Impact Mechanics

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:06 am

A certain bit of the penultimate Evangelion manga chapter made me think of the moon in 3.33...

SPOILER: Show

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 am

View Original PostCharsi wrote:A certain bit of the penultimate Evangelion manga chapter made me think of the moon in 3.33...

That was what happened in EoE as well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:22 am

I know. It was easier for me to reference the manga, is all, rather than say "that scene in the movie when..." or look through pages of google images. Bleh.

I'm lazy.

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby gchristnsn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:What's with the fertilisation theory? Makes no sense to me, and doesn't really seem to have anything to do with what happens in the film.

This may be a crazy reference to the scene from the manga posted earlier added by the authors just for fun [edit: or to put emphasis on the theme of evolution].
Seele resurrects Lilith through the contact with Ayanami (they probably need this to initiate that cell-like division process in the Moon), something transforms residents of Tokyo-3 into these red guys, and they run to Lilith to fertilize her. After one of the guys merges with her, she begins to divide and Mk.06 stops this process with the lances (she may had lost her head spontaneously as in EoE and Mk.06 had took its place). When the time came, the guys also lose their heads (the guys which comprise the shell and the ones at the streets are decapitated), these skulls at the floor are belong to them.

It seems, that Seele can't create the true Evangelion without that.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:The Nemesis Series and the drones in space are all classified as Evangelion Mark.04; it's implied that they are the creation of Nerv/the IPEA. Definitely not under the control the UN. We don't even know if the UN still exists after the timeskip; for all we know they might have been destroyed by 3I. The Nemesis Series are not trying to destroy Eva-01; instead it seems they were placed in space to protect it. The ones on Earth are apparently trying to kill the members of Wille.

The coffin is obviously from Nerv, the drones from IPEA. Seele may had put 01 into the coffin to restrain it from further actions, UN may had seized it and put on the orbit to make it inaccessible by anyone. But Wille have the technology to retrieve it back which Nerv lacks. UN may had programmed the drones to protect the coffin or to destroy it if it would be delivered to the Earth, and because Nerv values Shinji as a key tool of their plan, they can not send Nemesis to destroy Wunder.
A short guide to NGE

- Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones. - Occam's razor
- Since we can never know anything for sure, it is simply not worth searching for certainty; but it is well worth searching for truth; and we do this chiefly by searching for mistakes, so that we have to correct them. - Karl Popper

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm

View Original Postgchristnsn wrote:The coffin is obviously from Nerv, the drones from IPEA. Seele may had put 01 into the coffin to restrain it from further actions, UN may had seized it and put on the orbit to make it inaccessible by anyone.

While the idea of Nerv and IPEA as two seperate organisations is possible, we have to remember that there is a Mark.04B inside the satellite. The simplest conclusion is that the Mark.04's are entirely under Nerv's control, though admittedly this is not certain either.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Rahxephon
Embryo

second impact door of guf

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm

I find it interesting that in NME continuity that adams door of guf which opened during second impact is still open 14 year s later when gendo and fuyustki are orbiting the moon then planet.

Obviosuly unit 01s door of guf closed when impaled with the spear of cassius.. but I wonder what importance there is to having the second impact door of guf be open indefinitely.. what does this mean about the adams?

Is it still open in Q future time I wonder??

Could the 2nd impact door of guf have a role in either gendo or SEELE end plans?

Also what was the black ball that appeared in 2nd impact? looked like liliths black moon egg but that is in tokyo?

Could it be the egg of adam?
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

gchristnsn
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: second impact door of guf

•      
  •      

Postby gchristnsn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:22 pm

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:Obviosuly unit 01s door of guf closed when impaled with the spear of cassius.. but I wonder what importance there is to having the second impact door of guf be open indefinitely.. what does this mean about the adams?

That was near 3I. The mechanism of the actual 3I is absolutely unknown. The only known thing is the consequences: dividing moon, crosses of crystalline blood and blood spots on the moon which originate from that huge organic thing with teeth (which was probably just uncovered by the impact), and the transformation of the residents into the red guys. It may not deal with the door (which probably can be created only by awakened Eva) at all.

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:Could the 2nd impact door of guf have a role in either gendo or SEELE end plans?

There may be an entry point into a worm-hole, and Gendo will use it to transport Eva-series somewhere for the deicide promised to Seele, I suppose.

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:Also what was the black ball that appeared in 2nd impact? looked like liliths black moon egg but that is in tokyo?

Could it be the egg of adam?

This is a [transient] black-hole, it was mentioned at that thread of storyboard information posted somewhere near. Probably, during the near 3I and near 4I it was contained in the door restrained by that cross-shaped rotating device or phenomenon, when it's released, it may come out and the door wouldn't close then.
A short guide to NGE

- Simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones. - Occam's razor
- Since we can never know anything for sure, it is simply not worth searching for certainty; but it is well worth searching for truth; and we do this chiefly by searching for mistakes, so that we have to correct them. - Karl Popper

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:08 pm

I recall seeing the thing with 4 croses sticking out of the 2nd impact door of guf as well though... seen when gendo and fuyutski are orbiting earth?

That 4 cross device thing and the black hole as well as the wierd rainbow halo in the sky are all there 14 years later and possibly even 28 in the time of Q?

I do like the idea of gendo traveling through the door of guf to "kill god(aka the FAR?)" though ;)
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

thezeppo1138
Embryo

Giant Screw/Chalice

•      
  •      

Postby thezeppo1138 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:20 pm

I keep seeing everyone call the Black Moon? a giant screw but I never saw that at all. To me it looks like a chalice/grail, and that makes way more sense in terms of the series imagery. Anyone else think that?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Giant Screw/Chalice

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:30 pm

View Original Postthezeppo1138 wrote:I keep seeing everyone call the Black Moon? a giant screw but I never saw that at all. To me it looks like a chalice/grail, and that makes way more sense in terms of the series imagery. Anyone else think that?

The script says that it is the black moon. And yes, your right about the grail part. It's most likely meant to look like one.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thezeppo1138
Embryo

Re: Giant Screw/Chalice

•      
  •      

Postby thezeppo1138 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:32 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:The script says that it is the black moon, which is meant to look like (holy) grail.

Oh ok. Thanks!

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 am

Random question that has probably been covered, but please humor me:

The impact in 2.22, where does it physically take place? Does it take place on the surface of the Geo-Front, or at ground level (as in, the outskirts of Tokyo-3)?

The reason why I ask is this: i've always assumed that it took place on the GeoFront surface - that's what makes sense. But Zeruel never removes the roof of the GeoFront - Zeruel blows a Zeruel sized hole in it, descends through that hole to emerge from the GeoFront roof, defeats Eva-02 and 00 and blows the pyramid up to descending down the main shaft. Shinji jumps Zeruel in Eva-01, and they take a launch rail back to.. where? Ground level? The GeoFront?

If the GeoFront was the destination, how is it can we see the N3I rings from orbit ... which spawn before the giant Rei/2nd core is absorbed into the Eva (ie before explodey ground)? How does Kaworu target the spear to stop the impact if Eva-01 is on the GeoFront surface and the roof hasn't been blown off yet?

I'm confused. Where the hell did the impact actually take place? Is the theory that Eva-00's N2 missile blew the lid off the GeoFront? I kind of doubt it. Who blew up the roof and when? It had to happen before Kaworu threw the spear (and/or before we see the rings from high altitude). I just can't pinpoint when.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:00 pm

N3I take place in the surface of the Geofront :

- the elevator Shinji push Zeruel into bring them both back at the surface of the Geofront, just next of NERV HQ pyramid.

- as for the rings, there is actually two layers that appears : first when the pseudo-evolved EVA-01 starts diving into Zeruel's core, rings appear just above EVA-01' head :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1801.jpg[/wkimg]

- when Giant Naked Red Rei is being absorbed and EVA-01 evolves into a Radiant Giant, the rings above its head disappear... to create others, far bigger, at ground level, just above Tokyo-3's buildings :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 C1846.jpg[/wkimg]

Said new vortex tore open the Geofront in the form of a giant cross shaped gap, making the view clear for Mark.06 to snipe EVA-01 with the Lance of Cassius!

In the end, that's how the ground level of Tokyo-3 looks like :
[wkimg]File:Eva2-22 jikai C04.jpg[/wkimg]

And that's also why Kaworu's claim in Q that the epicenter of 3I was in Lilith's Chamber doesn't make any sense if we follow the belief that Shinji's N3I is what left the world in the sorry state we found it in Q.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45 am

One thing I'd like to know is how Rei Q and Asuka survived the epicentre of 4I after they had both ejected? 4I clearly continues for a few minutes more before dissipating and both Rei and Asuka are clearly watching EVA-13's descent and Shinji's entry plug flying off.

They had to been watching, I strongly doubt the stumbled upon Shinji by chance after the topography of the city had changed drastically.

I just find it weird that the entire Katsuragi expedition was completely wiped out (minus Misato) at it's epicentre yet at N3I and 4I, people clearly survive it without any after or side effects. Granted, both Impacts don't exactly have the luxury of time as they are both dispelled shortly after being initiated.
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 am

^
That would be because 2I lasted longer than both 3I and 4I, having the time to get to the part where the Lilin are exterminated, but somehow put on an halt before said destruction extends to the whole planet.

For N3I, there is various hints in Q that it's not that which destroyed the world, but a later actual 3I which happened after the city was(hopefully) evacuated, while N3I was stopped by the LoC before starting to kill everyone, explaining why the people around N3I(Misato and co, Gendo and co, Mari, Sakura...) survived.

As for why Asuka and Rei-Q survived the fall of the Black Moon and all of Red-Tokyo-3's debris and later managed to find Shinji's entry plug, i would say plot armor and plot convenience respectively(or more probably they saw EVA-13's entry plug being ejected and saw the approximative location where it landed, letting them found it later after some searches)
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
That would be because 2I lasted longer than both 3I and 4I, having the time to get to the part where the Lilin are exterminated, but somehow put on an halt before said destruction extends to the whole planet.

For N3I, there is various hints in Q that it's not that which destroyed the world, but a later actual 3I which happened after the city was(hopefully) evacuated, while N3I was stopped by the LoC before starting to kill everyone, explaining why the people around N3I(Misato and co, Gendo and co, Mari, Sakura...) survived.

As for why Asuka and Rei-Q survived the fall of the Black Moon and all of Red-Tokyo-3's debris and later managed to find Shinji's entry plug, i would say plot armor and plot convenience respectively(or more probably they saw EVA-13's entry plug being ejected and saw the approximative location where it landed, letting them found it later after some searches)

One has to ask, where are the trees in a now post-4I world? How is the oxygen being produced from a dead world and a dead sea, or are we led to believe that the world isn't as bad as we perceive it to be with such limited knowledge, just like Shinji? Or has humanity adapted to this new world like Kaworu states to Shinji in the truth reveal?
I watch and speculate.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:44 am

^
That depends on how much the planet was actually affected in the post-3I world : from the look of it during operation US it seems that the whole planet has been turned to core, but all the resources to built equipment, weapons, ships... must come from somewhere, as well as the food must be grown somewhere, so it's possible that only Tokyo-3 and its surroundings were fully turned into core material, that the rest of the world fares better, and that the red look of the planet we saw while in space is an optical effect due to something in the atmosphere.

Also something to take into account is how many humans are still alive : if the world only have have a few hundred of thousands or millions human left, even if the trees and algae are all dead there is still enough oxygen in the air for everyone. For now.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 am

Re-watching Episode 22', when Eva-00 goes down to retrieve the LoL, we can see some interesting structures that reminded me of the screw-like surfaces on Q!Black Moon...

I was wondering if there is any sort of storyboard or obscure complementary material that you guys always come up with that illustrates what we were seeing in NGE?

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:32 am

View Original PostK40s wrote:Re-watching Episode 22', when Eva-00 goes down to retrieve the LoL, we can see some interesting structures that reminded me of the screw-like surfaces on Q!Black Moon...

I was wondering if there is any sort of storyboard or obscure complementary material that you guys always come up with that illustrates what we were seeing in NGE?

I don't think there are any, but I can't say for sure. I always assumed those screws were in place to hold something down -- or in other words bolt something to the ground.

Perhaps those screws were supposed to keep the Black Moon locked down? Can't say for sure and I don't think there'll be anything documenting what they are or what significance they have. Oh don't you love Evangelion sometimes? :facepalm:

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:04 am

This post is more about survivability rather than mechanics of Impacts.

At the end of 3.0, Asuka suggests that "we'll go to where the Lilin are/or be picked up by". What has just flashed my mind on that suggestion is that she's expecting to find Lilin/Humanity in a just now post 4I world.
Fourth Impact (Vortex is at least 5 times larger than N3I) had just come and gone and she's expecting to find a settlement or human activity shortly thereafter within walking distance. Ah, if N3I caused utter cataclysmic events to the world to unfold, why in hell is she expecting to find pockets of Humanity scattered around within WALKING DISTANCE FROM IT'S EPICENTRE?!
I watch and speculate.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”