3.0's Developmental History

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
os189
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby os189 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:2.0 was 108 minutes before the extended scenes in 2.22 boosted it to 112 minutes. We could expect the same change in duration for the same reasons between 3.0 and a possible 3.xx.

Q felt much shorter than Ha. It's only 95 minutes long, and most of it is Shinji alone or with Kaworu.

It's not 106 minutes long. That run time is including the Ghibli short that plays before the movie.

In the official booklet the running time is listed as 95 minutes.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:I doubt it, given how keen he was on the idea of Shinji and Rei attaining salvation through 2.0's climax.

Enokido has a script collaboration credit for 3.0 and only things that obviously smell of Enokido to me are the time skip thing and Wille battleship stuff ("smell" as in "Enokido gushes about his latest rad idea to rest while waving hands furiously") but because the battleship stuff is also very Nadia and very obviously plays on Anno's notorious Yamato fetishism I'd say chances of him coming up with that shit are higher.

So this leaves me "lol timeskip guise tis cool amirite" as the most likely Enokido contribution. Of course we don't know before next CRC.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Enokido has a script collaboration credit for 3.0 and only things that obviously smell of Enokido to me are the time skip thing and Wille battleship stuff ("smell" as in "Enokido gushes about his latest rad idea to rest while waving hands furiously") but because the battleship stuff is also very Nadia and very obviously plays on Anno's notorious Yamato fetishism I'd say chances of him coming up with that shit are higher.

Surely the battleship wank is all Anno, come on. Honestly if I had to pick and choose most Enokido-y parts I would point to Shinji wandering the ruined city, playing piano with Kaworu etc. since this is the most deliberately fairy-taleish and surreal Eva's surface narrative has ever gotten. It's pure Adolescence of Utena type shit and its general lack of, well, any major plot elements beyond lonely wandering and homolust absolutely scream Enokido to me.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Surely the battleship wank is all Anno, come on. Honestly if I had to pick and choose most Enokido-y parts I would point to Shinji wandering the ruined city, playing piano with Kaworu etc. since this is the most deliberately fairy-taleish and surreal Eva's surface narrative has ever gotten. It's pure Adolescence of Utena type shit and its general lack of, well, any major plot elements beyond lonely wandering and homolust absolutely scream Enokido to me.

I don't really agree. The piano playing thing and most of dialogue etc. I've taken a look at just develops on motives and ideas that were always there in ep 24. Only the star gazing thing etc. feels more "fairy taleish" but it could be straight out from Makoto Shinkai too so I don't feel too confident on saying it's very Enokido thing.

I already mentioned it in other thread but a lot about slightly surreal emptyness of 3.0, ruined city etc. actually remind me a lot of Shiki Jitsu which is exactly in this kind of moody, wandering around abandoned city mood while Satiesque piano pieces play in the background a lot.

I'm not saing Enokido couldn't or didn't contribute to these parts of script too but the Shinji/Kaworu drama is overall pretty familiar territory and not enough of a "wild card" idea to count as Enokido's solution to story development deadlock like 2.0's climax was.

Now if first 3.0 resembled the teaser trailer a lot more but Anno couldn't get it to work satisfactorily in his head for one reason or another? I can see Enokido pulling "lol timeskip" out of his proverbial ass more easily than anyone else. It's not outside Anno's trollingness either but if the "first version scrapped midway through production" idea holds any truth to it that means obviously he didn't come up with timeskip idea initially.

edit: I guess it wasn't obvious but the reason I thought of Enokido re: Wille ship and all are visuals mostly. The ship is like something out of Diebuster (in my eyes).

Noriko is my wife
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Noriko is my wife » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:edit: I guess it wasn't obvious but the reason I thought of Enokido re: Wille ship and all are visuals mostly. The ship is like something out of Diebuster (in my eyes).

I agree that it looks Diebuster-ish but Enokido wouldn't really have anything to do with that. It will be interesting to see who designed it. Maybe it's Shigeto Koyama which could explain the similarities.

Whether Anno came up with the battleship stuff or not it's very Anno-like either way. I could swear you said something along the line of Anno introducing it because he was jealous of Izubuchi in another thread. Which makes sense. (Speaking of Izubuchi, he said he decided to do Yamato because Anno was busy and if Anno couldn't do it that left him to get it right. :lol:)

Rei in Q feels like going in the complete opposite direction from what Enokido wanted. In the CRC interview Anno said that Tsurumaki had originally wanted to develop Rei 3 in NME so this part could come from him.

The Piano stuff I think could come from Maeda. In Gankutsuou Eugénie plays piano and if I recall correctly there was some plot point around this. Gala his Genius Party short was centered around music as well.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:31 pm

View Original PostNoriko is my wife wrote:Whether Anno came up with the battleship stuff or not it's very Anno-like either way.

Does this answer the question?

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-25/evangelion-anno-storyboards-yamato-2199-opening[/url]

Seriously its probably 90% likely that Anno came up with the idea for the AAA Wunder and WILLE's armada of destroyers, cruisers, battleships and aircraft carriers.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Well we know that their is some definite love for ships in Eva's development backstory. Look at how many charecters get their names from old vessels. So I guess this is just some author appeal making it's way into his works.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 am

My impression is that a lot of the "fairy-tale" elements, such as the piano playing, the ruined city and even the suggestion of a musical duet, may be traced as far back as the early development of the Kaworu character, IIRC (the infamous ep.24 drafts....)
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 pm

View Original PostNoriko is my wife wrote:Maybe it's Shigeto Koyama which could explain the similarities.

I like how this guy is likely culprit for nearly all retarded things in anime I like almost by default, from slutsuits to Star Driver

View Original PostNoriko is my wife wrote: I could swear you said something along the line of Anno introducing it because he was jealous of Izubuchi in another thread. Which makes sense. (Speaking of Izubuchi, he said he decided to do Yamato because Anno was busy and if Anno couldn't do it that left him to get it right. :lol:)

yeah I said that :lol:

When it comes to directing anime remake of Yamato Anno is no explanation needed go to guy and I'm sure if he were not busy with Rebuild he'd be directing 2199 right now. Izubuchi is just as clearly the go to guy when Anno is unavalaible.

Though I find it funny he apparently made that very same comment himself :hahaha:

View Original PostNoriko is my wife wrote:The Piano stuff I think could come from Maeda. In Gankutsuou Eugénie plays piano and if I recall correctly there was some plot point around this. Gala his Genius Party short was centered around music as well.

The art designs etc. in the piano scene found from camrip are pure Maeda. I said this at the time the psychedelic piano teaser came out and it's always fun to see I was likely correct about this all along.

There was a plot thread in Gankutsuou about Eugenie's piano playing, yeah.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Maeda also worked on episode 9 of Eva as well, the one with the Shinji/Asuka battle-duet.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:45 pm

well yeah but there's pretty much nothing Maeda about it

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

I don't know enough about his works to make a judgment, but the idea behind learning to play music together, synchronizing together, and the video clip of Kaworu and Shinji donning their plug suits reminded me of that episode.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:56 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:I don't know enough about his works to make a judgment, but the idea behind learning to play music together, synchronizing together, and the video clip of Kaworu and Shinji donning their plug suits reminded me of that episode.

'mm, but it's also very Anno thing. If eps 8 and 9 reflect presence of other staff members in addition to Anno strongly (whose presence is heavy even on the one ep he didn't personally write) it would be Shinji Higuchi whose lighthearted touch clearly left mark on eps that introduced Asuka.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:well yeah but there's pretty much nothing Maeda about it

I think he did the designs for Gaghiel and Israfel, at least...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:I don't know enough about his works to make a judgment

You might be able to find some info here: http://www.evamonkey.com/platinum-booklets/episode-commentaries-07-13.php
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

[SPOILERS] Theory on the production of Eva 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm

As you all are probably aware by now, Eva 3.0 has stirred up a lot of controversey lately after its release. There are some fans who either
(a) enjoyed the whole movie overall, like me, and the mystery behind the characters anger and misery, or
(b) hated the film for its plotholes and lack of characterization.

While I prefer to be left in the dark, and wait for my answers in 4.0, I can't deny the fact that Anno and his staff might have gone through some last second changes to produce this film in anticipation for the final film.

He probably realized that his "true" ending was shorter than he expected, and decided to add the original scenes of Eva 3.0 into the final film (ex. 3.0 teaser at end of 2.0). The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to add the character back stories and past events into the final film, since it can help establish a better story. I think he's going to use episode 21 of the original series as a way of telling each back story and past event between 2.0 and 3.0 in the first half of the fourth film, while then focusing on the present story for the 2nd half. I believe that 3.0 was produced to establish certain plot points that the fourth film can build on for its final story, and in my opinion, I think its payed off so far.

What do you all think?
Eva Rebirth

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm

It blows my mind thinking about how many scripts Khara would've gone through before they settled on the final one.

They definitely picked the one that would've thrown audiences off completely. No body saw that coming.

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Which makes me believe that they probably should've made this film series a trilogy instead of a quadrilogy.
Eva Rebirth

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Tetralogy** and I think you forgot group C...the group of people who are along for the ride. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the theorizing and all, but I'm not gonna sweat much until at least a BD release or something where we can see it exactly. When squinting to see what is and what isn't it is hard for me to overly commit.
No weapon against us shall prosper

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

Do You Think It's True?

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 pm

When it comes to certain stories, I'm a behind the scenes type guy. Basically, I like to know stuff like the director/author, what made them to maker their story...etc.

Right now two rumors about the behind the scenes things of Rebuild.

1st, It is said that Anno scrapped the production of Q mid way to make what we have now.
2nd, That the reason the DVD was released so quickly was to get to work on Final quicker.

I find these two rumors plausible. First off, the release dates between 2.22 and Q are three years apart, while 1.11 and 2.22 are two years. This could be because the first two movies were closer to the original series, and Anno was doing something new for Q this time around, but I find both reasons to be possible.

Secondly, if the 1st rumor is true, than the second rumor is more than likely. I mean, why release these DVDs so early? Unless it's a merchandiser thing.

But what do you guys think of this?
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”