Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:08 pm

View Original Postakoss wrote:If you have a Github account, bu the way, just tell me your account and I will give you full access to the repository.

I just made one. My username is 'ReiAyanami25'. Thank you.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:I just made one. My username is 'ReiAyanami25'. Thank you.

Okay, I added you as a "Collaborator"

You have dull access to the repository.

To edit anything, just go to the main page: https://github.com/eva3/Evangelion--3.0-Translation , select which file you want to edit (JAPANESE-SCRIPT, TRANSLATION, etc.) and click on the "Edit" button.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 pm

View Original Postakoss wrote:Okay, I added you as a "Collaborator"

You have dull access to the repository.

To edit anything, just go to the main page: https://github.com/eva3/Evangelion--3.0-Translation , select which file you want to edit (JAPANESE-SCRIPT, TRANSLATION, etc.) and click on the "Edit" button.

Thank you very much. I shall continue with looking over my transcript to begin.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:Thank you very much. I shall continue with looking over my transcript to begin.

We are the ones to thank you.
Good luck

Marfil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marfil » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 pm

A very good Japanese learner friend of mine brought me up this question.

Is コネメガネ (konemegane, glasses girl with power connections) supposed to be a pun on 骨眼鏡 (honemegane, horn-rimmed glasses)? Or are we mishearing what Asuka calls Mari and is actually just 骨眼鏡 (honemegane)?

My friend insists is just 骨眼鏡 (honemegane), and after listening again the 6 minute preview I agree with him. Not to mention, it would make a lot more sense, given that Mary “connections” are not yet clearly stablished in the Rebuild, let alone unknown if they remain in Evangelion Q timespan and inside Wille.

PD: Also, there is a typo in 00:29:17 モチのロン。今やってるようにね。 should be もちろん.
Last edited by Marfil on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 pm

It sounds out-of-character for Asuka to call Mari "horn-rimmed glasses". Also, the glasses that Mari's wearing during the battle aren't horn-rimmed, but a style that lacks the framing above the lenses. However, I'm not familiar with the cultural connotations horn-rimmed glasses may have in Japan.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Marfil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marfil » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 pm

骨眼鏡 (honemegane) in Google and Yahoo images gives tons of results for glasses similar to the one's Mari wears (in 2.22 and 3.0), and a few results of Mari itself.

What seems to matter is the material (horn or horn-like plastic), rather than if the glasses lenses are fully rimmed.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Marfil: "Kone megane" is probably a pun on "honemegane", but I hadn't been aware of it. Good trivia to know. AFAIK, the sneak-peak would have been available with subtitles to those streaming it live, and that's probably how the notion of it being "kone megane" as opposed to "honemegane" solidified.

PD: Also, there is a typo in 00:29:17 モチのロン。今やってるようにね。 should be もちろん.

Mari actually does say モチのロン quite distinctly. I don't know WHY, but there it is. The additional syllable is unmistakable.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mari actually does say モチのロン quite distinctly. I don't know WHY, but there it is. The additional syllable is unmistakable.

It appears that 「 もちのろん」 (in ひらがな) is actually in my dictionary.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote:It appears that 「 もちのろん」 (in ひらがな) is actually in my dictionary.

Oh. I didn't even try looking it up. It's in Tangorin, too. Good to know.

BTW, LiLi, I still haven't been able to figure out what a good translation for Fuyutsuki's line 「お前の生き様を見せても、息子の為にはならんとするか。」 It just refuses to come together in my head. Can you think of anything? -o-;

Also, another item I was unsure about: In the final scene, Asuka says 「ほら、これ付けて。」 Do you know what she's talking about?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:BTW, LiLi, I still haven't been able to figure out what a good translation for Fuyutsuki's line 「お前の生き様を見せても、息子の為にはならんとするか。」 

BTW, Did you get my PMs about that one?
Maybe try something like, "You think that even if you let your son see how you live, that will not help him?"

Also, another item I was unsure about: In the final scene, Asuka says 「ほら、これ付けて。」 Do you know what she's talking about?

Ah, I think it is some kind of green(?) bag they wear across the shoulder. Not sure how to explain it, I took it to be some kind of survival kit. (BBQRei also wearing one, IIRC).
Last edited by LiLi on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Marfil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marfil » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:51 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Marfil: "Kone megane" is probably a pun on "honemegane", but I hadn't been aware of it. Good trivia to know. AFAIK, the sneak-peak would have been available with subtitles to those streaming it live, and that's probably how the notion of it being "kone megane" as opposed to "honemegane" solidified.

It seems you are right, according to people who saw the preview with subtitles, it was transcribed as konemegane. Being indeed, a pun on honemegane.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mari actually does say モチのロン quite distinctly. I don't know WHY, but there it is. The additional syllable is unmistakable.

Once again, you are right.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:02 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote: "You think that even if you let your son see how you live, that will not help him?"

ACTUALLY?? Really this? For real?
So far, it seems like he was just being nonchalant/cold, but if that's what Fuyu's saying...
That makes it some quality Gendo moment there, EoE style and confirmation that 3.0 has not at all abandoned that angle that was otherwise so pronounced throughout Rebuild.
This would imply that Fuyutsuki suspects Gendo to be actually concerned about Shinji's sorry state. ... and the "I don't think so" pretty much confirms that Fuyu was dead on.

We never got to see so much about Gendo in the descent arc, other than his plotting and sheming, but the implication could well be that the Bardiel incident affected him, too, convincing him once and for all and the buried himself in his work even more after the vestiges of his relationship with Shinji went to hell.

But never in 1000 years would I think that we'd get to see him unable to conceal his concern about all the shit that happens to his son latter in the story from a questioning Fuyutsuki.

Man, that's sad. That goddamn irony.
Even with the last few lines to be translated, this movie keeps punching me in the gut...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:07 am

Isn't it amazing how a few lines can affect our perception of a charecter?
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:44 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Isn't it amazing how a few lines can affect our perception of a charecter?

Well, it depends what sort of character. With say, Gendo or Rei everything is very subtle and half-implied, so every minuscule detail could actually be very important.

Evangelion, in general, is thickly-packed with information, cramming lots of it into small scenes....

The irony is that we now have an evangelion movie where Gendo acts more like a parent than Misato does. Not that its particularly much in either case.

Ah Q
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ah Q » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:12 pm

All I can say is . . . for the first time, I regret having spent the past decade learning Chinese rather than Japanese.

Interested to see the translation as it develops. Wish I could help!

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:24 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:ACTUALLY?? Really this? For real?
So far, it seems like he was just being nonchalant/cold, but if that's what Fuyu's saying...
That makes it some quality Gendo moment there, EoE style and confirmation that 3.0 has not at all abandoned that angle that was otherwise so pronounced throughout Rebuild.
This would imply that Fuyutsuki suspects Gendo to be actually concerned about Shinji's sorry state. ... and the "I don't think so" pretty much confirms that Fuyu was dead on.

We never got to see so much about Gendo in the descent arc, other than his plotting and sheming, but the implication could well be that the Bardiel incident affected him, too, convincing him once and for all and the buried himself in his work even more after the vestiges of his relationship with Shinji went to hell.

But never in 1000 years would I think that we'd get to see him unable to conceal his concern about all the shit that happens to his son latter in the story from a questioning Fuyutsuki.

Man, that's sad. That goddamn irony.
Even with the last few lines to be translated, this movie keeps punching me in the gut...

Just out of curiosity, how does that line imply that? What does Fuyutsuki mean by "how you live?"
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:01 pm

View Original PostGrub wrote:Just out of curiosity, how does that line imply that? What does Fuyutsuki mean by "how you live?"

a) in the context of that conversation, Fuyu is telling Gendo how Kaworu has approached Shinji and how he has seen the conditions outside, ie, that he accidentally torched the planet, and asks him if he's OK with that.
Gendo says something like "Everything exist to further our plan".

Then Fuyu says that line.

The initial translation was something like "Even if he sees you, won't you do something for your son?" which basically amounts to a more respectful version of "You bastard! That'y your own kid going barking mad with grief and guilt... on your watch." So nothing new there.

But if the correct translation is more, like LiLi suggested, "You think that even if you let your son see how you live, that will not help him?" (emphasis mine) that paints a very different picture here. That's more like "I see, it's not that you don't give a fuck, it's that you don't think you can do anything to help."
Which, in turn, implies that he'd want to help if he thought he could, and sees that there's a need for said help.

b) Well, that is indeed an interesting question. It may mean something as simple as "Tell him your side of the story/ allow him to be part of your world for once", or imply something more - I think there's currently reason to suspect that Gendo did something to himself, something body-horror-y. In his later revelation monologue, Fuyu mentions something about him [Gendo] "paying every price there is, even his very soul", and frankly, he looks about as close to being 62 as Shinji looks to being 28.
All that's changed is the visor, and his hair being marginally messier.
Just look at some of the older adults for contrast. Misato aged fairly well, but Ritsuko and poor Fuyutsuki really show the years. Hyuuga, too, though he's lucky that he was fairly young to begin with.
62 and not a gray hair? A rundown-looking worcaholic, to boot? Him being a guy who never even bothers to zip his jacket, I don't think he'd dye it.
There's something off here, way off.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 pm

From the looks of things, the only person in the cast who has actually aged 14 years is poor Fuyutsuki, who was the oldest member of the cast anyway. And there's that damn "Curse of Eva" thing going on.

I don't think it's a body horror thing (Adam embryo, Key of Nebuchadnezzar), I think it's more like Gendo living his life wallowing in grief for Yui, who had been absorbed into Eva-01, and then Shinji, who appeared to have met exactly the same fate. (Anything in the translation support this?)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”