Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 am

Sounds good to me.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Slothen: I think your analysis of Soryu is spot on (not just saying that, as I think very few people actually get her), but I think it's a mistake to say she and Shikinami share the same spirit. As far as I can tell Shikinami was never as broken as Soryu was, and I'm not convinced her feelings on romance et al were even remotely similar. The same is true when considering Soryu's thirst for adulthood. Did Shikinami ever express similar feelings? She cares nothing for Kaji, doesn't care about dating, gives up on Shinji at the slightest provocation . . . no, I don't think there's much similarity there at all.

Thank you. I agree that there is a definite lack of evidence from Shikinami to conclude she has the same ideas about love and romance. I would also say that Shikinami is at least a romantic interest of Shinji in 2.0 if not 3.0, even if that facet of their relationship is less important to their characters than it was for Soryu/Shinji. The only reason I was drawn to take the discussion there was the "save me" line, which is one of those lines that I feel is intended to cut through to the emotional truth of the character. Even if you take romance out of it and make them just friends/comrades, the line still has the same weight, and could still be referring to 3I. Am I wrong?

Also, Shikinami is less dysfunctional, not necessarily less broken. Even if you want to equate the two words, my point is I expect no less trauma in Shikinami's past than we saw in Soryu's. I consider the continuation of the doll motif in rebuild to be a strong indication of this.

Lastly, as to the previous discussion of Shikinami's age (or Sakura's) and appearance being a factor in her potential loss of virginity over 14 years, I would strongly discount the importance of the teenage appearance as a factor to dissuade morally conscious paramours. A) military culture, not society at large. I expect everyone in Willie owes their lives at least once to Asuka, I doubt people would think of her as a child, even if that's what they see. B) Generally moral compuctions and societal norms that impede the process of procreation go out the window in post-apocalyptic societies, at least in fiction. Not that anyone would want eva pilots to get pregnant. C) If there's grass on the field, play ball.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Blood Type: Blue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Blood Type: Blue » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:40 am

Anyone else notice Asuka's glowing blue eye when Shinji escaped, maybe she did get some Angel contamination after all.
SPOILER: Show
"Death creates nothing." "You're death will create an opportunity." - "If their purpose is of human origin, it will fail. But if it comes from God. You cannot defeat them.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 am

View Original PostBlood Type: Blue wrote:Anyone else notice Asuka's glowing blue eye when Shinji escaped, maybe she did get some Angel contamination after all.

my guess is she isnt a full on angel but simply has a bit of angel dna in her like Rei

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 am

View Original PostBlood Type: Blue wrote:Anyone else notice Asuka's glowing blue eye when Shinji escaped, maybe she did get some Angel contamination after all.

You are wrong you see, this is merely light being refracted by the fabric of the eyepatch wich difuses lights in a fractal wavelenghts wich in turn reflect the skyback into her eye that makes it look blue, but it isnt really glowing, i tells ya.

yes,i'm joking
ANATA BAKA !?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 am

It was brought up here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/576334/SPOILERS-Asukas-role-in-30-and-Beyond/#576334

but only speculation follows.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 am

View Original PostBlood Type: Blue wrote:Image

Man, there must not be much time for sleeping in the post 3I world, what with those bags under her eyes. Maybe that's why she's so grumpy, she needs a nap. :lol:

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 am

I already made an entire thread about this, move discussion about her left eye here please:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13654/SPOILERSAsukas-Left-Eye-in-30/

It seems everyone suffers from eyebags in the post-3I world (except Gendo, because he has a visor, and Kaworu, Mari and ReiQ). I'm not sure what it was meant to represent but it gave me the impression they were all stressed, slightly mentally disturbed, and lacking in sleep.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

elemileTLDR
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby elemileTLDR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 pm

@bladerj
You just couldn't hold yourself.

@CJD
I love bags, always have. It's like a sex hair thing for me...

Now: I thought the only time Asuka was clearly shown with bags was at her first meeting with Shinji, so I associated them with insomnia, probably due to expectation and anger. However, after checking that one screencap, I think it's safe to say that the bags serve only to make her look emaciated due to hardship and time passing by.
xϵ{0,1} ; PI: x²=x ; PNC: x(1-x)=0 ; PEM: x+(1-x)=1 —Boole
If our gods and hopes became scientific matters, why wouldn't our love as well?...
I offer you a scientific Eve. Chimere by chimere, sin by sin.
—V. De L'Isle-Adam

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 pm

View Original PostelemileTLDR wrote:@CJD
I love bags, always have. It's like a sex hair thing for me...

How odd. I suppose we all have our fetishes.

But yes, I agree, they're to show more than that she's tired. I was simply making a jest. In fact I think they're a nice addition to highlight just how stressful post 3I life is.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Kaworu too shows those eerie stress lines under his eyes when he finds out he was fooled by Gendo.

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TheDrmcvey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:21 am

Do you all think that Asuka's rage with Shinji might be due to the experience she had with the angel in Eva-03?

What I'm trying to say is, do you think that her experience with it, caused her to relive the terrible memories of her past? We've seen Asuka get mindraped before by an angel in the past, and this might be the case. If so, it makes sense why she's angry at Shinji, since it was her attraction to him that caused her to get into the unit and suffer.
Eva Rebirth

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:24 am

Quite possibly. We know that Asuka went through some trippy out-of-body stuff with Bardiel in NME, similar to Arael from the TV series. So it's possible that Bardiel did the whole Arael act wherein it mentally probed Asuka and exposed her own insecurities and fears to her, or something along those lines. Unfortunately we don't know what went down because we don't see anything after Asuka starts flying deeper into the core on pink "wings of light".
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:37 am

View Original PostTheDrmcvey wrote:Do you all think that Asuka's rage with Shinji might be due to the experience she had with the angel in Eva-03?

That's my preferred theory. It seems more, well, personal than merely (!) his destroying the world.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 pm

As for Asuka finding a date, consider this:

If she was dating some guy on the Wunder crew and had a four year old kid like many a 28-year old, we would not have seen them on the bridge during a battle or anywhere near the allegedly dangerous prisoner, and with Asuka having the personalitiy she has, her thoughts would not go back to them in the middle of a battle, when she's busy "working.".

I'm not suggesting this is a fact, just saying that wether she has or not, the movie would play out the same.

So much could have happened in those 14 years, things that could make previous experiences completely irrelevant for influencing her actions. She might be pissed because of things that happened due to the harshness of the post-TI world, may even have gone through various stages.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Can someone remind me how harsh the post-3I world is? Do we know how far the damage has extended beyond Japan?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:41 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Can someone remind me how harsh the post-3I world is? Do we know how far the damage has extended beyond Japan?

If the first 6 minute opening of the movie is any indication, seems the entire planet is red, oceans, land, everything.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Also, whenever we get a look outside, all we see is oddly white storm clouds.
The atmosphere was probably altered, some places may no longer be accessible without hazard suits.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:If the first 6 minute opening of the movie is any indication, seems the entire planet is red, oceans, land, everything.

Shit. I was hoping they were over the Pacific Ocean, which would have been red from 2nd Impact.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”