Shinji Character Analysis (2.0/3.0)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:54 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Don't say "all" and then clarify "all" as "everybody outside this forum". :p

And lets face it, everyone actually agreeing on anything in general is pretty rare. But most of my friends in real life I've shown it tended to see 2.0s ending as a good thing at the time.

View Original PostReichu wrote:It was already happening in 2.0, but people saw what they wanted to see and ignored the warning signs. (Insert any number of Anno image macros here.)

Well at the time we all thought happily married Anno couldn't possibly produce something we'd find so dark and depressing. Boy were we wrong.
View Original PostReichu wrote:My general feelings regarding this thread at this point: The back-and-forth between either justifying/defending Shinji's actions and behavior, or decrying/villifying it, is about as productive here as it in the film. Shinji isn't going to get any further ahead in his personal journey by trying to justify his mistakes (understanding them, yes; defending them, no, not really) than he is by being considered little more than a subhuman apocalypse machine.

And especially since the story has made it explicitly clear that Shinji is guilty of what it's described as "sin" (albeit leaving the deeper digging up to us, as it rightfully should), all of the arguing about "who's really to blame for what, or how much, etc., etc." seems more fruitless than ever. Why is this conversation so obsessed with attributing blame, at the expense of so much else?

You know the saying about sin. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." 3I is not soley Shinji's fault. Gendo and Seele have more complicity in it than Shinji. But some people seem to put all the blame on Shinji. In universe we see Wille is fighting them, but it doesn't seem like they are showing them much scorn compared to Shinji. I wish this forum had polls. There are two quesions I'd love to ask. Who you think is most responsible for 3I- Gendo, Seele, Shinji. And then Who are you angriest at about causing 3I. Really it's the poeple in the conversation and their divide of viewpoints that is keeping this going more than what Shinji did or didn't do. The debate has taken on a life of it's own.
View Original PostReichu wrote:I nearly suspect that Anno is intentionally zeroing in on the human tendency to evade the acceptance of responsibility -- the human psyche is a masterful artist in this regard... --, and I'm eager to see where he takes this.

Either that, or he's a sick sadistic bastard who enjoys hurting the charecters, then grabbing the first philisofical or pschological meaning someone posts to justify it, and laughs when we all keep buying it. That was a joke. Either way, man still has his issues.

Okay, no in response to CyberXIII. Face it, Shinji would never have ended up in combat situations if left to his own. The kids not the sort to join the army, much less go out wanting to pilot an Eva. And at first (1.0) everyone treats him pretty poorly considering he's the only reason anyone's. When he gets upset about about it the response is pretty much "Suck it up you pussy". "Your in the Army now." He keeps everyone alive, gets hurt, scared, and has no clue what the hell is going one, and he gets yelled at for it. Well guess what. Shinji didn't join the army. He's not a soldier. He's a scared 14 year old with parental issues. Hmmn, maybe get him some counsling for that and the truama of combat? Pfft, just put him in an apartment with his commanding officer, herself not exactly a perfectly well adjusted example of a human being. Here's the crux of it. Shinji should never have had the fate of the world on his shoulders. He should not have been in that eva in the first place. He is not cut out to be a hero. And yet he keeps somehow finding the will to go one, dragging himself along, and trying to somehow not be hated. It wasn't a matter of if Shinji was going to screw up and something bad was going to happen. It was when. The adults in Wille can blame Shinji for 3I. He did cause it. But back when he was in Nerv they were the ones who put him in place to cause it, and they were the ones who failed to help him become someone who when the time came wouldn't cause it.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Ohh....I did. Shinji just comes off as nothing more than a petulant brat. I don't see depression towards the end of 2.0...I see a child in the middle of a snit that quietly simmers until he finally blows up in a massive temper tantrum.

In other words, you saw only what you wanted to see. Way to ignore character depth and development there. From the sound of things you only saw his completely justified explosion against Gendo earlier and nothing else. If it was a massive temper tantrum he'd have murdered Gendo before everything else. He's not that fucking evil, he just has a death wish on top of all his other issues...one that EVA-01 saw fit to grant.

In response to Darkwing....I agree.

Shinji should never have been left with the NERV crew from the get-go. And in an ideal world, he Asuka and Rei would have been left with a team of therapists years ago. But the Eva world is hardly that nice or forgiving.

@Reichu
I'm arguing over his motivations simply because people seem determined to paint him as something worse than his father, which is too simplistic to be true. Same goes for It's not about evading responsibilty; Shinji figured that out midway through 3.0. Egocentric statements aside, on some level Shinji really does want to make things right again. Why else would he bother piloting again when all it's brought him is pain? Sure, he says he wants to fix things by making it back the way it was before, but that's still better than "Nobody cares about me, so they can all just die." He hasn't reached that level of bitterness yet.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Perhaps significant to the entire discussion of Kaworu's "assessment":

Episode 11 wrote:Shinji: The stars look so pretty without all the artificial lights to block them out...
Asuka: But the city looks so lifeless without them.

and how no one inferred latent genocidal tendencies from this. Kaworu just uses more flowery language for "but it looks empty" than Asuka because he's well, Kaworu.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:57 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Perhaps significant to the entire discussion of Kaworu's "assessment":

and how no one inferred latent genocidal tendencies from this.

How does admiring a night sky translate to either a death wish or genocide?
Then again this is the definition of nitpicking....
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:How does admiring a night sky translate to either a death wish or genocide?
Then again this is the definition of nitpicking....

Don't get me wrong, this was the very point I was trying to make, since someone was saying Kaworu's comment on Shinji's explanation on how the fact that at least the sky looks the same calms him down a little is total proof of how morally repugnant he is and how trashing the planet was totally his intention.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Well at the time we all thought happily married Anno couldn't possibly produce something we'd find so dark and depressing.

Hey, now what did I say about these "all" generalizations...?

You know the saying about sin. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." 3I is not soley Shinji's fault.

Kaworu never claimed that it was, but didn't hesitate to tell Shinji that he's committed a "sin", either. I suppose that, since Kaworu is our Jesus figure, it's a given that "sin" is a thing that exists (otherwise he wouldn't be able to die for it :devil: ), but, like Jesus, he advocates forgiveness over condemnation.

Shinji has done something wrong, even if he doesn't yet understand the how and the why. Mere judgment won't help him understand, of course; it'll just cause him to buckle down into a spin cycle of self-defensiveness and try to escape from all those who are judging him. Kaworu mostly had the right idea, by combining forgiveness and forthrightness.

Gendo and Seele have more complicity in it than Shinji. But some people seem to put all the blame on Shinji. In universe we see Wille is fighting them, but it doesn't seem like they are showing them much scorn compared to Shinji.

Well, Shinji is the main character, and 3.0's presentation is focused on him, his feelings, his confusion and his being out of place and time. Wille's point of view is mostly provided through Shinji's own, and as such we only get a very limited picture. Probably quite intentionally so.

Either way, man still has his issues.

Everybody has "issues". Can't fault an artist for using film as a medium for expression, can we? :p

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:you only saw his completely justified explosion against Gendo earlier and nothing else. If it was a massive temper tantrum he'd have murdered Gendo before everything else.

Ehh, be careful about going too far in the opposite direction here. Shinji's outburst on the pyramid was quite clearly presented as a childish tantrum, stamping foot and all. That his feelings come from an understandable place doesn't make it any less a pathetic spectacle.

he just has a death wish on top of all his other issues...one that EVA-01 saw fit to grant.

Relevant:

00:51:08 {Kaworu} However, Lilin do not change themselves, but the world.
00:51:15 {Kaworu} So they brought the rite of artificial evolution unto themselves.
00:51:21 {Kaworu} Old life is offered in sacrifice,
00:51:23 {Kaworu} so that new beings blessed with the Fruit of Life may be created.
00:51:29 {Kaworu} All this is due to the death instinct that's been programmed since time immemorial.
00:51:33 {Kaworu} Nerv call it the Human Instrumentality Project.

I'm arguing over his motivations simply because people seem determined to paint him as something worse than his father, which is too simplistic to be true.

Hyperbole and colorful metaphors seem to be the order of the day, don't they?

Same goes for It's not about evading responsibilty; Shinji figured that out midway through 3.0.

It is a theme, nonetheless... And Shinji arguably figuring things out (it's really hard to know what's actually "stuck" without benefit of seeing his full character arc) doesn't stop the audience from continuing to identify with him and attempt to justify/defend him in ways that smack of vicariously "evading responsibility". (I can't say how much specific individuals are actually doing this, since it's just a general impression. If you think that I might be talking about you, that's something you have to decide for yourself.)

As I said, I'm interested to see where Anno is taking this.
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Going to double-post, because I can and the previous one was getting kind of long.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:since someone was saying Kaworu's comment on Shinji's explanation on how the fact that at least the sky looks the same calms him down a little is total proof of how morally repugnant he is and how trashing the planet was totally his intention.

Any which way, Kaworu's comment is clearly there for a reason, to highlight something significant about Shinji's psyche.

The translation ("Instead of seeking change, you prefer a world of nothingness and brutal abyss.") is a bit painfully literal, since I didn't feel like I understood it well enough to rewrite it into something smoother. What exactly do "nothingness and brutal abyss" denote? Whatever it is, I suspect the desire for these things in Shinji's subconscious mind played no small part in 3I's outcome.

The destructive power of subconscious human desire appears to be a very important theme here. Anno seems to like addressing these issues by channeling subconscious desire through phlebotinum-powered apocalypse machines (GNR in EoE, Eva-01 here) that makes them manifest in wholly disastrous ways. This has emotionally powerful results, but tends to confuse the audience ("space whale Aesops") and make them endlessly argue about technicalities that don't really matter in terms of the overall story.

I think it's a fascinating fictional exercise. In real life, the "dark side" of unconscious desire manifests in bits and bobs, and it can be really hard to get a grasp on what happens on account of "conscious intent", and what happens on account of these other, less conscious forces. In order to explore this aspect of our minds further, stories have long employed narrative devices that outright expose desires and thoughts of which we may not be consciously aware (or are suppressing, and so forth).

"Know thyself" is one of the oldest kernels of wisdom out there, and learning about the dark recesses of your own mind and what it's capable of is pretty damned important. In this sense, what Shinji didn't even know he wanted (and the Eva gave him anyway) is just as crucial to his overall character and its future growth as what he consciously set out to do.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Relevant:

00:51:08 {Kaworu} However, Lilin do not change themselves, but the world.
00:51:15 {Kaworu} So they brought the rite of artificial evolution unto themselves.
00:51:21 {Kaworu} Old life is offered in sacrifice,
00:51:23 {Kaworu} so that new beings blessed with the Fruit of Life may be created.
00:51:29 {Kaworu} All this is due to the death instinct that's been programmed since time immemorial.
00:51:33 {Kaworu} Nerv call it the Human Instrumentality Project.

Suddenly, Destrudo flashbacks
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Sorry about misusing all Reichu. But a good amount of people did think that way.

When I'm talking about Shinji getting all the blame, I'm not just talking in universe. I'm talking more about fan reaction. Some seem to consider him the worst thing ever. Now that I think about it, considering how many people 2I killed, 3I would have to have had a lower body count. And both impacts you can straight up blame Seele for. But again, their doesn't seem to be as much vitrol directed at them and Gendo as Shinji. I could be because of viewpoint in universe, but it's seems a little odd to me for the fans. I may be missreading things though. Any of the folks who are really pissed at Shinji want to let me know how you feel about Gendo and Seele?

As a country boy, cities bieng empty and the lights being off isn't all that awful a thing to me. So I'm probably not going to interpret it as mournfully as it was meant to be. I'm more affected by the devestation of nature and the red seas and earth.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:34 pm

I still think it would've been much ballsier/ more morally coherent if the writers had settled on making Shinji "consciously" aware that he started Third Impact. It feels like they want to do a story about sin, redemption, and responsibility...without actually making Shinji narratively responsible for anything. I would've preferred Raskolnikov!Shinji to whatever this shit is supposed to be.

Plus the death wish and conscious/subconscious split are both Freudian myths anyway.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:45 pm

The accuracy of Freud's theories is irrelevant, this is stuff he has been using since NGE because he likes weaving a story around it to make a point.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm

How is it "irrelevant" that Anno's approach to character is demonstrably untrue to life, in a story ostensibly about the human mind/heart/whatever?

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Because it's a fictional universe where these things do exist because he likes them as themes. It doesn't have to be an exact match to real life.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:03 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Sorry about misusing all Reichu. But a good amount of people did think that way.

When you have a minority view, it's quite difficult not to have a painful level of awareness about it. On the other hand, if you have a majority view, it's easy to lack awareness of the minority viewpoints... Perhaps all the more reason to assume by default that they're around, and never say "all" unless you really mean it.

When I'm talking about Shinji getting all the blame, I'm not just talking in universe. I'm talking more about fan reaction. Some seem to consider him the worst thing ever.

This is probably, again, a symptom of Shinji being the main character, and everything else playing second fiddle to that. It's his psyche that's "on trial" in the story itself. (Seele is there for plot reasons. Gendo is there for plot reasons, and to provide an example of "who not to become when you grow up".) They're not the people whose personal growth we have any kind of investment in (well, generally speaking...).

It may be precisely due to the audience association with Shinji that he is receiving so much grief from some individuals. Maybe something like, "I'm supposed to identify with you, but you do nothing but disappoint me." The precise reasons would be subject to psychological variation. People's involvement with their fiction is a fascinating thing.

As a country boy, cities bieng empty and the lights being off isn't all that awful a thing to me. So I'm probably not going to interpret it as mournfully as it was meant to be.

The context of Shinji commenting on the stars was pretty different in NGE. The whole interchange was basically serving, far as I can tell, to highlight the personality differences between the three main pilots. I'm not sure I want to retroactively read anything sinister into it on account of NME. And I don't think Kendrix was advocating that we do that, anyway.

View Original PostAnonymous_Evafan wrote:Suddenly, Destrudo flashbacks

For good reason, since that's basically what Kaworu is talking about.

View Original PostLucretius wrote:I still think it would've been much ballsier/ more morally coherent if the writers had settled on making Shinji "consciously" aware that he started Third Impact. It feels like they want to do a story about sin, redemption, and responsibility...without actually making Shinji narratively responsible for anything.

Far as I can tell, he is "narratively responsible". But that's going by the story's own rules, which to borrow your phrase might lack "moral cohesion". (I'm withholding judgment there until the quadrilogy is finished.)

Plus the death wish and conscious/subconscious split are both Freudian myths anyway.

Well, they might not be true quite as he and/or his acolytes described them, but there's enough truth in the notions for them to still be useful narrative tropes. Whether you decide to blame it on something called thanatos or destrudo, people do engage in self-destructive behavior, prolifically. And whether or not mental processes can be neatly divided into "conscious" and "subconscious" realms (probably not), we do frequently think and do things without really understanding why, at least not without significant reflection.

So, yeah, I don't see the problem.
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:For good reason, since that's basically what Kaworu is talking about.

I have to say the way Kaworu worded that gives me a new appreciation for the ending of EoE. Makes it all the sweeter for me.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 pm

What Kaworu does amounts to saying "You were the catalyst, there's a causal relationship there" which
a) Shinji needs to know to understand the world he found himself in and the motivations of the people in it
b) a fact he will have to come to terms with and making sure he properly understands that and doesn't slip into denial (as a defense mechanism, not because he's an asshole without basic human empathy) is the first step of the healing process.

Yes, something he did ended badly. Consequences happened. The talk is about the consequences that are a physical reality, but there isn't a single line criticising his actions in that moment itself, kaworu notably does aknowledge his good intentions without further discussions.

That conversation was not "This is why what you tried to do was sick and wrong and this is why this was the result" but "Look, this is what happened because of something you did, (without further discribing that something) you must aknowledge that this is the reality and deal with it somehow".

his initial reaction of "WTF i had nothing to do with this shit!" when he only first hears it (the subsequent curl-into-a-ball exercises suggest that this is not the perception of the event that got "saved to the hard drive" once Kaworu was done explaining, judging from their later conversation ("You showed me that!") what Shinji took away from this was "I just can't do anything right" ) is fairly understandable in that one immediate moment since he had no bloody clue it could happen.
Its a complete non sequitur to him at first.
How the hell does "save the girl" equal "poof, end of the world", basically.
("But wait, I went to save a comerade? Isn't that the good thing? If that was bad, what was I supposed to do?")
But see, even though he thinks different about it, his initial reaction is like yours, dear anti faction: He tries to look for an explanation in his initial motivations.
Yeah he thinks "but those were good" and can't get the outcome make sense in his head.
He's thinking "But if my intentions were good, how can I possibly get a bad result?"
You're thinking "Well, your results sucked, so your intentions must obviously have been vile enough to justify them."
Under the line, it's the same thing: "Bad things only happen to those who deserve them, right?"
Well, no.
No, Shinji, good intentions don't mean you can't screw up
No, Anti-faction, screwing up doesn't mean your intentions can't have been good.

That's what that scene is about, good intentions don't make you infallible, or, and that's where the actual emphasis is, exempt from dealing with the consequences of unintentional screwups. Because, don't we all have to deal with the consequences of our screwups? And do we ever intend them?
We all had that conversation with our parents.
"But Mommy, I didn't mean to knock the milk jug over!"
"Well, you're still cleaning this up!"

You see, you're having the same problem as him, as it is so very often the case with people who bitch about Shinji: He is that stage in his life that commonly occurs in the age he's in, the moment where you realize that the simple principles you were told as young children aren't universal, that life isn't fair, that there's no "equivalent exchange", that you can't always earn something if you only put in enough effort, that sometimes, good people with good intentions still screw up for reasons like misinformation, intense emotional states, stupidity or plain bad luck, and that you didn't mean to do something doesn't mean it won't have consequences you'll have to deal with.
It's a painful, frustrating thing to learn, both in regards to your own actions ("But it ain't fair!" complain teenagers all throughout the planet) and those of other people, (Like when you don't want to believe that your kind, intelligent grandma is racist... but she is, because of her upbringing, and racism is still wrong) but simply how reality works.
Look at Shinji and say hello to the mirror, this loser is you.

Conversely, that means that you can get good things even if you didn't deserve them, and another corrolary is that there are times where you really couldn't have known any better. This is probably what Kaji would say if he were here. RIP, adult guidance figure that Shinji really would have needed in this damn movie.

Because, you see, being left on his own with this realization, that no, good intentions and effort (and he certainly put some effort in, he was willing to give his whole damn life) don't always equal/guarantee that this will end with you happily riding into the sunset with your girlfriend, Shinji draws the wrong conclusion - the same as you, actually.
That he's no good, period.
Especially when he learns that he didn't even save Rei, that, in addition to all the bad that happened and was already troubling him sufficiently, he didn't even do one single good thing. (That he didn't suceed doesn't change the validity of his intentions and that fading away in his arms was probably preferable to dying with Zeruel, thinking she was utterly insignificant and trapped, but he doesn't have the streght to see that beyond his pain)
At this point, Shinji has pretty much lost all belief in his fundamental ability to do anything good for anyone at all. ("Nothing good ever came out of me piloting EVA!" )
His logic is probably: "So, even if I try my best, even if I'm willing to give my life, the result is bad? So then what I am capable of giving must be too little to reach the threshold required for a good result." He isn't capable of a differentiated view that includes the possibility of a shade of grey, that includes the possibility of "I've been had by third parties.", or any other consideration of context or that he aimed that effort at the wrong target/ poured it down the wrong tube.
And he's making the typical children's mistake of giving up after the first proper try.

And episode 26 all over again, confidence, value and what no having it can make you do. Not that he can be blamed for not feeling particularly confident after he just leveled the planet.

Kaworu convinces him to give it one last try and, in many ways, that's a good thing. He wants to subvert those plotting factions, he wants to DO something about the shit he caused, he wants to make sure no more suffering comes from his mistake, and yes, part of what he wanted was also to try to prove himself to others. I don't see why that's so vile, to want to actively do something to get his life back in order.
As Ogata said, there's also the message of "Even if your life sux, you can find hope in your connections to others."

But the thing is, deep down, he had trouble convincing himself of what Kaworu said. He didn't have the confidence, he still doubted his ability of doing something positive at all. So, he was a bit too desperate to prove that to both himself and the world. That doesn't make him a selfish monster, we're talking about finding a reason to go on living here, and why would he care about doing good things in the first place if he's only interested in his own ass?
Kaworu had more confidence, so he could think "Okay, we've been fooled, these are the wrong spears, but even if there's enemy EVAs out for our asses and we have no idea where the fucking cassius spear went, there is always hope, we can retreat and wait for another opportunity."
Shinji didn't have that inner confidence, didn't have the streght to believe in a vague "next oportunity", so, with only one last opportunity to fix it and nothing more to lose, he chose to take a chance there.
And it blew up in his face again and damned his only friend to a senseless death, shattering whatever was left of his self-worth and will to live...
Sure, we're supposed to learn from his mistakes, but that doesn't change that we should feel SORRY for that kid.

People, Shinji is very, very unsuited for this, and he knows it. It's not like doesn't see it. He kept repeating it throughout 1.0, he's not cut out for this, he's bound to do it wrong. He has learned that he still has to do it, that he can't let his fear of screwing up make him do nothing at all.
But none of that changes the initial problem: He's very, very unsuited for all of this and knows it. Yes, the latter part is part of the problem.

But so far, this Person has always been characterized as someone who, yes, desperately fears getting hurt, but also fears hurting other even more. Not exactly closet misanthrope material. The original series outright states it several time, by Rebuild, Anno is minding "show, don't tell", but I don't think the fundamental idea of this character has changed in such a fundamental part, because it's still the same author he's an avatar of (Anno, in a recent interview that was posted in the main Rebuild forum: "...I don't think Shinji's that different, he just gets percieved a bit differently but you can't change your fundamental nature.")

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Of course a major problem is the magnitude of Shinji's mistake. Spilling milk isn't that major, and you can just clean it up and buy more (hopefully not at 8 bucks a pop). How the hell do you make up for it? For some people him just accepting it, growing, and finding he can be happy isn't going to cut it. You have to buy that Shinji can actually be happy, and that he should he happy. Thing is for some people, I don't think that after all the death and destruction he caused they'll buy that message. After causing 3I could he ever deserve happiness, without some redemption first? In most things we'd be getting a redemption arc. He'd be doing something to make at least some amends, to redeem his soul. But Eva isn't most things. So the challenge is going to be making it work for some people that Shinji can find happiness, and that he is deserving of it, and I don't think that it'll ever happen now for some viewers.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I wonder if Anno isn't using some of what happened to him with the original Eva's release. That he was trying to do a work that although dark is supposed to be hopeful and optimistic, in short it was supposed to be a good thing. But there were a lot of people upset, and with angry reactions to it. Or one thing I've heard a lot in disscusion with other people I've talked to about Eva in real life is "What the hell was wrong with Anno?!" Or "Goddammit Anno!" And even explaining about his depression and such doesn't really seem to change that reaction.

MitsumuraKun51196
Adam

Postby MitsumuraKun51196 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Man I really want to see this movie
------------------------------------------------------------------
I know it isn't his fault but Shinji really did fuck up in 2.0
but still that was pretty brave what he did there and it was his choice
but I still think that's pretty selfish choosing Rei over the world It would be intresting to see if he had chosen the world.
『希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもれ』
『Hope Always Remains.In The End』

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Rebuild and Meta go hand in hand, I guess.
Or maybe Anno is venting at all the bitching he got over 2.0 "Dear viewers, please accept that I'm not gonna do the same film twice" or shit.

But yeah, the magnitudes involved are huge, but I think some of it even works in Shinji's favor, in tems of justifying that he would act less rational with that much pressure and that much of a burden in it.
Yes, greater stakes should make you act more rational, but the weight is a factor of its own, as is someone's ability to grasp it.
1.0 has this scene that has Shinji musing "everything at all, that's such a big abstract word, I can hardly imagine what that means..."
That's like having a very long lever (As aristotle (or was it archimedes?) once said "Just give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I'll move the earth my my hands") that can make huge things happen with minimal touch, and that lever are the Evangelions...
And that's basically why putting 14 year olds in them is problematic, yeah.
It's sorta an intended part of the point.

MitsumuraKun51196 wrote:but I still think that's pretty selfish choosing Rei over the world It would be intresting to see if he had chosen the world.

To chose Rei over the world, he would've needed to know that there was such a choice.
In that situation, he couldn't have chosen Rei over the world if he'd wanted to, if not for anything else, then because of the "choice" part.
He didn't know the world was actually on the menu (other than by way of Zeruel winning)
As far as the information he had available to him went, saving the word and Rei went hand in hand, as far as he knew, both required him to kill Zeruel, and no one told him that his purple plaything could blow up the world if he feels a bit too pissed while sitting in it.

It's like when you're a doctor who saves people's lives, but say that you do it mainly because it earns a lot of money for your wife and kids, not because you're very altruistic and feel it's your duty to look after random injured people.
It's a question of your personal reasons for doing something, at no point do you make a choice between the people who come into your hospital and your wife and kids.

And if the scalpels that Doctor had been given turned out to be improperly sterilized by whatever nurse is responsible for doing so, no one would blame the guy and insist that he totally wanted to kill all the patients who got infections because of that because he said that his family was more important to him.
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm

I've long believed picking fights without all the facts is stupid and pointless. For example loads of people think Shinji should have fought the Harpies and I'm like why? It doesn't do anything about Seele. They've already erased all their tracks, convinced the world you're the terrorists that want to end the world, and the people that do know their secrets thought a terrorist campaign against them was made of fail. Someone (V I think) suggested rampaging through cities to find them was a good idea. So I have a somewhat special view that I actually enjoy what Anno did because I've gotten sick of the hot blooded mecha genre being heralded as the greatest thing ever. Punching everything first without a second thought isn't cool, it's fucking stupid.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”