Rei in 3.0 and Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:03 pm

In Nerv ruins, where Rei "room" is, the pit that is next to it is the same thing where Rei goes naked inside the individual fishtank, wasn't this part of central dogma?

In the scene where Rei is naked inside the fishtank she sees another Rei in school uniform outside the fish tank, this I think is one of the quantum Rei's that Shinji sees at the beginning when arriving to Tokio-3 (this definitly happens in NGE, can't recall if it happes in NME 1.11 too)...

is the quantum Rei outside the fishtank pointing out to a NME 4.44 Rei god hybrid as in EoE or are these quantum Rei's the result of the blob Rei in NME 3.33 sending Rei's to the past and future as in EoE?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:12 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:ReiQ's little musical theme is still called "L'Apôtre de la Lune"...

The title is clearly referring to Kaworu (the "Apostle/Angel of the Moon"), and Hyper Shinchan previously pointed out that the theme is in fact used for a Kaworu/Shinji scene.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:29 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The title is clearly referring to Kaworu (the "Apostle/Angel of the Moon"), and Hyper Shinchan previously pointed out that the theme is in fact used for a Kaworu/Shinji scene.

Well, I didn't notice it before but a track called "L'Apôtre de la Lune" is actually used for both characters, Kendrix and others are referring to the "2 pianos" version (track 6 of the first CD) which is played at around 36:00 of the film, while I was referring to the "orchestre corde" version (track 10 of the first CD) which is played at around 1:00:00.
This is kinda confusing, isn't it? Are they both Angels of the Moon and maybe the Black Moon and White Moon still play a role? So far Rei lacks direct connections to the Moon inside the work itself though.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Are they both Angels of the Moon and maybe the Black Moon and White Moon still play a role?

This suggestion seems to iron out the conflicts well enough. :thumbsup:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Then the two will merge, making the Grey moon... And Shinji's ultimate dream person.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Guys, did any of you catch the scene of Rei Q observing the cassette player that Shinji drops while Asuka is dragging him? Do you think she picked it up? For some reason, I think she did. Maybe there was something about it that drew her to it. Perhaps it may very well contain Rei II's soul. I know, it seems very stupid and it has to be the worst type of fanwankering but I simply can't help but feel that viewers were suppose to get something out of the scene. It was very subtle but I think it had slightly deeper meaning.

Maybe (emphasis on maybe) Evangelion 4.0 will reveal that Rei's soul was indeed in Shinji's SDAT player after all, and possibly merge with Rei Q's body and restore her completely only to initiate the 4th impact and tang everyone into Instrumentality. God, know that would suck for Shinji and everybody else.

;)

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

A point I found interesting was when ReiQ was inside the Mark 09, which was taken over by Seele and stared merging with the Wunder, she's questioning herself what would Rei Ayanami do in that situation, and I think Mari answers you can do whatever you want, and ReiQ chooses to eject herself.

It's like the turning point for ReiQ, she does something for herself not following orders, she takes a choice, self-preservation or maybe she didn't want to be inside the Mark 09 when she had no control of it.

Before that there's the point where she starts questioning who she is, realizing that she's a clone.

Maybe we're seeing the beginning of ReiQ developing a personality for herself like Rei II did??

Anyway, I want to nominate ReiQ for the "Most clueless character award", who am I? what is that? I don't know, ._.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 pm

No, that was Asuka who "converses" with Rei while in beast mode and then after being told "Do whatever the hell you want" or something like that, Rei Q makes the decision to eject herself from Mark.09

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:16 pm

I figure Rei Q probably wasn't activated all that long ago. She really doesn't know anything. And even then who's there for her to interact with? Nerv is basicly Gendo, Fuyu, and Kaworu. I suspect that by this point Gendo isn't getting attached to the Ayanami series as he's been going through them so fast. Shinji starts interacting with her because at first he thinks she's poka Rei. But she's not. Basicly she's got to discover herself. What she likes, dislikes, and learn to be herself. And she has the shadow of Poka Rei hanging over her, at least where Shinji is concerned. Hell look at her actual official name. "Tenative name: Rei Ayanami" wasn't it? She doesn't even have her own name. I kinda hope that in Final she'll start going by another name. And as much as I love Poka Rei, I hope that Rei Q doesn't have her soul move in and take over, because that isn't fair to Rei Q.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 pm

You say that she wasn't activated a long time ago? Is it the same as being created?

I always thought that when ReiQ was created, she was first a toddler, just like any other regular human being. Hence the 14 year time skip grew her to be 14 years old biologically. It was at the same time that Shinji just happen to awake these 14 years and see ReiQ.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:She really doesn't know anything. And even then who's there for her to interact with? Nerv is basicly Gendo, Fuyu, and Kaworu. I suspect that by this point Gendo isn't getting attached to the Ayanami series as he's been going through them so fast. Shinji starts interacting with her because at first he thinks she's poka Rei. But she's not. Basicly she's got to discover herself. What she likes, dislikes, and learn to be herself. And she has the shadow of Poka Rei hanging over her, at least where Shinji is concerned. Hell look at her actual official name. "Tenative name: Rei Ayanami" wasn't it? She doesn't even have her own name. I kinda hope that in Final she'll start going by another name. And as much as I love Poka Rei, I hope that Rei Q doesn't have her soul move in and take over, because that isn't fair to Rei Q.

You act like it didn't happen to Rei III until all the Rei personalities merged into one anyways.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:You say that she wasn't activated a long time ago? Is it the same as being created?

I always thought that when ReiQ was created, she was first a toddler, just like any other regular human being. Hence the 14 year time skip grew her to be 14 years old biologically. It was at the same time that Shinji just happen to awake these 14 years and see ReiQ.
this makes sense, but I guess people take into consideration the reiquarium from NGE where you'd see many 14 years old Rei replacements.

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:this makes sense, but I guess people take into consideration the reiquarium from NGE where you'd see many 14 years old Rei replacements.

Ah, didn't know that. Another flaw of not watching NGE and going to straight to Rebuild. Then again, Rebuild is supposed to be separate.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 pm

In the shogi scene with Fuyutsuki at one part there's a bunch of tubes shown with Reis in them. The tubes are facing away from us so you see the tops of their heads.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 pm

View Original PostAnonymous_Evafan wrote:You act like it didn't happen to Rei III until all the Rei personalities merged into one anyways.

Rei III I had a different POV on. In her case I figured she really was just not remembering things at first, but still had the same soul. Shinji was freaking out too much about everything. Of course her personality is different, so, yeah I dunno. Where as Rei Q is stated not to have the soul of Poka Rei, witch is in Unit-01, and Shinji tries to make her remember, but it's futile.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote: "Tenative name: Rei Ayanami" wasn't it? .

i have to watch again but im sure somewhere in the beginning Shinji is labeled tentative Shinji. what does that imply ?
ANATA BAKA !?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 am

I dislike how Shinji isn't willing to treat ReiQ as a person, just because she's not Poka Poka Rei. Towards the end he's all "She isn't even Ayanami". Kaworu, sadly, does not do much to stop this. I doubt Shinji will want to get with ReiQ, especially since he's now seemingly numb to all external stimuli.

At the beginning Shinji is labelled "Tentative Name: Shinji Ikari" because they're not sure whether he really is Shinji or just some weird creature that crawled out of Eva-01's core with Shinji's body. But since we have no indication of anything contrary after Wille's extensive testing, it probably is really Shinji.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 am

But why is Rei "tentative"? If she's just another clone, why don't they know what they made?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I dislike how Shinji isn't willing to treat ReiQ as a person, just because she's not Poka Poka Rei. Towards the end he's all "She isn't even Ayanami".

It's not that he's not willing to treat her as a person, it's that he realizes they're not the same one.
These are different things.
He also barely had any time to react to that realization/ lots of other things to worry about, like the entire I-accidentally-wrecked-the-planet thing.
Once he pieces together that ReiII is gone and what he's talking to is a clone, his initial reaction is of course going to be mainly "My girlfriend's dead and I failed to save her!" not to mention "So, not only did my first attempt to stand up for myself, by honest with my motivations and really try result in the anihilation of the biosphere, It was all for naught!" and all the implications that come with it, such as "All I can do is break things, I didn't even accomplish one single good thing."
It's not just about losing "his" Rei, which in itself is quite a blow, I mean, he loved her enough to give his life for her, but also about his belief in his fundamental ability do do something good for others/go on living, due to how it's linked to the whole biosphere extinction thing.
The destruction and everyone hating him are substance of the cake, but Rei, being unable to protect Rei is the cherry on top of it.
He would have to be very strong to swallow down an initial reaction of this magnitude and consider ReiQ's situation first. And he isn't.

He has yet to find the the time/opportunity to even sit down and think about what he's gonna do about that whole new person there. Or to calm down sufficiently for that sort of reflection to be possible.

Every time after the reveal, you get the feeling that he's unsure what to call her. "Why aren't we alone?" Instead of asking directly "Why is Rei here" and "Wouldn't that other pilot work just as well for this?" - Note his voice when he says that, it's awkward, not despective, he's got "Ayanami" reversed for the one he knows, so he doesn't know what to call the other one.

What this is meant to show us is that he meant business when he told "his" Rei that she's irreplaceable to him - Cut him some slack, ReiQ only began showing signs of having actual feeligs that he probably hurt after that line of hers set off some introspective thoughts in her.
To that point, her behavior was completely empty-shell-like.
Giving up on her and concluding there's nothing inside is the reasonable thing to do, given the lack of response so far.

It's not like he went all Vertigo on her and ordered her to behave like ReiII.
If you consider his situation, he handled it relatively well, all things considered. Personally, I was positively surprised by Shinji at various points of this movie... as hollow as this sounds given the sheer bleakness of the general situation and his screwup at the end.
He kept trying for quite a while (throughout the movie, we see those many scenes of him bringing her those books/comming to see her), and even after he finds out what the deal is, he goes to her one more time, as if to confirm for himself what this really means.
And his reaction to her... origins was also relatively understated, he's less "I hugged WHAT?" and more focussed on the actual point of "I failed to save her" and the entire planet-flattening affair, which we will hopefully all agree are the points he should be focussing on, as utterly incapable of actually processing them as he may be...

Does he have an obligation to form any sort of relationship with a complete stranger that he only just met and so far, hasn't shown any interest in interacting with him?
Yeah, it's not her fault so it was less than ideal that she ended up at the recieving end of his outburst, but it's not like he got particularly accusing or vitriolic, it's really just restricted to "I though you were her and you weren't."

Oh, on another note, the entire upper design of the tube hall, complete with the star-like structure on top of it was already seen in that deleted scene from 2.0. Remember?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I dislike how Shinji isn't willing to treat ReiQ as a person, just because she's not Poka Poka Rei.

I never got the idea he wasn't acknowledging her as a person, he was simply angry that she wasn't actually the Rei he knew. How would you feel if you thought you had saved someone you loved, only to find out the person that found you wasn't the same. They were just a clone, someone who looked the same but was an entirely different person. You probably would be pissed too and most certainly would not want to call him or her by the name of the person that you used to know.

On that note, I wonder if Rei II will return for the final. She's currently trapped in the Eva unit 01 as far as we can tell, which was also where Shinji was until Wille dragged him out. Perhaps Rei II will return to bring about the Human Instrumentality Project.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”