Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:How do I make a screenshot?

Hit Shift+S. You can change the directory where the screenshots are saved from the Preferences menu.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Strange, every time I make an image, in the image itself, there are no subtitles overlapping, but in the actual video the subtitles are overlapping.

Could it be the video player I'm using? It's Media Player Classic Home Media.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:50 pm

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:Could it be the video player I'm using? It's Media Player Classic Home Media.

Hm, that's actually the best video player for subbed anime. It's probably something to do with your subtitles settings.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:51 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Hm, that's actually the best video player for subbed anime. It's probably something to do with your subtitles settings.

K, I'll PM you and we can talk about the subtitle settings and see if I can configure it so the subs won't overlap.

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Sat May 18, 2013 1:00 pm

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:K, I'll PM you and we can talk about the subtitle settings and see if I can configure it so the subs won't overlap.

You could also just hit the Ctrl+Print keys and amke a screenshot that way.

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:01 pm

View Original PostDemonSpade wrote:You could also just hit the Ctrl+Print keys and amke a screenshot that way.

K, that will probably make the image take in the overlapping subs.

Edit: Actually, i tried using CTRL print, but I don't think that works either.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:How do I make a screenshot?

Generally I just hit PrtSc (PrintScreen button), paste it into Photoshop, then crop off the player edges.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat May 18, 2013 2:35 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10773/how-to-create-screen-shots/

TOPIC

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 21, 2013 11:44 pm

...questions.

Got my hands on the UTW translation, would like clarification.

a) Pre!Departure conversation. The line that you have as, "You were the one who showed me that. A world where I can't do anything." is rendered as "You were the one who showed me that... a blood red world beyond salvation!" ...which sounds a lot more... poetic. And less like hammy. /anvilicious philosophy/throwing around concepts like an actual confused teenager probably wouldnt.
Or is it just a translation artifact/sounds more normal or poetic-ish in Japanese?
Were they just... adding dramatic emphasis, or does that sentence actually contain the word "blood red"?

b) "If it wasn't you, was it someone else?" vs. "You might deny it, but the others certainly see it like that.". There is quite a different nuance of accusation contained here.
Is the sentence ambigous? / Which is more correct?

c) more general question. The word Fuyu uses for "clone" during the Yui reveal scene. Is it commonly used in such a sense in Sci-Fi contexts, or is it more something like "Fake" or "replica"? Connotations?
Asking because I recall a lot of animes just going for the Engrish variant.

...Thank you for your time, and sorry if any this was asked before.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

@Kendrix

a) The line is "あの真っ赤などうしようもない世界を". The Github+ version uses "This blood-red world that I can't do anything about.", which is pretty much as accurate as you can get.

あの真っ赤な = That blood-red
どうしようもない = can't do anything about (difficult to translate on its own....)
世界を = world

b) Not sure which line you're talking about here. Could you give me a timestamp?

c) The kanji in the script for the word "clone" used by Fuyutsuki are "複製体". The meanings for the kanji are: 複 (fuku) = double, 製 (sei) = made, 体 (tai) = body. As listed by Denshi Jisho. Not sure what the connotation is for this particular word, but it's probably not the same as "bunshin". :lol:
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed May 22, 2013 1:40 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:b) Not sure which line you're talking about here. Could you give me a timestamp?
She must be talking about when Kaworu shows Shinji the spinney Moon, @01:03:00

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 22, 2013 9:51 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:"If it wasn't you, was it someone else?" vs. "You might deny it, but the others certainly see it like that."

I had trouble with the grammar on this one, but I'm pretty sure the UTW one is more accurate -- which is why I changed the github version.

The word Fuyu uses for "clone" during the Yui reveal scene.

For the base, 複製 (fukusei), Eijirou gives the meanings "replica" and "duplicate". However, the connotation of "clone" is there, as provided in one of the examples.

複製人間 (fukusei ningen)
human clone
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I had trouble with the grammar on this one, but I'm pretty sure the UTW one is more accurate -- which is why I changed the github version.

And incidentally, it happens to be the version that makes more sense IMHO.

Thank you!
複 (fuku) = double, 製 (sei) = made, 体 (tai) = body

So the implication is amongs the lines of "Replica", but it's still un-ambiguous enough/not somehow metaphorical. 'kay, that's all I wanted to know.
"This blood-red world that I can't do anything about.", which is pretty much as accurate as you can get

So, definitely a minimal touch of depressing poetry/associated fatalism in there...

Thanks everybody/for your time! Just a few sublteties that interested me/me wanting to appreciate the writing style.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:18 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Thanks everybody/for your time! Just a few sublteties that interested me/me wanting to appreciate the writing style.

Happy to be of help! I actually quite enjoy doing this kind of "research", since it's great for learning new things about Japanese! If you've got more questions, keep 'em coming!

EDIT: Just thought I'd let you guys know: UTW's script for 3.33 is available to download in .ass format on their website. So if you'd like to make your own edits to the UTW translation directly, now you can!
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:37 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:EDIT: Just thought I'd let you guys know: UTW's script for 3.33 is available to download in .ass format on their website. So if you'd like to make your own edits to the UTW translation directly, now you can!

Excellent, thank you for the notification. I'll probably make some Frankenstein combination of the work that Reichu did along with the UTW.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:27 am

Well people, I got places for the preview of 3.0 in the cinema Le Grand Rex in Paris at June 29th.
I could gloat about my chance, but I'm not here for that : the film will be in Japanese with French subtitles, that mean that it will be the first instance of official non-Japanese subtitles, the projection being organized by Dybex, the French company distributing the Rebuild in France.

Well unfortunately, Dybex has quite the reputation of making... average subtitles to stay polite, especially during conversations, for example in 2.0 at the beginning of Misato's and Asuka's phone conversation, according to the Dybex subtitle, Misato thanks Asuka for having accepted her request to test EVA-03... while we know that it's the contrary. And let's not even talk about Kaworu's scene in the Moon at the end of 1.0 which doesn't make a fucking sense, fortunately, that tends to happen only in one scene per movie on average.

But fortunately, Dybex uses the official English designation for the terms, like "Core", "Entry Plug", "Dummy System"...

So I thought that I could use the opportunity to make a list of all the terms you would like to have the official English version, or their rendition of some phrasings that were subjects of debate on this very topic(for that latter case that's more a bet that anything depending on how they will translate some dialogs, especially in a film with so much potential hidden meanings, but with some chance I can get some useful informations of it), and while I will be there enjoying the films(it's a marathon of the trilogy) I could also take notes about your suggestions!

So ladies and gentlemen, now it's up to you : what are the terms or the particular points you would like me to note their translation, see if some extra information can come from it!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:54 am

@ElMariachi:

WOW...i forgot about that...can u tell me which scenes and wich movies the subtitles are screwd??
I watched with THORA subs btw =)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 am

Dybex is a French company distributing Animes in France, they make their own translations, so there is little chance that you saw them, especially if you watched the films with Portuguese fansubs!

But well, as far as I can remember, there three scenes that were odd :

In 1.0 :

- When Misato brought Shinji to Lilith's Chamber and explains what she is, the phrasing was a little... strange : she said something like "Although they are born under the same star, both are different"(Lilith and the Angels maybe?) and that Lilith is the progenitor of the human race(I don't know if she says that part in others subtitles) and the trigger for Third Impact(pretty ironic when you notice that's she's saying that to the guy who will be the actual Trigger for 3I, right?)

- Kaworu's scene in the Moon is the most glaring example : here he says something like the fact that the "Third began is accelerating phase", and SEELE-01 appears and respond that Kaworu's right and that now they "switching from the Apocrypha manuscripts to something I don't remember right now", while in any other translation Kaworu is supposed to say that "the Third Boy appeared and that it will soon be the time for him(Kaworu) to intervene", and SEELE-01 respond that yes and that "everything goes according to the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls", nowhere it's mentioned that they have another book of prophecies and that from now on they will use it!

In 2.0 :

- as I said, during their phone conversation, Misato thanks Asuka for having accepted her request to test EVA-03... while it's supposed to be Asuka who requested to Misato to pilot EVA-03!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:40 am

Dude....seriusly...YOU ARE AWESOME!! hope one day i will be smart and generous like you ;P

BTW on 1.0 Kaowru says: "Not the third again.." "You never change do you?"

What the hell he was talking about anyway ?!?!

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:50 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:- When Misato brought Shinji to Lilith's Chamber and explains what she is, the phrasing was a little... strange : she said something like "Although they are born under the same star, both are different"(Lilith and the Angels maybe?) and that Lilith is the progenitor of the human race(I don't know if she says that part in others subtitles)

In my English subs she calls Lilith:

"The bringer of life to this planet and the agent of its extinction...The Second Angel, Lilith".
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”