Shinji Character Analysis (2.0/3.0)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:55 pm

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:The fact is Misato saw the halo appear and she still urges him to go at it. And she can't influence his actions... What actions? was Shinji aware of what was happening? She's guilty for being his commanding officer and not telling him how things are looking outside. He screwed up because he was greenlit to do it. How did she deal with the weight?

Your irrational hatred for Misato is getting better of you. Shinji was not giving a single fuck about what anyone was saying at that point. Misato and Ritsuko might've as well stripped down naked and pull a human centipede and Shinji wouldn't have batted eyelash

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Your irrational hatred for Misato is getting better of you. Shinji was not giving a single fuck about what anyone was saying at that point. Misato and Ritsuko might've as well stripped down naked and pull a human centipede and Shinji wouldn't have batted eyelash

Mmm... you may be right on that one. However, misinformation in Shinji's behalf alone absolves him from much of the guilt. If I kill someone in self-defense that was not trying to kill me, but it seemed as such... would I be imprisoned for murder? Or not?
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

penguintruth
Lilith

Postby penguintruth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Kind of funny that the thing everyone in the fandom was praising him for (going after Rei and retrieving her from the Angel) is the the thing that screwed everyone over in-universe.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Kind of funny that the thing everyone in the fandom was praising him for (going after Rei and retrieving her from the Angel) is the the thing that screwed everyone over in-universe.

Perhaps among viewers at large but EGF was a bloody battleground over whether Shinji was supposed to be a huge huge slimy bastard at end of 2.0 for years.

That debate more than anything else burned down the subforum back in the day

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:05 pm

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:Mmm... you may be right on that one. However, misinformation in Shinji's behalf alone absolves him from much of the guilt. If I kill someone in self-defense that was not trying to kill me, but it seemed as such... would I be imprisoned for murder? Or not?

you would be charged with manslaughter, you still killed people regardless of culpability.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm

In my considered opinion, based on the evidence to date, at least one of these "spoilers" came to pass. The one that was totally predictable.

SPOILER: Show
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:you would be charged with manslaughter, you still killed people regardless of culpability.

Some laws exempt you because you're doing it on self-defense. Not sure if it's universal though.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:In my considered opinion, based on the evidence to date, at least one of these "spoilers" came to pass. The one that was totally predictable.

Best 5 seconds ever, you'll see ;________;

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Best 5 seconds ever, you'll see ;________;

Which?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Personally I sort of interpreted Shinji's actions as bieng like this. Someone you love is trapped under a log. In order to save them from dying you must move the beam. Since you want them to live you move the beam. Afterwards you learn that you caused a bridge to collapse, killing the people on the bridge. You were warned you may injure yourself and never walk again. You heard creaking when moving the log. You were not told moving the log would collapse the bridge. Does this make your action selfish, and or wrong? In my viewpoint, no. It makes it tragic, but you are not selfish or guilty. Trying to save someone you love is not selfish.

This. It's just tragic.
What's he gonna DO now, what's he freakin' gonna DO?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 pm

View Original PostStratoSakuya...AF wrote:Which?

The one about Pinkie.

Though more cynical folk than I might suggest that the one about Shinji brings the total to 2.

prototype00
Embryo

Postby prototype00 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:50 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:This. It's just tragic.
What's he gonna DO now, what's he freakin' gonna DO?

Because Shinji is a classical anti hero and a tragic hero, it doesn't matter what he'll do. Because he will always fail. Sad isn't it.
Something isn't right

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:53 pm

About the only out, and it would probably would be a cop out, I could come up with is this. It's mentioned that when the pull out Shinji they aren't sure if it's Shinji. Well that and the revalation Yui played Shogi got me thinking. What if Shinji in 3.0 is like what happened to Kyoko in the original series? He's acting stupid and crazy because part of his soul is missing, making him stupid and crazy. What's more Yui has an agenda of her own. She could be influncing him and getting him to act to pomote her own agenda.

Yeah It's grasping at straws, and I don't buy it myself, but I figured I'd put it out there.

I thought of another reason for Rei to be absent. She wouldn't hold 3rd Impact against him as much as others. And not because of the saving her bit. What was Rei created for? To influince 3rd impact. She could very easily have been the triggerman instead of Shinji. And this makes Kawrou's attitude towards Shinji make even more sense.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:22 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:I thought of another reason for Rei to be absent. She wouldn't hold 3rd Impact against him as much as others. And not because of the saving her bit. What was Rei created for? To influince 3rd impact. She could very easily have been the triggerman instead of Shinji.

Hang on; if I recall what I've read correctly, 3rd impact was cut short, supposedly by Kaworu's lance. But what if the actual act which cut it short was Shinji removing Rei from the angel? She'd have good (for her) reason to be pissed with him in that case.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But what if the actual act which cut it short was Shinji removing Rei from the angel?
Wait, no, you have to watch the footage again if you can speculate that, because him pulling her out is precisely when things started going even more to crap. Lancing Eva-01 is what caused all the floating stuff to fall back down and the sky to come back.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:30 pm

OK, I suspected that was out of line, but I just felt like trying it for size...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:35 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Hang on; if I recall what I've read correctly, 3rd impact was cut short, supposedly by Kaworu's lance. But what if the actual act which cut it short was Shinji removing Rei from the angel? She'd have good (for her) reason to be pissed with him in that case.

I meant she could have ended up bieng the cause and the one who triggered it, and was hated, not Shinji. I didn't mean that she was wanting it to happen.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Drabant
Banned

Postby Drabant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Post on different viewpoints

I think you're spot on here. There's more agenda rather than thought behind this. I suppose some are more concerned about who Shinji saves rather than why/how he is saving Rei.

From what I've been able to gather from the recent translated bits of the audio rip of Q, Shinji did not know what he was doing. He was convinced he was just saving Rei. He had absolutely no idea.

Thus your "saving someone is good" comment along with the "accidental beam collapsing the bridge" rings true.

All I can say, that Shinji is, (he always was but now more than ever) redeemed in my eyes. For now, until more information is revealed, I am safe in my position, I think.

I cannot possibly blame Shinji for causing something he did not intend, for something he had no idea would happen, and possibly, something he was duped into doing. I was certain he would be blamed for it, and seemingly he was in 3.0.

SPOILER: Show
Shinji: I didn’t do it! I don’t know anything! I just want to save Ayanami.
Kaworu: You did… and it started Third Impact.
Shinji: Even if that’s the case, I was unaware of it! I can’t be blamed!
Kaworu: But this is what you did.
Shinji: AHHHHH!(crash)

http://pastebin.com/mzH3PSP6

Undoubtedly his actions caused 3I. But can he really be blamed, as in it was a personal fault?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 pm

View Original PostDrabant wrote:Undoubtedly his actions caused 3I. But can he really be blamed, as in it was a personal fault?

Seems like you kind of answered your own question there. Really, I don't think it would matter all that much if he'd gotten back into Eva-01 with an end goal of transforming everything into flowers and bunnies. He still destroyed the world, and the responsibility for that can't be pushed off onto anyone else. Kaworu is right: it is what he did and making excuses isn't going to improve the situation; neither is frantically trying to redo things.

I'm not sure why people are trying to avoid blaming Shinji when Shinji clearly and rightly blames himself for it, so much so that he will literally risk destroying the world again just to avoid facing the consequences of his actions.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Seems like you kind of answered your own question there. Really, I don't think it would matter all that much if he'd gotten back into Eva-01 with an end goal of transforming everything into flowers and bunnies. He still destroyed the world, and the responsibility for that can't be pushed off onto anyone else. Kaworu is right: it is what he did and making excuses isn't going to improve the situation; neither is frantically trying to redo things.

I'm not sure why people are trying to avoid blaming Shinji when Shinji clearly and rightly blames himself for it, so much so that he will literally risk destroying the world again just to avoid facing the consequences of his actions.

Well obviously intention is important thing to judge when he hold people accountable but it's indeed odd many are doing anything to shift the blame from Shinji onto anything else when films themselves and even Shinji - finally - realizes he's at fault.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”