Mark.06 a shapeless (energy?) angel is released and absorbed by awakened eva-13 (immortal)

Absorbing the power and knowledge? getting the fruit and absorbing the soul?

The immortal is in the center of a storm? triggering an impact is like being in the eye (center) of the storm with the vortex door of guf thing behind.

The energy (soul?) of an immortal going back to the "source" (seed of life's chamber of guf) when not absorbed by another immortal (probably what happens to the souls when something dies, maybe this is why all the angels need to be exterminated)

Also the Immortals use swords and there's a common motif with the swords/lances in evangelion.

Does anyone know if Anno is a fan of Highlander?

Could this be mere coincidences?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 am

A Japanese director interested in an old English franchise about Scotland which is completely in English... I can't see it happening. Was it very popular in Japan at some point?

And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Was it very popular in Japan at some point?
Apparently so -- there was an anime film.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:13 am

The fact that Mari seems to be familiar with the Twelfth Angel's entire body being a core while Asuka evidently doesnt know about it (and subsequently wastes a lot of ammo trying to shoot it) suggests to me that when the Twelfth Angel appeared Asuka was still in quarantine (or at least not around), and she may not have fought the Eleventh Angel either. Mari may have killed the Eleventh Angel and fought the Twelfth, which is why she knows it is pointless to try and shoot the Twelfth.

And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:A Japanese director interested in an old English franchise about Scotland which is completely in English...

As an extension of what Tines noted, it looks like the original series was released in Japan.

So, that's a very interesting post, K40s. Might want that cross-linked in the references thread so it doesn't get lost here.

Eva 04 wrote:when Unit 01 awakens and begins floating upwards it also breaks off the remaining shoulder pylon and the chest armor.

Actually, the left shoulder pylon is still there on Eva-01's "god" form.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:We've been thinking about Quickening in the first foetus movement meaning but maybe it's another type of Quickening?

Unit-00 got (kinda) beheaded by Zeruel during 2.22, the angel absorbed unit-00, then awakened unit-01 absorbed the angel...

Lillith gets beheaded at some point after 2.22 and before 3.0

Mark.06, Mark.09 and Kaworu get beheaded during 3.0

In the case of Mark.06 a shapeless (energy?) angel is released and absorbed by awakened eva-13 (immortal)

Absorbing the power and knowledge? getting the fruit and absorbing the soul?

The immortal is in the center of a storm? triggering an impact is like being in the eye (center) of the storm with the vortex door of guf thing behind.

The energy (soul?) of an immortal going back to the "source" (seed of life's chamber of guf) when not absorbed by another immortal (probably what happens to the souls when something dies, maybe this is why all the angels need to be exterminated)

Also the Immortals use swords and there's a common motif with the swords/lances in evangelion.

Does anyone know if Anno is a fan of Highlander?

Could this be mere coincidences?

So by your theory, the one who absorbed Kaworu's and Mark.06 energy is... Shinji?! So in FINAL he becomes a Super Saiyan able to fly, project AT-Fields and shoots lasers from his hands? Who needs an EVA when you have the power of a GOD! :devil:

Getting back on topic, I'm really curious on why it has been decided to sent EVA-01(and thus Shinji and Rei) in a sort of Space Prison, and mostly HOW they did it : in NGE they weren't able to retrieve the Lance of Longinius which was orbiting Earth(or it was the Moon?)... but they can send a 150 meters tall humongous mecha on orbit in his special wrapping?!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:58 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Iin NGE they weren't able to retrieve the Lance of Longinius which was orbiting Earth(or it was the Moon?)... but they can send a 150 meters tall humongous mecha on orbit in his special wrapping?!
Well.....Technology surely evolves in 14 years. Right?

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm really curious on why it has been decided to sent EVA-01(and thus Shinji and Rei) in a sort of Space Prison.

So that we would be spared from another impact? And they probably sent it to space to wait for the right time.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Well.....Technology surely evolves in 14 years. Right?

I really doubt that technology could really advance after an apocalypse that wiped out almost all of mankind, I think the key information missing here is how much time after 2.0 final EVA-01 was sent in space, maybe that was the week after, or maybe first EVA-01 spent 10 years locked up in Terminal Dogma for what we know...

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:So that we would be spared from another impact? And they probably sent it to space to wait for the right time.
But then, why didn't they just blew up EVA-01, here they would have been sure.
Well Gendo and SEELE's reason for not doing it are evident, but the rest of the cast surely should have found this curious, although in retrospect maybe that's when most of NERV staff began to question their commander and started to drift away, which ultimately culminated by the discovery of NERV's true intention and the formation of WILL-E.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Do we know when Wille was formed? They've only just acquired Wunder, as their first battle in it is undertaken without even having completed tests on it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Do we know when Wille was formed? They've only just acquired Wunder, as their first battle in it is undertaken without even having completed tests on it.

They probably couldn't complete tests because they didn't have the missing piece: an Eva that could function as the control system and power source.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:They probably couldn't complete tests because they didn't have the missing piece: an Eva that could function as the control system and power source.

What, exactly, was so special about Unit-01 for the job? Couldn't they have spared one of the Unit-08s for the job?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:What, exactly, was so special about Unit-01 for the job? Couldn't they have spared one of the Unit-08s for the job?

...There was more than one Eva-08? Are you going meta on me?

Anyway, more info here and here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:01 pm

No, I'm not going Meta on you. I may, however, be incorrectly interpreting this photo:
SPOILER: Show

The units appear to be physically different, in addition to the character after their designations. Does this refer to another unit entirely, or merely an armor change?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Does this refer to another unit entirely, or merely an armor change?

Eva-08 got an upgrade from alpha to beta after Operation US.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”