Shinji Character Analysis (2.0/3.0)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:15 am

View Original PostGrub wrote:Now, that last thing in quotes.. I'm still not convinced Anno is going for that particular message. I think Anno like any good writer spills His Contents onto the page in really interesting, dramatic ways. Super compelling characters. Very emotionally centered material. The TV show was basically the 3rd Impact of the anime world. Any fan here knows how he reshaped the game. But the work's never had any big single meaning… Nothing really obvious.

Technobabble, psychobabble and 'pedantry' aside, I would say Eva has always been about big, obvious messages.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Suffering builds character.

Too much of it can cause transformation into a cynic, extreme bitterness, or insanity though.

It should be noted that not everyone sees EOE's ending as all that hopeful. Oh we see what happened with Shinji's charecter. We also see that he his a total wreck, and the world is going to be very fucked up even if people do come back. Once the fridge logic of stuff like "that rotting GNR corpse is not going to be good for the ocean" sets in, it doesn't seem to hopeful. Or as a friend of mine put it, "It's nice Shinji has worked through his issues. To bad the whole planet is fucked to hell." We know what Anno meant. It just doesn't feel like it to us.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Coral
Embryo

Postby Coral » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 am

By every measure EOE's ending is nightmarishly bleak. Anyone trying to portray it as a "happy ending" is ultimately fooling only themselves.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 am

I honestly think it's meant to be somewhere in between. Anno reenforces the bleakness at the end, just as he relapsed into depression despite his resolve to move forward, but the message of hope is still present.

To steer this back, I would say that's where Anno will leave the Rebuild verse. Shinji will find some manner of redemption and move forward in a bleak universe.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:I honestly think it's meant to be somewhere in between. Anno reenforces the bleakness at the end, just as he relapsed into depression despite his resolve to move forward, but the message of hope is still present.

Yes. It's a cycle of repetition, as Anno has noted on many occasions. He's also noted that it's a puzzle box, and that there are many valid interpretations of what we see at the end. The notion that anything is so "by every measure" is contradicted both by the events onscreen and by the creator himself.

To steer this back, I would say that's where Anno will leave the Rebuild verse. Shinji will find some manner of redemption and move forward in a bleak universe.

He already did that in EoE, though. I think it's more likely we'll get something more decisive this time around, and that in the main it will be positive if bittersweet. That seems to be the best fit for his state of mind these days, anyway.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 am

Well, to be fair, 25' didn't look like 26' would end with a technical "everybody lives".
So I wouldn't discount the possibility of a happy or at least moderately positive ending yet... I just don't know how they'll do it.

From Misato's and Gendo's comments at the end, all three factions are pretty much at a stalemate right now, the finale was mostly SEELE's work, but no one's plan went exactlly just as planned.
At this point, WILLE (who are still the closest we have to good guys, despite their horrific treatment of Shinji) defeating the rest of the lot doesn't see too unlikely, and while the planet's still ruined, it may still be recolonizable.
That may be a likely ending in tune with the message, the ocean's restored to be blue somehow (Just for the mirroring of the opening and ending shots) and the few remaining humans begin the rebuilding - It will be centuries till civilation is back to what it was, but at least we're not extinct and something like that.

But while the planet/humanity may have something of a chance, it's just Shinji's personal storyline that looks hopelessly bleak to the point of no return.

Ritsuko's dialogue suggests that he can apparently cause an impact by stepping in an EVA while getting all emotional. Does he deserve all this clusterfuck for having been a little pissed? Unjustly pissed, at worst.

Another thing I'd like to mention is, remember that freakin fountain of blood from when Zeruel skewered EVA 01? It tends to get glossed over (even I didn't really think about it until recently) because that particular bout of dramatic tension is relieved when he rises/triggers the awakening, but those massive internal injuries probably didn't magically disappear here.
Presumably, he would've dropped dead in Rei's arms if his attempt to save her hadn't involved tanging... which he didn't notice, anyway. That sheer level of... never mind the metaphorical skin burning off, he shrugged of mayor internal injuries. He didn't notice he freakin' liquified...

And again, he didn't gain shit from it. There WAS no retreat to happiland - NO headtrip at all, in stark contrast to episode 20. Look at him, he's supposed to be 28. He was supposed to have a job and a family by now. He was damaged by the incident, too.
Yeah, he lives, that's more than half the earth's population can say, but he really did pay with his life, 14 years of it and everything that could've made the rest worthwhile, and got nothing in return.

And in the next incident, he lost the only person who remotely gave a damn about him right now. He was tricked, but he's still gonna blame himself because even if the trap was meant for Kaworu, he's the one who fell into it.
It was irrational and not exactly the most mature thing to do, but not any more than him charging Shamschel, really.

It gets worse once you've heard about that scene where he apparently crawls up that mountain of skulls like Moses's staff is on top of it, crawling upwards in a way that seems to accentuate - not sure, thought, I just saw a scribble. So yeah, he was probably foolish in looking for salvation else where that he can only give himself, but not any more foolish than, well, a normal depressed person.

I don't think that Shinji's "selfishness", in either continuity or incarnation, goes beyond "realistic, not completely mature human being". He's a human teenager, not an asshole or an idiot.

I think he's, by all means, punished more than enough.

Another interesting detail is the parallelism there in 2.0, to the scene where Misato tels him that she probably doesn't really care that much about the big picture, but has personal motivations that are more "her own". Shinji's line is more of a callback to this, a sort of cardboard speechy- thing. "Yeah, it's right, I've come to realize that I'm not that big hero that stands for justice, but I do want to protect the people next to me and this truly my own wish."
(which is only realism because few human beings are the pope or mother theresa. Some would even say even so-called saints are just phony. I wouldn't be cynic enough to say that truly selfless people don't exist, but they're the exception, this is why they're noble, because they do more than can be expected of a normal person. Most of the "protagonists" we see are in the "noble" batch - that's why they're interesting, because they have a quality a normal person wouldn't have. I wouldn't say that Shinji is completely un-noble either, but its more nuanced with him, he's substantially closer to an average person who probably wouldn't lay down his life for a great, big cause/ideal, but very much for very few people close to him, like most normal people might do)

That's why Misato cheered him on, because she thought he got her words. "Yeah, we're not heroes, but that doesn't change that you and I..." are family, comerades, or whatever the she would've ended that sentence with.
Her schocked reaction at the end is mostly just that, shock at the general situation and less explicitly directed at Shinji - her "transformation" was probably a gradual thing, born of the many frustrations she had to bear in the aftermath, and just time. She no longer really had it present in her head, that he's... this person, this boy with short dark hair and big blue eyes, who likes stargazing and makes some awesome Miso soup. When it all surfaced, she couldn't pull the trigger.
You could almost parallel the actions of the two, they're both fundamentally trying to fix the world, but were driven to do less than rational things in their desperation, while still generally being good people.
She just happened to have the correct intel.

Kaworu: Let go of the spears!

Ritsuko: Blow the bastard up already!

...Sure, if either of them had been listened to, 4th impact could have been averted, but...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Another thing with Shinji is that he get's stuck in a downward spiral. As he tries to make things better, he only makes them worse. Because these bad things happen, Shinji keeps feeling worse about himself, and the worse he feels the more his self esteem plummets. Lets not forget how many times he actually did save the world by fighting angels. A problem Shinji has is that he can't handle it well when things go all straight to hell, and he just ends up cracking.

EOE has an optimistic and hopeful ending. But I sure can't call it upbeat and happy. Granted for me to unabashedly call it upbeat and happy requires very high standards.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Grub
Lilith

Postby Grub » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:EOE has an optimistic and hopeful ending.

Uh, you mean, the world's just ended and the last two people on Earth hate each other? Say what you like about, "people can come back if they want to," but that's.. not very optimistic.

We've seen what it's like when people become LCL'd. They have no wills of their own. Shinji never came back in his 14 years of being tang between 2.0 and 3.0 because Shinji, apparently, didn't really exist at all except when Asuka called out to him in space.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Well I assume from what I've read and heard about the themes, EOE was supposed to be hopeful and optimistic at the ending. Honestly I got my doubts. Depends on my mood. For the most part it leaves me depressed as hell.

Hell I should just give up while I'm ahead. Eva makes me contradict myself.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:57 pm

"All life can renew itself". That sounds very optimistic to me. The last scene is sure depressing, but what it tells you is, people can misunderstand and lie to each other again, it's all back to normal. It's just being realistic, after that ordeal, they're not gonna be all out happy, but they can live on. It sure looks a lot better than Q right now. No sign of detanging anywhere, seems like everyone involved in TI/4I was properly killed. And Shinji's properly hated by everyone.

View Original PostGrub wrote:We've seen what it's like when people become LCL'd. They have no wills of their own. Shinji never came back in his 14 years of being tang between 2.0 and 3.0 because Shinji, apparently, didn't really exist at all except when Asuka called out to him in space.

That is a difference in mechanics between Rebuild and the original.
Compare/contrast episode 20. Shinji eventually became aware of his situation and was concious enough to internally debate wether to go back or not. There was a glimmer of conciousness. At least in EoTV, he seems to have retained memories of it. Yui sure had a will of her own inside EVA 01. We don't know how much she was ware of her surroundings, but it was enough to make most the events go all keikaku doori up to EoE.

In Rebuild, there was no headtrip, no happy place, no anything (that alone should've shut up the "he went to happiland and left the rest to rot"-camp. There was no isolated happiland.) - from the moment he seems to liquify, only his "front side" seems solid, the rest kinda fades like flames. He probably sustained the parts he needed to interact with Rei as a separate entity/ accomplish his objective with his conciousness alone, but after he accomplished his objective and thanked Rei, there was nothing more to sustain his idea of himself, I guess.
Instead, it's like he was in a coma or something, the last thing he remembers is the last thing we saw.
"Where am I? Where's Rei? Wasn't I just hugging her? She was holding the player... I just got her out of that thing!"

Then again, EVA 01's response was suspiciously tied to Asuka calling his name. Maybe his puny human brain can't make sense of the memories of a godlikeb being, or it was a very subconcious thing.
Makes you wonder about how classc berserks work here/what they are. Is Rebuild!Yui in a similar state of unconciousness?

What is also interesting is that this stopped on its own, apparently.
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:58 pm

View Original PostGrub wrote:Uh, you mean, the world's just ended and the last two people on Earth hate each other? Say what you like about, "people can come back if they want to," but that's.. not very optimistic.

Sure it is. People went through Instrumentality, and now everyone who's died -- at the very least everyone during the JSSDF invasion, but who knows how far back it goes? -- can come back to life. Misato, Ritsuko, all the technicians killed by the JSSDF, everyone Asuka killed, everyone. I would say a giant reset like that that gives absolutely everyone the chance to come back and make a life for themselves is pretty darn hopeful, particularly when we have no reason to think anywhere other than Hakone (and the U.S., hur hur) suffered significant damage as a result.

Things will be a chaotic mess for awhile, yes, but it's a damn sight better than anything we've seen in Q.

We've seen what it's like when people become LCL'd. They have no wills of their own. Shinji never came back in his 14 years of being tang between 2.0 and 3.0 because Shinji, apparently, didn't really exist at all except when Asuka called out to him in space.

That's in NTE, though. Things don't work the same way there that they do in NGE, so comparing the two is pointless. And it's beside the point, anyway; the point is that Anno doesn't do downer endings (well, at least not downers that don't have serious caveats to them), so we can expect Shinji's actions to have some sort of payoff in Final. He has to put all of his painful lessons to work and move forward, breaking his cycle of self-destruction and becoming a legitimate adult in the process. All of this is wasted if he doesn't get a chance to do that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm

I keep thinking that maybe Anno thought "Okay, so he's stronger now... He sort of learned the lesson, at least part of it... so lets put him through a proper test. Can he hand on to being a more active person if the encourangement stops and he is faced with the truth that yes, just as he feared, if he does things by himself, he can and will do some of them wrong?"

Which would mean that Final will end with an impressive depiction of good old Schillerian Constatia on Shinji's part, kinda like in Nadia, when the villain kills her boyfriends before her eyes and she still refuses to fold and obey him or something.
And then they recolonize the planet.

But again, that's what my analysis tells me, I'm so stuck emphasizing how horrible and hopeless Shinji's situation seems to be.

The interview sorta had this mentions of positive growth, how he's supposed to be stronger than his series counterpart by now, he was still getting stronger in his way, how he left of his own free will and how he ultimately "finds hope in his connections"...

You could see such a thing in the original, too, that Shinji kept trying. He was willing to face Arael. He was capable of shooting the dog by episode 24. But it didn't matter anymore.

Hence, my idea about that "final test" angle.
that makes me feel more hopeful of all sudden, like I just began to get WTF Kaworu and Anno were talking about.

Kaworu's parts seem to be the ones who stayed the closest "to the plan" as evidenced by dialogue from EoTv, Ishida's talk of a plan and the general stylistic similarity with 1.11, down to the music and lighting.

Remember when we first saw 1.0 and thought it was darker, with less humor, more focus on the destroyed situation?

It also helps that both Mari and Kaworu tell him classic "continue your hero's yourney, young skywalker"-kind of stuff.

"You should find a place of peace and self, Fate will surely guide you"

"Get to know the world a little, puppy!"

That also goes well with Kaworu's piano-explanation there. "If you can't do something well, practice untill you can." - ie, if stuff blows up in your face, don't give up, better luck next time.
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:18 pm

If you want to talk about EoE, Discussion is that-a-way.

And a little more topic in this thread, if ya'll don't mind.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Something I saw in the translation made me think a bit. Now before we begin, disclaimer. I can't always tell with the translation who's talking to who, so I may be missreading things. Okay, so It seems like Asuka wanted Shinji to help her against the awakened or whatever Mark-09. But of course he's busy freaking out about 4th impact and Kawrou's death. Now this makes me think about a few things. First off, Asuka is upset about Shinji not doing something and saving her during the Unit-03 fiasco. But if you think about what Shinji was like at the end of 2.0, then he would have definitly tried to save her. Next we have Unit-01 saving her from the Nemesis series in space. Shinji instinctivly reacts to save her. Now at the end of 3.0, Shinji is again in a state where he does nothing. And it seems Asuka is upset with him for still bieng a "brat".

Now I find this interesting for how it charts Shinji's charecter growth. He improves a bit, but then as shit happens, he falls back down, and deeper. Also one has to wonder how the growing up is going to happen. Is all the blame soley on Shinji for not bieng "mature" or "responsible"? Or is at least some of the blame on others for how their actions affected him? And another thing is that I don't know if just automatically accepting blame for everything counts as being mature. Yeah, Shinji does try to avoid responsibility, but at other times, granted for more minor things, he has appologized for things that aren't his fault. Just being a doormat isn't mature and healthy either. And their is one more theamatic thing I noticed.

Even if they are disgusted with, or hate him, people keep needing to depend on Shinji. They needed him to fight the angels. Asuka needed him to save her in space. Simply put, they keep needing Shinji's help, even when they don't want it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote: Now at the end of 3.0, Shinji is again in a state where he does nothing. .

He couldn't. As someone mentioned earlier in this very thread, he couldn't controll anything since the instant 4I started. SEELE hax, as in Rei's case.

It's the Bakelite situation, basically.

The worst is that Kaworu's death is for nought this time - He dies, Eva 13 falls out of the sky... and it still goes on.
Mari ends the impact by removing Shinji's entry plug and the planet still looks like it's past its expiration date.

Mari, who only narrowly escaped, is still unaccounted for and already got injured once when Shinji wouldn't fight.
Oh the guilt.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:55 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Now before we begin, disclaimer. I can't always tell with the translation who's talking to who, so I may be missreading things.

It helps to have a a copy of the full audio rip handy. :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It helps to have a a copy of the full audio rip handy. :devil:

Yeah... I really can't do that with my internet connection.

I do hope though that whatever epipheny Shinji has that makes him grow as a person, we actually get to see a bit of what he's like afterwards.

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:34 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Yeah... I really can't do that with my internet connection.

I don't know how bad your internet is, but the audiorip is only <40MB. That's downloadable even on 56k dial-up, even if it'll take a while.

I do hope though that whatever epipheny Shinji has that makes him grow as a person, we actually get to see a bit of what he's like afterwards.

I don't.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby LiLi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote:Visually, what sorta drives it home for me is the image of Shinji, piloting the Eva, gritting his teeth with effort and practically crawling (?) to reach
1) the position to shoot Ramiel 2) Rei 3) the Lances in Jo/Ha/Q respectively (perhaps someone else who has seen Q could confirm or disprove the latter).

Shinji crawling on Lilith's back and toward the Lances in Q confirmed by user Adam in another thread. :emogendo:

Alzheimer, you don't have me yet!
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Okay something I've been thinking bout. In some of the other threads there's been some speculation one who Shinji's "guide" in final will be. Talk about Mari or Asuka. But here's something. What if it's Gendo? But not like it would be for the others. More like Shinji finding out more about his father, and how he's ended up the way he is, as a cautionary. A sort of "Do you really want to be like this guy?"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”