"Curse of Eva"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Viking
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Viking » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Long time no see... BTW

After reading the key points of Q's story I have to ask, where do we know Asuka hasn't been in a coma during the last 14 years?

I mean, maybe I missed one of the last posts, but at the end of 2.0 Asuka was in a containment facility down in the NERV's cellar...

May I have a few pointers?

Bye
俺は素人でもない。スペシャリストだ![ フルメタル

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Keep in mind that the person in the background might be Mari's mother.

She said "I don't like working with adults" - that implies she wasn't one in 2.0.

aparently, she got over her trust-issues off-screen.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:45 pm

An alternate possibility I just thought of, if we're still not certain that the cause is officially LCL:

When 2.0 came out, there was some speculation that all three of the *nami girls were somehow created like Rei, with the naming scheme being a hint towards it. Rei's aging seems to be a controlled process, particularly based on how it worked in NGE.

You see where I'm going with this.

I don't necessarily like the idea, but it's one possibility.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am

View Original PostViking wrote:After reading the key points of Q's story I have to ask, where do we know Asuka hasn't been in a coma during the last 14 years?

I mean, maybe I missed one of the last posts, but at the end of 2.0 Asuka was in a containment facility down in the NERV's cellar...

I don't recall anything about Asuka being in a coma, but on top of being in a coma doesn't mean you don't age, Mari wasn't in a coma and she looks the same as from 2.0.

The LCL exposure stuff sort of reminds me of the exposure from being in the Tardis from Doctor Who.

os189
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby os189 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:24 am

I always assumed Mari was just a few years older than the others....cause her uniform looks more High School and cause she seems more wise and worldly than the others.

I know the whole "only 14 year olds can pilot Evas with the soulds of their dead mothers" thing from the original series, but I just assumed they threw that out with lots of other stuff for rebuild.

I guess it's officially confirmed somewhere on Mari's official bio that she was 14 in "Ha"? I must have missed that...changes my perception of her, if so.

Chaos Pudding
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chaos Pudding » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 am

Since LCL is harvested from Lilith, and Lilith is an Angel (well, sorta), could we assume that the reason that pilots no longer age is because they are slowly starting to be transformed at a cellular level into something akin to actual Angels? Not "Lilin" but actual space monster Angels? If this is the case, why is contamination from other Angels such a scary thing? If people like Ritsuko understand what LCL does to a human body (not a huge assumption) then perhaps direct contamination from an Angel transforms a human body faster than the LCL can help a body adapt?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 am

So is the LCL = curse of eva thing confirmed or just fan conjecture?

Still not sure babe

Chaos Pudding
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chaos Pudding » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 am

View Original PostXard wrote:So is the LCL = curse of eva thing confirmed or just fan conjecture?

Still not sure babe

I'm still not sure either. But the LCL is the most likely cause. The other one I can think of that's even plausible is the actual act of synchronization itself, because beyond that you start getting into more abstract concepts that make pretty much 0 real sense (but then again, who says that that's stopping them?).

Viking
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Viking » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:43 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I don't recall anything about Asuka being in a coma,

I thought that after the 03 activation experiment Asuka has been put in a vegetative state both because of her injuries and of a possible mental contamination.

My question was when NERV, or WILLE, "awakened" her.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:but on top of being in a coma doesn't mean you don't age, Mari wasn't in a coma and she looks the same as from 2.0. [..]

Of course a body ages during a coma, but mentally should remain the same.

Bye
俺は素人でもない。スペシャリストだ![ フルメタル

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 am

View Original PostChaos Pudding wrote:could we assume that the reason that pilots no longer age is because they are slowly starting to be transformed at a cellular level into something akin to actual Angels?

Ah, like magical girls become witches in Madoka Magica, you mean? There's nothing like keeping up with the neighbours!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Marc012
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marc012 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:00 am

That's just a speculation so please correct me if it's already disproved in 3.0
Could it be possible that they didn't aged because...
...Shinji was in Unit-01 (maybe not in his human form)
...At the end of 2.0 Asuka was in this machine (because of her injuries) which perhaps kept her at the age of 14 during the time skip
...Mari had to be in a similar machine (and vegetative state) because of a mental contamination, she got during the fight against Zeruel
...and Rei, either she's just another clone or she got recurred like Shinji

Replicator
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Replicator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:21 am

View Original PostViking wrote:I thought that after the 03 activation experiment Asuka has been put in a vegetative state both because of her injuries and of a possible mental contamination.

My question was when NERV, or WILLE, "awakened" her.

It's possible this happened, and she was put into stasis afterwards.

The -nami theory seems like a long-shot, but still could explain why the lady pilots look 14. Wasn't Asuka grown in vitro in the manga?

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 am

Wait whats everyone talking about. I own 2.22 and I saw nothing in all my times watching it about Asuka being seen again in anyway after she entered bardial. Also Maris last scene in 2.22 is her watching 3I from outside. This is seconds before the end of the movie. Are you guys talking about the preview? So is that really our only explanation of how Asuka is alive? A preview. Why cant anno just tell us how she could be alive after unit 01 bit the entry plug. We get 0 expatiation? that's just beyond lazy its the only plot problem I have with 3.0 at all.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Wait whats everyone talking about.

ITT: speculations about the movie that Anno skipped, i.e. those 14 years.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:27 am

Well people were talking about Asuka being in nervs cellar. Thats more then a speculation. I felt like you were speaking down to me just a smidgin lol im well aware whats going on ITT

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 am

I didn't want to speak down to you, I wanted to tease a little these speculations, it looks like it didn't come out as intended though.
Anyway, I think that with "Nerv cellar" they were referring to this:
Eva 2.22 screenshot  SPOILER: Show

No one except Anno knows when she got released from there.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I didn't want to speak down to you, I wanted to tease a little these speculations, it looks like it didn't come out as intended though.
Anyway, I think that with "Nerv cellar" they were referring to this:
Eva 2.22 screenshot  SPOILER: Show

No one except Anno knows when she got released from there.

Ahh thanks well can you confirm weather this was in 2.22 or the preview for Q at the end of 2.22? I dont remember this at all and I have no idea why as I just watched 2.22 again yesterday with preview and all lol. Also how do we know thats asuke. I mean its a girl, and probably Asuka, but was it ever said 100% it was her. Basically im totally in the dark about how she is alive. Am I missing something or is everyone else totally in the dark also

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Ahh thanks well can you confirm weather this was in 2.22 or the preview for Q at the end of 2.22?

It's in the movie itself, the screenshot comes from 1:21:15, this scene happens just after they show the recovery of what was left of Eva-03's entryplug.
View Original PostKozar927 wrote: Basically im totally in the dark about how she is alive. Am I missing something or is everyone else totally in the dark also

Touji didn't die in NGE either, stuff like this happens in anime.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:43 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Am I missing something or is everyone else totally in the dark also
Ritsuko talks about Asuka is a manner to imply that she is still alive; we see the :3 face appearance in the next time preview, and we fill in the gaps like we usually do.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:50 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:stuff like this happens in anime.

-____- oh you... (are you my forum arch nemesis (I always wanted a main villain)) lol this isnt my first rodeo.

I just seem to be hung up on this idk why really. Just odd to me

also I feel dumb for missing that scean AND risukos dialog.
I (Must) re-watch lol

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”