3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 am

Dafuq?

Probably just a crazy rumor, HAS to be one....

Could anyone currently in moonland please explain?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 am

I think it's more likely that some excitable fan saw the movie a second time and said "I don't remember that from last time." and it's actually a result of the fallibility of human memory.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:It's more piano.

Please let it be more piano.

More piano and horses! But seriously, I agree with Tines, probably it's the result of excessive excitement. Actually I vaguely remember reading something similar soon after the release of Q, am I imagining things?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:12 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote: Actually I vaguely remember reading something similar soon after the release of Q, am I imagining things?

Clearly what's happening here is they're vaguely altering the movie every few weeks, and each version of the movie is a different loop, with 3.33 being the final loop that leads into 4.0.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am

Based on the crappy Google translation of that blog post, it seems that T-joy has already said that the rumor is untrue. At least that's what I got out of it. :uhh:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Evangelion 3.0 has changed the way I see the whole rebuild series by a ton. Even having only seen the camrip that is out a handful of times this movie has renewed my interests and reawakened my curiosity.

The name 'You can(not) redo' echoes what this movie truly means over and over. I wouldn't doubt the 4th film's title being 'You can(not) finish' or 'You can(not)end' given some of the underlying or perhaps overlying themes.

Where some may see the lack of information available in this film, I see an information overload, Anno did a brilliant job incorporating it all in a way that makes you think but still keep it at an enjoyable pace. The aspect of having no information while having a ton is something I think was a point he was making. It's something that has attributed Evangelion as a timeless artwork.

The scenes are beautifully rendered, where I thought this movie would have a blue and clean feel to it, it was indeed the exact opposite, the blood red was powerfully overwhelming but didn't feel over done, also matching the atmosphere to the T. The scenes from the 4th impact were ridiculous, I could almost feel the roughness and trauma, more specifically Shinji's expressions were beyond what I could imagine an animation portray. The art alone is enough to make this film a masterpiece.

The ending is perfect and didn't leave off on such a cliffhanger as 2.0 did, and I'm very thankful for that. I look forward to 4.0 but the urgency isn't nearly as much. Asuka having referred to humans as 'Lillin" has me all giddy and tingly inside :3

Overall this movie was more than what I could have imagined, which is everything I wanted.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm

still no info on this apparent additional scene. Even if it was fake a confirmation would be nice. How could we not have info yet on something so big.

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am

I just watched it. I feel like I'm in Shinji's position: I'm confused and afraid.

I really hope 4 shows a bit of what happened during the timeskip.

mastervampire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 am

So I watched the CAM rip and it was ok.

I think I would of liked it without the time skip as it seems like that caused us to miss out on a lot of stuff.

I would of also liked some more scenes of them living normally and stuff but it was mostly all action.

The ending really confused me with what was happening with eva 13.
More so than EoE

And also FUCK Misato!
That cold bitch.
Maybe if they explained everything to Shinji things wouldnt have turned out the way they did.
But noooo she is just cryptic and is trying to do some Gendo impression.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:

Link's in there.

Perhaps it's this

View Original PostCJD wrote:Seems Asuka had a line in the first 6 minutes that was slightly altered in the TV version?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 am

View Original Postmastervampire wrote:FUCK Misato!
That cold bitch.

Misato's officially become colder than the Yebisu she drinks......though because the Yebisu factory probably exploded because of N3I, and because Q isn't dark enough already, she's probably moved on to snorting Coke.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 am

Well, we've only seen Misato is two circumstances: as a commander, and in relation to Shinji. The former is cold by its very nature, the former is... complicated. It's quite possible she's closer to her "old" self elsewhere.

Also, I hope everyone who was complaining about the wait between 2.0 and Q feels thoroughly chastened. Like 95% of everything in this movie was rebuilt (hey hey!) from the ground up. Mechanical designs, character designs, locations, story... everything. It features animation far more complex than 2.0 ever was. All of this while dealing with a natural disaster that I'm sure hindered efforts. I wouldn't say they were dragging their feet.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 am

A few jottings from /a/

Shogi symbolism  SPOILER: Show
Just to recap the shogi stuff:

Fuyutsuki: I'll start without a castle (rook), bishop and golden general
First move shown is his, looks to be a pawn
Shinji's move unknown
F: Let your mind be still, you'll lose etc.
All pieces placed back on the board in a pile from the box
Shinji takes first out of the redraw, unshown
F takes second
Shinji takes promoted pawn
F takes next
Shinji talks about his mother
F starts to talk about Yui as a student, takes the promoted silver on its side, "Now she is the control system of Unit 01"
Fuyutsuki reveals about Rei being Yuis clone
Shinji takes pawn, pile collapses
F: breaking the world isn't difficult (takes king) but rebuilding it isn't so easy
Two further unshown moves from Fuyutsuki and his side is finished.
Shinji bows, gets up and leaves

At this stage we speculate:
Promoted Silver = Yui
Kings = Gendo &amp Kaworu
Knight = Shinji
Pawns = Ayanami series
Promoted Pawn = Misato
Lances = Lances
Rooks = Evas (important ones: 01 and 13)
Promoted Rooks (Dragon Kings) = Awakened Evas

In the first game, Fuyutsuki starts with a handicap willingly, however it is an uncommon handicap as he keeps the lances. In the full setup shown he has a complete board.

another dangling loose end  SPOILER: Show
I always figured there must be a huge team on the moon base, and if there is... surely they survived 3I?

>yfw people of SEELE staying in the Moon now have an atmosphere and water supplies

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 am

Damn, that shogi catch is awesome. Awesome to the max. Probably merits a thread of its own or something...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

Even better -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_shogi
During the time of the eighth shogun, Tokugawa Yoshimune, a system was established where the castle shogi tournament was held once a year on the 17th day on Kannazuki, and today the corresponding day in the modern calendar, November 17, has been designated Shogi Day.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am

Oh, Anno, you're so amazing. What game will he play with us next? Maybe Sudoku?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 am

Pachinko seems like the next step.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Even better -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_shogi

Just what you'd expect from the master.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm

3.0 is by far my favorite of the Rebuild films so far. I'm not surprised to see it's getting hit by huge portions of the fanbase - being called a trainwreck & what not - for being what it is. Regardless of where 4.0 goes I think when all is said & done the large majority of casual viewers are going to vote the fan-friendly 2.0 as the best one.

I personally can't wait to see the four films all as one work. One crazy, kickass, emotional piece of work. I'm loving it so far.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Even better -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_shogi

:scanners_head:

Just what you'd expect from the master.

:nod:

3.0 is by far my favorite of the Rebuild films so far. I'm not surprised to see it's getting hit by huge portions of the fanbase - being called a trainwreck & what not - for being what it is. Regardless of where 4.0 goes I think when all is said & done the large majority of casual viewers are going to vote the fan-friendly 2.0 as the best one.

I personally can't wait to see the four films all as one work. One crazy, kickass, emotional piece of work. I'm loving it so far.

I completely agree with this.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”